Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #706
Smithers167
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Well the bike still leans I just leave my body upright most of the time. I would love to buy new tires but im waiting till next year some time to get a new set of 60 40 or 70 30 for an alaska trip. Would love to get multiple sets. But there are a few other things i want.

Anyone know if I need to tune the bike if i get the rc8 stacks, intake, remove the 2nd flies? Im just looking to smooth the engine out not so much adding power wise. Eventually ill get exhaust too.
Smithers167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #707
Smithers167
Gnarly Adventurer

We should have an smt/smr ride in the seattle area some time.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #708
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers167 View Post
Anyone know if I need to tune the bike if i get the rc8 stacks, intake, remove the 2nd flies? Im just looking to smooth the engine out not so much adding power wise. Eventually ill get exhaust too.
Yes you will need to, but with tuneecu it's a piece of cake.
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #709
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
Yes you will need to, but with tuneecu it's a piece of cake.
+1 plenty of pre-made tunes on the SMT forums. Made big changes for my bike by adding a good air filter/airbox removal and removal of 2nd flys.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #710
Smithers167
Gnarly Adventurer

Ya, I'm not looking for a race bike. I think the bike is fast enough to get me trouble for now till I get better at riding. I do want it to be a little smoother though. I'm jealous of my friends triumph 800. (only by hot smooth it is LOL)
Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #711
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
If you remove the flys you'll have to retune, no matter the end goal.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #712
Smithers167
Gnarly Adventurer

Alright sounds good. I'll get some parts together over the winter and do a big upgrade weekend before spring next year and do the mapping all at once. Sounds like the big know it all on the SMT forum is Kev so I'll have to pick is brain on the right tune for my eventual setup. Anyone run the setup I want to do?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:33 AM   #713
Christophe
weekend warrior

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Hey guys i am curious to what your riding position is while cornering in tight fast twisties. Being mostly a dirtbike rider i have a tendency to let the bike lean under me vs leaning with the bike. Having not riden sm or rr bikes much my confidence in cornering fast and pushing the limits of the bike/tires is pretty small. I'm still running stock attack tires and have not heard many good things about them. How far can these bikes lean?
Thanks
I started on the SMT coming from off road (690R now) and I have asked this same question again and again. With the conti sport attack 1 I could not lean much, then switched to M5 and with the extra confidence I started scraping the foot pegs... At low speed I lean the bike hard and push the outside peg to keep traction and use the inside leg for occasional push during a slide (MX style), and at high speed I hang off the seat inside the curve to avoid scraping the pegs (or wearing out my boots!) too much. Great fun.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #714
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Alright sounds good. I'll get some parts together over the winter and do a big upgrade weekend before spring next year and do the mapping all at once. Sounds like the big know it all on the SMT forum is Kev so I'll have to pick is brain on the right tune for my eventual setup. Anyone run the setup I want to do?
RC8 stack in the front, standard stack in the rear, pull the secondaries, block the SAI, CPR filter and some cans and it is smooth and pulls like a freight train.
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #715
Smithers167
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
RC8 stack in the front, standard stack in the rear, pull the secondaries, block the SAI, CPR filter and some cans and it is smooth and pulls like a freight train.
That sound likes good plan to me!

My buddy wants to sell his multi strada and he has pr3's with 4k miles. Trying to talk him into trading me straight up for mine and i pay to have the tires switched lol. Think he'll go for it? The next tires I'm going to buy ate going to be for am Alaska trip. Probably going with pirelli mt60.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #716
mastera210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
That sound likes good plan to me!

My buddy wants to sell his multi strada and he has pr3's with 4k miles. Trying to talk him into trading me straight up for mine and i pay to have the tires switched lol. Think he'll go for it? The next tires I'm going to buy ate going to be for am Alaska trip. Probably going with pirelli mt60.
The great thing about bike is you can ride it both ways RR style or SM style when you turn off ABS and start backing it in and sliding it around FUN! As far as tires for dirt roads etc you dont have much choices as rear is 180 MT60R only goes to 160 and lucky to get 2,000 out of it. I think the Pirelli Scorpion Trail for the SMT

Also dont go CRAZY with mods! Like you said this is not a race bike. Yes you can do it and after a LOT of money you can pickup a little over 10hp make it LOUD and get attenion of the ones you dont COPs. Mine I disabled ASI to stop poping. And EPC then had FI remapped. And totally happy with it! BTW im 54 and have championships in MX/Offroad/Road Race/Flat Track And did 215mph at salt flats on Muzzy built 220hp 2000 ZX12 so have been there done that!

But its your bike you can do what you want. Just remember till you can ride it a use up everything bike has you dont need more!
mastera210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #717
mastera210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
OH and a 16T CS Sprocket
mastera210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #718
Smithers167
Gnarly Adventurer

10-4 on the mt60. Need to do a lot more reach i guess. I need a tire that will last 4000 easy. It is 2500 miles to prudoe bay straight shot. I want something that will feel comfortable on gravel road with tons of gear. We will be exploring not just highway. Taking the ferry back to bellingham from some place in alaska. I guess i could have a rear tire shipped up to some shop in fairbanks so i know they have one that fits.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #719
DeedsyDragon
Moto Dragon

Oddometer: 101
This thread needs more pichurs! Where they at?!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #720
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,489
Quote:
10-4 on the mt60. Need to do a lot more reach i guess. I need a tire that will last 4000 easy.
The Perilli Scorpion may be your best bet. It looks like it could almost be compared to a Tourance. It would be fine on a dirt road. If its mud and greasy clay there won't be much hope with any tire, unless you can find a way to mount TKCs.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote