Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 01:28 AM   #16
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Hmmmmmmmmmm I did the reset a while back and it did not trigger the "service due" indicator ...

BTFOM............
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
wacuff
F800GS

Oddometer: 22
ABS issue

I removed the front tire this weekend 'gently', swapped out the punctured tube, remounted etc. and started to ride again straight away. Within minutes the ABS solid light was on indicating that the system was 'off.' Pulled over on the side of the road (night) got a flashlight going and saw that the black plastic sensor was actually touching the rotor. After further investigation it seems that the last owner never replaced the left side axle bushing which served as a spacer for the sensor.

I tried loosening up the axle tension just enough to get the ABS sensor some distance, and it worked for about the next 24 hours. This morning on the way into work it was back on again, telling me in angry red letters that I still have a problem.

Anyone have any tips on this? Will be getting that bushing asap but really don't want to replace the whole ABS sensor component....
wacuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #18
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornexts912
Had the same problem. Different tires....I put the stockers back on and the problem went away put the TKC's on and the problem came back....the ABS on that bike SUCKS!!!!! Almost cost me my life on road with TKC's...the fix after all the problems with the 800 GS???? IE bad front rim, poor chain, axle recall, I could go on and on, but sell it and buy a KTM...

I'm on my second set of TKC's and the ABS works just fine.

How did it almost cost you your life?

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #19
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacuff
I removed the front tire this weekend 'gently', swapped out the punctured tube, remounted etc. and started to ride again straight away. Within minutes the ABS solid light was on indicating that the system was 'off.' Pulled over on the side of the road (night) got a flashlight going and saw that the black plastic sensor was actually touching the rotor. After further investigation it seems that the last owner never replaced the left side axle bushing which served as a spacer for the sensor.

I tried loosening up the axle tension just enough to get the ABS sensor some distance, and it worked for about the next 24 hours. This morning on the way into work it was back on again, telling me in angry red letters that I still have a problem.

Anyone have any tips on this? Will be getting that bushing asap but really don't want to replace the whole ABS sensor component....

Back the sensor out with a washer between the sensor and the mount.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
I'm on my second set of TKC's and the ABS works just fine.
Have You compared Your how long it takes to stop the bike with/without ABS when You have knobbies on? Try it on tarmac and You're in for a surprise. I bet You will stop faster whith the ABS disabled (under controlled circumstanses). At least I do.

I'm not that impressed with the ABS on the F800 when running on knobbies. I think it's to sensitive for knobbies since they loose grip faster than a road tire. To me it seems as the ABS kicks in "between the knobs". I like the ABS on my 650GS thumper better since it let's the tire lock a split second longer between the ABS pulses which gives better brake performance with knobbies. I think the ABS pulses are slower on my 650GS and that's why I think it performs better with knobby tires than the F800.

Having said this I still think there are advantages with the ABS on the F800 compared to not having ABS. But I think BMW could do a better job on the ABS of the F800.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #21
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornexts912
Had the same problem. Different tires....I put the stockers back on and the problem went away put the TKC's on and the problem came back....the ABS on that bike SUCKS!!!!! Almost cost me my life on road with TKC's...the fix after all the problems with the 800 GS???? IE bad front rim, poor chain, axle recall, I could go on and on, but sell it and buy a KTM...
Bullshit!! My bullshit meter is going off its tits!!!

Damaged ABS sensor!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #22
Motowalt OP
UNSTOPPABLE!

Oddometer: 414
OK
Took the bike to my dealer...they advised that once my particular ABS sensed something was wrong (either with dirt on the sensor, or me not removing the front sensor during the knobby tire change) the bike would not reset the ABS and they had to reset it via their computer.

It seems to work fine now.

I agree that running knobbies on the street, I prefer not having the ABS on for better feel if not better stopping distances. FWIW
Old 03-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #23
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowalt
OK

I agree that running knobbies on the street, I prefer not having the ABS on for better feel if not better stopping distances. FWIW

I run TKCs on the street all the time and I prefer to have the ABS on until I get off the pavement. I think stopping distance will still be much shorter with ABS vs. locking up and sliding.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
[QUOTE=Motowalt;12502646]OK
Took the bike to my dealer...they advised that once my particular ABS sensed something was wrong (either with dirt on the sensor, or me not removing the front sensor during the knobby tire change) the bike would not reset the ABS and they had to reset it via their computer.

Is there any further wisdom on this issue? I had the same problem 09 800GS.
fitted Heidenau K60s. ABS light comes on after 10 or so miles. Doubt it is the tires, since problem showed up 500 miles after tire change.

Motowalt - did your problem stay solved after the dealer reset your ABS?
396427454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowalt View Post
OK

Interesting comment from the dealer. I bent the rear wheel sensor ring and the ABS light came on. After I straightened up the ring and then turned the bike on and off, the light went away.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #26
kazi77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Interesting comment from the dealer. I bent the rear wheel sensor ring and the ABS light came on. After I straightened up the ring and then turned the bike on and off, the light went away.

David
I had the same issue couple of weeks ago, just straightened up that rotor, it's working fine.
kazi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #27
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Question ABS won't turn off...ABS won't turn off...

2013 F800GS ABS will not turn off...:

When I picked it up from the dealer, the ABS would not turn off - I figured I would re-read the manual when I got home. Followed instructions....ABS would not turn off. Took it back to the dealer, they attempted to diagnose the fault but were not able to turn off the ABS or locate a clear fault. Dealer ordered a new ABS switch, replaced it under warranty...ABS still would not turn off.

Dealer had the bike the past 4 days to attempt a fix. Dealer says they have spoken with BMW USA and tried upgrading the "software"...ABS still will not turn off. Now they are waiting to hear from the motherland.

I like my dealer a LOT, it seems to me they are trying their best to resolve the issue. I emailed Stephen at Burnsmoto.com a few minutes ago asking if his ABS OFF switch might help. I saw other forums on the traction control issues with the F800GS that seemed similar. Any one else had this issue that I am having? Any suggestions?

If you had the same problem and your dealer fixed your ABS so it will turn off, can you either reply which dealer it was and who to speak with at the dealer or PM me.

Is removing the front sensor a temporary or even "emergency" fix?

I ride 70% off road....I would like the ABS to turn off.

Pangia screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 11:04 AM Reason: too wordy, made it simpler
Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #28
docsherlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
You see, I just don't want shit like this in my life - I have enough already.

That's why I just bought a 2012 V-Strom 650. ABS can't be turned off, but it shouldn't blow a gasket every time one wants to use it either....

QUOTE=Pangia;20683908]2013 F800GS ABS will not turn off...

When I picked it up from the dealer, the ABS would not turn off...I figured I would re-read the manual when I got home. Followed instructions....ABS would not turn off.... Took it back to the dealer - they attempted to diagnose, but were not able to turn off the ABS or locate a clear fault. Dealer ordered a new ABS switch, replaced it under warranty...ABS still would not turn off....

Dealer had the bike the past 4 days to attempt a fix. Dealer says they have spoken with BMW USA and tried upgrading the "software"...ABS still will not turn off..... Now they are waiting to hear from the motherland.

I like my dealer, it seems to me they are trying their best to resolve the issue. I emailed Stephen at Burnsmoto.com a few minutes ago asking if his ABS OFF switch might help. I saw other forums on the traction control issues with the F800GS that seemed similar. Any one else had this issue that I am having? Any suggestions?

If you had the same problem and your dealer fixed your ABS so it will turn off.., can you either reply which dealer it was and who to speak with at the dealer or PM me.

Is removing the front sensor a temporary or even "emergency" fix?

I ride 70% off road....I would like the ABS to turn off. If there is an ABS switch goddess who I can make an offering to please tell me the mantra and what offering to make....

Did I mention, the ABS will not turn off?....[/QUOTE]
docsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #29
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
I believe the Burnsmoto switch works by installing a switch in the wiring from the rear wheel sensor to the ABS control unit. The connector where it taps in is under the seat near the diagnostic plug. (Check the install instructions on the Burns site for details & to make sure I am correct on this)....

If so as a quick check you could simply unplug that connector under the seat (bike turned off of course).

On a normal bike this would register a fault with the ABS computer at next power-up, and the ABS computer would then DISable the ABS system since it needs both wheel sensors to be working for it to do its ABS magic....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #30
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I believe the Burnsmoto switch works by installing a switch in the wiring from the rear wheel sensor to the ABS control unit. The connector where it taps in is under the seat near the diagnostic plug. (Check the install instructions on the Burns site for details & to make sure I am correct on this)....

If so as a quick check you could simply unplug that connector under the seat (bike turned off of course).

On a normal bike this would register a fault with the ABS computer at next power-up, and the ABS computer would then DISable the ABS system since it needs both wheel sensors to be working for it to do its ABS magic....
JR Wooden, Thank you for the reply regarding the Burnsmoto switch. Stephen from Burnsmoto replied that he has "stopped making and selling that cable as sales were very low. i would use the GS911 to diagnose your problem."

Regarding my ABS not turning off: My dealer was able to identify the problem - it is within the BMSK. There is no fault that will display on their shop diagnostic computer system for this particular situation. To diagnose, they put in a donor BMSK and then the ABS would turn off - so that is how the issue was diagnosed. They will have a replacement BMSK delivered in 1-2 weeks.

I have to hand it to my dealer - they were resourceful and put in a lot of extra hours to get this resolved as fast as they could.

Regarding riding with the ABS on - I did go for another ride yesterday, an 85 mile loop of dirt, gravel and forest service roads that I use as my "training ground" and there were a few times I wish I could have locked up the rear wheel. Instead, I had to downshift a lot more and not go into corners as fast as I might otherwise.
Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote