Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #706
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I hadn't noticed that before, now I need to look at it in Lightroom and see if its there as well or something that happened during the conversion from nef to jpg or while getting uploaded to Smugmug.
That's chromatic aberration, I don't own one but I can't seeing the 24-70 being that bad. And IIRC CaptureNX fixes that automatically on a lot of settings so you're losing a bit of sharpness there.

Go take a sample photo with the 24-70 @~60mm and then use the 60. Go through a bit of the aperture range.

I wouldn't be shocked if the 60 (macro right?) is a little sharper but it shouldn't be too bad. The other issue you could have is focusing.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #707
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
That watermark

You should pick a better font, standard color or 2 (I use just translucent B&W) because right now the web address jumps out first not the photo. The contrasting colors is the worst bit though as it really just brings the attention to it and hurts the aesthetics of the photos.

If you're concerned with people taking the photo...just put up a small watermark and only put it online in a small size, say 800 on the long end. People can repost your image and potentially take out the watermark but they wont have anything they can print/sell. Or if you're trying to automate it do the watermark across the full frame but have the opacity really low, this way it's there and yes it takes a little from the image but not much.

1) On the photochop it just doesn't make much sense, the wing moves perfectly horizontal, and both it and the plane are still upright? Try rotating them to make it look like that Corsair really did just make the kill and the Japanese plane is out of control.

2) This one will be a bit harder, you've got a good start to making the photo look older with the tint and everything else but it still looks too sharp. So I'd mess around with slight blurs, and maybe try to distress the photo slightly. Just be careful as the standard filters for this can look fake quickly...now you're getting into the world of basically painting on your photos.

3) Here you want to make this a bit more dynamic in the framing, right now it's a pic of a B-29 there's nothing really wrong with it just it leans more towards a reference photo than an artistic one.

4) Just too jagged of a photochop, try feathering the edges of objects before you put them in.
Thanks for the input! Rather new to Photoshop. Spent 40 years as a commercial
photographer - film! This "old Dog" is trying to learn new tricks.

I appreciate the input! Wish you did "house calls"!
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #708
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 642
 photo UnsungHeroWorkWatermarkSample_zpsfd399983.jpg

OK. Let's see if this one is sized right. Still working on the other "stuff"
No idea how to do a "blind" watermark.

Note: Just checked the size. Falls apart pretty quick - Thanks for the heads up.
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #709
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHJPHOTO View Post
 photo UnsungHeroWorkWatermarkSample_zpsfd399983.jpg

OK. Let's see if this one is sized right. Still working on the other "stuff"
No idea how to do a "blind" watermark.

Note: Just checked the size. Falls apart pretty quick - Thanks for the heads up.
NP, The tank destroyer is a little off still, either back off its contrast or up it for the rest of the scene. But overall it's pretty good, if someone quickly looked at the photo it could pass for real so there you're doing well. Going from this point to something that can pass close inspection is the tough part because you really need to obsess over it to make sure every part is realistic. That's why if you see photochops online a lot of the time they will be saved under poor settings so any of those issues are hidden with all the JPEG artifacts.

For the plane you should take the contrast a good bit down and maybe lighten it. In that shot the haze is coming in pretty close in the background and since that plane would be a decent distance from the camera you'll need to give it that hazy effect. I'd also try a slight blur with it to take down the sharpness.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #710
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,931
All of these pics were taken with a Nikon D50 and 18-200. Blowing them up they appear soft, I cannot tell if it is a soft lens or out of focus.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #711
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,931
Bump.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #712
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
Bump.
I'll need bigger files to really look into that, PM sent.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #713
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,155
Old 07-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #714
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
What's the little bird in the corner?

In the photo itself you tried to capture too much of the scene for the sensor, sunsets are tricky and push pretty much any camera.. The part above the thick clouds is the closest to being properly exposed though it still has some blown out regions. And that leaves the rest of it underexposed by a good margin.

The easiest way to shoot something like this would be to stop at the thick clouds, you'll still likely get a few blown out areas but you'd be able to bring out a lot of the rest of the scene.

The other one if you have a tripod would be an HDR image, though that would be tricky since the waves would be different with each exposure.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #715
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,155
Hes a Timneh Africa Grey parrot. I use him as a watermark since another forum I post to was rather notorious for people lifting your images and using them as their own.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #716
phunmusicphan
Dude

Oddometer: 396

What ya think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #717
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 536
Been getting used to the D7000. I'm starting to like the results...

Wish I wouldn't have cut off the one petal on the flower (it's a bitch taking macro shots in a breeze). The barbed wire is with the Nikon 16-85. I'm digging that lens.

I just think my daughter is awesome no matter what she's doing .

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #718
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,122

Taken right at 8pm on the 25th last month. Gotta love this time of year

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #719
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post

Taken right at 8pm on the 25th last month. Gotta love this time of year
That is one awesome view.

The horizon is a little bit off, if your DSLR has guide lines or a digital level both are good tools.

The other thing I'm trying to work out is how to really capture this closer to what you're actually seeing. Looking closely the rolling hills are visible but just barely. Maybe try a few while the sun is a bit higher to see if it shines a bit more on them, or even lower so it's just going under the horizon and do a long exposure to get it all with that red sky in the background. The good thing if you time it right is you can take tons of pictures and around this stage the sun is going down in a hurry so it's not a big deal to keep taking shots. Just be careful of your eyes spending that much time looking through the viewfinder. And I wouldn't use live view, I'm not sure how true this is/if it applies anymore but I heard it's not a good thing to have constant intense light hitting it.

One quick technical bit, the sensor is pretty dirty, some of them are kinda faint but there are little blotches all over the photo.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #720
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentde3 View Post
Been getting used to the D7000. I'm starting to like the results...

Wish I wouldn't have cut off the one petal on the flower (it's a bitch taking macro shots in a breeze). The barbed wire is with the Nikon 16-85. I'm digging that lens.

I just think my daughter is awesome no matter what she's doing .
Don't be afraid to just grab the stem, as long as you're out of the frame...or worst case can believably be cut out you're all good.

Since you've got some nice gear there have you ever thought about making studio set up? It's not a crazy amount of money (200-300 will get you started) and you can just play around with compositions and lighting while having complete control.

I'd up the contrast a bit using curves for the shot of your daughter.

And the barbed wire pic is a nice composition, now my mind is going off into crazy artist land....right now you have it nice and in the middle of the composition which works, it just doesn't hit that X factor. Since you're really diving into macro work I'll just say this, look at these objects from every angle possible you'll probably surprise yourself with what you find.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: