User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
GoO2 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
What to get? Kymco vs Burgman

I currently have a plethera of bikes, and I do the work on them myself. For my wife we currently have a 01 Aprilia Scarabe 150. Great runner, but I would like to move her up to something a little bigger (solid) and little more hp. The beo has large tires will cruise at 55 but pretty light on its frame. We will trailer to different areas out west midwest and have ridden at higher elevations. The beo (carb) actually cut the musturd for her (but not me). I have been looking at the Burg 400 (06) and a Kymco Exciting 250 (08). I know te Burg is fuel injected and bigger gas tank and I can't argue with "there's no replacement for displacement".

The tires on the Kymco (like the Beo) are bigger than the Burgs, its only a 250cc but much heavier than the Beo, larger gas tank. I think the 08 Kymco is a carb. I can't find much written about the thing. Both bikes are a distance from me and the owners are not very knowledgable about there bikes.

They both have under 2000M and are priced as 2900 for the Kymco and 3400 for the Burg.

Pros/Cons about either? I know my Beo is a pain in the ass to get parts for but is a great scoot, will probaably keep it either way.

Thanks for any input
GoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Dave in OKC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
If you are looking at an '06 Burgman 400 and an '08 Xciting 250, the 400 has fuel injection and the Xciting has a carburetor. Burgman went with fuel injection for the first USA model in '03 and the Xciting got F.I. in 2009. If the Xciting model is not a 250Ri, (2009 & 2010 added Ri to the model name) then you have a carb model. Both are really good bikes though, even without fuel injection on the Kymco. My Vespa is carbureted and I have no complaints. Note the fuel injected models get better gas mileage if that is a consideration. Good luck.

NOTE: Edited to fix my mistake about fuel injection on the Burgman. Earlier I said it was a carb - wrong!

Dave in OKC screwed with this post 02-27-2010 at 07:31 AM
Dave in OKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
maunakea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Now, or June 2010

If you can wait until June, the Kymco Downtown 300i "should" be at dealers. Dealers will order them starting in April. Great reviews... but only 14"/13" wheels. If you can't wait, and you want much better stability at 70 mph, IMO the SYM Citycom 300i (released in 2009), with its 16" wheels and above average ergos (for tall folks... 31.5" seat height) cannot be beat in the midi-scoots. Both have EFI.
maunakea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
viclavigne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I have the 09 Kymco XCiting. Its the FI model and the 08 should have a carb. I really enjoy it, but you should be aware of its shortcomings.

- Top speed is not that great for a 250. I'm typically redlining the RPMs at 70 mph. For highway cruising, I try to maintain between 60 and 65 to keep the RPMs in the safe zone. The power feels like its there, but I don't want to abuse it.

- Stock windshield (09 model). It is sized and positioned just right to create lots of helmet buffeting. I tried a laminar-lip for about a month and it helped, but not enough. Eventually I replaced the stock shield for a Givi, which I'm very happy with. The 08 windshield may be a little bigger than the 09 model, but if you check around you'll hear many of the same complaints about helmet buffetting.

- The overall power/performance will not feel great. But you have to remember that the 250 model is really the same size chassis and frame as the 500 model. So the weight for this engine size is probably a little higher than you'd expect.

Pluses:
- Excellent brakes.
- Decent underseat storage
- Pretty smooth ride

Hope this helps.

Vic
viclavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
voneschenbach
Tame Moto Rider

Oddometer: 16
A good friend owns a Burgman 400 and I took a test ride on an Xciting 250.

+1 on the anemia of the Kymco Xciting 250. It is pretty heavy for a 250, and is pretty sluggish on the freeway. The Burgman 400 is an excellent freeway rider and is also good on the gas mileage.

Since your wife is riding a Scarabeo 150, also take a look at some of the other Piaggio products such as a Vespa GTS 250ie, BV 250, etc. The Burgman is very stable, but it is a bit of a hog and can't creep along in slower traffic like the Piaggio scooters can.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
taranaki
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Oddometer: 1,284
I had an '06 Xciting 250 then went to an '08 Burgman 400.

The Kymco just doesn't have the legs to do anything but short hops at real highway speeds. It's very well put together and has a smooth clutch. Other observations:

- skimpy underseat storage will hold two half shells, while the
Burgman will swallow two full shells.

- awkward ergonomics, for me anyway at 5' 10". Too high and too far
forward. It always felt tippy on twisty roads.

- tall, wide saddle means tip-toe stops for 30" inseam rider.

- brakes worked OK but are spongy. I did like the linked setup though.

- frequent (and costly by the dealer) valve adjustments. The first is at
just 200 miles with something like 3500 mile intervals thereafter. Later
Burgman interval is I think 14,500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoO2
I currently have a plethera of bikes, and I do the work on them myself. For my wife we currently have a 01 Aprilia Scarabe 150. Great runner, but I would like to move her up to something a little bigger (solid) and little more hp. The beo has large tires will cruise at 55 but pretty light on its frame. We will trailer to different areas out west midwest and have ridden at higher elevations. The beo (carb) actually cut the musturd for her (but not me). I have been looking at the Burg 400 (06) and a Kymco Exciting 250 (08). I know te Burg is fuel injected and bigger gas tank and I can't argue with "there's no replacement for displacement".

The tires on the Kymco (like the Beo) are bigger than the Burgs, its only a 250cc but much heavier than the Beo, larger gas tank. I think the 08 Kymco is a carb. I can't find much written about the thing. Both bikes are a distance from me and the owners are not very knowledgable about there bikes.

They both have under 2000M and are priced as 2900 for the Kymco and 3400 for the Burg.

Pros/Cons about either? I know my Beo is a pain in the ass to get parts for but is a great scoot, will probaably keep it either way.

Thanks for any input
Old 03-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
notdave
gets bored easily

Oddometer: 152
before deciding on the two you need to ask yourself if you really really want a maxi scoot. once you get a big scoot with the step up seating it starts to feel more like an automatic motorcycle.

at one point in time i thought i wanted a maxi scoot but found that staying small and nimble was actually more fun. the 125cc-250cc range was better for me.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,901
I love my Burgman 400. The extra power is nice for all the mountain roads I ride. No problem on the interstate. I'm 5'8",150lbs, it fits me good.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
GoO2 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Twisted the throttle

Well, I got the Burg 400 for her (us). We still are keeping our beo 150. It sits very similar for posture and height. I thought the xciting 250 was nice but our beo 150 (with the DOHC Rotax) had the same get up and go and top end. The beo is a great scoot, just a pain to get parts for. The Burg is a step up in power for her and it will be nice with the fuel injection in the mountains.
GoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
voneschenbach
Tame Moto Rider

Oddometer: 16
Congrats! The Burgman 400 is an excellent scooter and will be something you can enjoy for a while to come.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,901
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote