Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #6406
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Second day was US 65 , US 165, Ar 11, Ar 16, AR 25, Ar 5 to Mountain View.

Next time, you might try this alternate route from I40 & I430 to Hwy 5. http://goo.gl/maps/mTuvc

Lucky for me, part of it is my daily commute. I took this pic last week.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #6407
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 896
John, I will let you know next time I head down that way. It seems like everytime we ride together i dump the bike. Mostly just gawking and not paying attention plus I have someone to help me pick up the bike (did i mention my back has been hurting?)
The mississippi bunch may want to come over for this too. Hunting season ends December 2, we'll see how the weather holds up. Happy Thanksgiving everyone !!!
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #6408
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
I see here someone again implying that this is NOT the "riding season". For me nothing could be more wrong. In my 40+ years, Oct thru June is the highlight riding time in our climate. I am speaking of DS and offroad.
Riding Season? Wat Dat? I live in Southwest Louisiana.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #6409
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Riding Season? Wat Dat? I live in Southwest Louisiana.
Amen to dat! Breaux - Our riding season in LA is Jan 1 through Dec 31.

They must be referring to riding in the woods during "Hunting" season??????

If you're really worried about it - put on an orange vest - they will think you are just another ATV going to/from the deer stand -
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #6410
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,309
Yeah, but having lived in Covington for a number of years I know that you do get to ride in lots o rain.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #6411
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,424
LOL on da Rain down here. I wuz fixing to do some more on my quest of running all the roads in my parish just to see what's there , but, looking at radar just now, stuff coming at us about 40 miles to the Northwest. Part I did a few days ago was freshly graded gravel with about 2" dust mixed. Not good riding in the rain none.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #6412
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,430
Fridays Ride

My son Josh and I got out yesterday and rode a lot of the route we rode last Saturday with the group. Slabbed it over to Hwy 23 and hit the dirt at Co-291 where Scotty and I ended up last weekend. It was a bit chilly early on, then seemed to warm up during the day and got colder later in the day. First photos on the Kings River Bridge. Notice the hunter in the background with his hands in the air, "Dont Shoot".

Crossed the Osage Creek just west of Hwy 103.

An overlook of the Buffalo River.

The Buffalo River crossing on Co-57.

Rocky Ford crossing on War Eagle Creek on the way back just west of Withrow Springs. It was a bit deeper than the last time Albie and I crossed it a couple of months ago. No problem tho. I continue to be amazed at how well my son rides and seems to have no fear. I did my feet dragging routine when it got deep but he motored right on thru.

This must be the 'Training Day' site for the beaver colony in this area. What in the world would they do with a tree that size?

We stopped at the JD Trading Co convenience store at Compton and got fuel and some lunch. They make a pretty tasty charbroiled burger and great onion rings. Have tables and booths for seating as well. I wouldn't mind stopping there again. We rode this route in the opposite direction of what we rode last Saturday. Still-bummed about my video camera not working when we encountered the horseback riders on Co-57. I got some video this time around but no horseback riders in site. Too cold for them I guess. Here are a couple of videos of that area.

Put in a couple of hundred miles yesterday so it was a full day. It was great having some time riding with my son. It was a bit windy and cool but it was all good. I am in the process of getting Josh's bike winterized with some heated grips and electrical connections for heated accessories. I have visions of a heated jacket under the tree for Josh this Christmas. I trust everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving. Belated Holiday Greetins from yours truly
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.

OLEARY screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 08:23 AM
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #6413
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,890
Nice report, glad you both had a good day.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #6414
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Thanks Gus! I felt a bit bad for Josh not having any heated gear but I am working on that. I have heated grips ordered but they have yet to arrive. I was as snug as a bug in a rug! I love this time of year for riding. If I can just manage to stay on the bike this year all will be good.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #6415
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,905
Yes, nice report Tim! This time of year is great with the right gear. I just wired my scoot for heated jacket and gloves, so off we went.

Well, this is a street report, so I'll keep it short with just 3 photos a link to the album of 24. One of our Scooting the Ozarks buddies from KC comes down every year for a ride in the Ozarks on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
This year we decided to run Hwy 43 through Compton, then hit Peels Ferry and then come back across southern Mo on Hwys 160/76/86. Missouri just repaved these, so the riding was awesome and traffic almost zero.
Danna's BBQ and Burgers about 1 mile SE of Mildred, MO was outstanding for lunch (catfish and chicken sandwich).
We rode 311 miles together, I had a bit more. Great day.
Link to the slideshow HERE

Arkansas 103

Boarding the Ferry

Hwy 160
SmugMug Rocks!

Valentino Magoo screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 08:21 PM
Valentino Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #6416
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,890
Good stuff Magoo. Zoom Zoom......
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #6417
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo View Post
Very Kewl! We had lunch at the convenience store there on Hwy43 just outside of Compton. It was about noon when we stopped. I'm pretty sure you had been thru there already. I hear what you are saying about no traffic. We hardly saw anyone out and about.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #6418
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Fs 1409

Oleary sent me a route that he and others were planning on riding Saturday so I headed out Saturday morning from Dover with the intent of meeting them in Oark. FS 1409 was part of the planned route. I had ridden it west to east previously and decided to do it east to west on the way to Oark to see if it was still passable, as it was a bit of a challenge before.
My first water crossing was the Little Piney shortly after turning off of FS 5570 on to FS 4670. You might be able to make out the Union Schoolhouse through the trees.

And here it is up close.

The first of numerous mudholes. Most of them had rocky bottoms so they were fairly easy to traverse.

This one was multiple choice. I took the one on the left as the ruts leading in to the one on the right indicated it might be more challenging.

I think this is the second of many Murray Creek crossings. Some had rocky bottoms like this one.

Some had a smooth, flat rock bottom.

And then this slick, flat rock one with the dead tree to maneuver around on the right and a three foot waterfall on the left. I had to dab a foot in a couple of times but made it across them all without dumping the bike.

I like finding these rock walls. This was a really long one with amazingly straight sides.

The trail was pretty nice when it was far enough away or high enough above Murray Creek to avoid the occasional flooding.

But it was not long before it was time to cross it again.

Stopped here for a break and a photo op for the DR on the ledge.

Then it was back on the trail that was beginning to get overgrown.

And then this obstacle. There had been other trees across the trail but they had either been cut up or bypassed. There was no easy way around it so out came my trusty folding saw that was still fairly sharp after having been used as a shovel on one of my previous outings.
Before.

After.

Beyond here, the trail had seen little or no recent traffic. A warning?

The last creek crossing and the last cut tree before making the climb out of the valley.

The trail up the mountain was kind of steep but the worst part was all of the rocks and ruts covered by the leaves. The front end was bouncing all over the place but I managed to make it up without mishap.

Near the top, the trail was blocked by several downed trees that required a trip through the woods. I came out in a recently logged area. When I got to the other side where the trail (now a road) resumed it was flanked by two private property signs and an occupied deer blind. So this is where I met Travis, the owner of 80 acres that FS1409 passed through. I apologized for interrupting his hunting, which he took pretty well. He was just amazed that I was able to ride up the trail. He told me 1409 was gated by the Forest Service and that he had an easement to his property. I told him there was no gate when I came through in May and he said it had been installed in October. Turned out to be a nice guy and we ended up chatting for over an hour. He is in the oil business and is currently working off shore as off the coast of Brazil.
Leaving Travis, I finished the climb up the mountain and came to the gate, which required a bit of bushwhacking to get around.

I think this all means that 1409 is now closed unless you do like I did and come in from the east since there is no indication that the road is closed from that end. Travis did ask that if we did ride through that we not do it during the months of October and November because he or his family may be hunting then.
I was getting cell phone coverage at this point as my phone began buzzing me. I found that Oleary had texted me at 10:30 (I had left around 10:00 and it was now 1:30), saying nobody was riding today due to the cold so I headed back to Dover.
bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #6419
TroyWolf
Safety 3rd

Oddometer: 444
Thumb

Great "road", Nate! Huge bummer to lose this one. I'm glad Travis was so cool.
Arkansas OHV Conservation Assoc.RideForum.NETAMA #1009541 ■ BlueRibbon #42185 ■ 11 BMW F800GS ■ 09 Honda CRF 50 ■ 07 KTM 450 EXC ■ 99 KTM 300 EXC[/SIZE]
TroyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #6420
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 896
Bohawk, is that the road that goes straight next to the waterfall ? I tried to get up that on the beemer one time and had to turn around. I have been taking the road that tee's in at the waterfall to get out. Really a good ride. Been there when the creeks were just barely passable, made it a lot more interesting evey creek crossing and mud hole.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote