Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #6587
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg12 View Post
I been looking at camera's - need some feed back on the Roam vs gopro?
GoPro - better image quality (when you can get an image )
Roam-easy to use.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #6588
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 827
Wow, looks like an great area to ride. definitely n my to do list. Thanks for sharing the pictures Charlie
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #6589
jchawkjr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
+1 for the Roam for simplicity. One switch, turn it on, turn it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmuyH6kUqHg
jchawkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #6590
mdawg12
Old and Slow

Oddometer: 1,495
What about taking stills? I think I would use it more for pics than video. Like the wireless on the gopro3 and using it with an Iphone app.
mdawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #6591
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,248
Quote:
O'leary, 10Cup, Albie and Magoo have the Contour's I believe. I just purchased a GoPro Hero 3.

I can tell you the learning curve on the Hero was steeper than I expected but I think I have it figured out now.

Comparison between GoPro Hero 2 and the Contour.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #6592
mdawg12
Old and Slow

Met up with JT this morning at Lake Weddington. We then headed down to Prairie Grove to meet up with Spanky and his wife Lisa. Spanky led us through the back roads north back toward Hwy 412. We ended up pretty close to Siloam. We split up and Spanky and Lisa headed back to PG and JT took off to do some more dirt riding. Me - cold, so headed the short distance to Siloam.

Little chilly for my taste but I clocked in about 80 miles. Nice little trip, and got to check out the mounting of the Kolpin fuel cell set up I made. It worked like a champ, didn't even notice it and no leaks!

JT likes to get down the road.... Think he needs to hook up with Ted and do some single tracking,

Waiting for JT to show up:

New Kolpin on rear:

Spanky and Lisa by their trusty steeds - Lisa can push that little XT!!

JT the "cool youngster" of the group:

Nice group shot:

Scenic pose:

Couple of shots of the Illinois River:

Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #6593
mdawg12
Old and Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
O'leary, 10Cup, Albie and Magoo have the Contour's I believe. I just purchased a GoPro Hero 3.

I can tell you the learning curve on the Hero was steeper than I expected but I think I have it figured out now.

Comparison between GoPro Hero 2 and the Contour.
What color did you all get?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #6594
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,248
Mine is the Hero 3 black. Comes with the remote and you can download the iPhone or Android app to control it too.

Be aware that the mobile app only works with WiFi but is still helpful in adjusting the angle of the camera and selecting features prior to using it in the field. It also give you a preview while you are adjusting the camera on your helmet.

Other than that I haven't used it much except to take a half dozen pictures while riding.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 03:08 PM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #6595
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
First ride of 2013!

Today turned out to be about as warm as one can expect for January so this afternoon I took off for a short ride up hwy 7 and then turned west on Rushing Road. After crossing Big Piney I turned left onto Ross Mountain Road. Eventually this got me to Silex Road and on to Hwy 164 at the Twin Bridges. On Hwy 164 I jumped over to Pilot Rock Mountain Road then turned west on Jake's Creek road. Eventually I wound up at Haw Creek which was gated. By now it was getting to be about 4pm and I knew I would be cutting it close on daylight getting home so I stopped just long enough to fire up the electric vest and gloves. Somewhere on Hwy 123 or 164 I lost my dash indications and running lights. I still had signals and a headlamp and the bike was still running like a champ but I had this uneasy feeling that if I stalled the bike, I'd be stranded! Sure enough when I pulled into my carport and shut her off, she wouldn't hit a lick!
Ultimately I found that a 10 amp fuse popped which I'm guessing is for the start circut. Why the bike continued to run I don't know, but I'm sure glad it did! I have used the electrics before without issue. I did have an additional load of my Garmin Nuvi 500 plugged into a cigarette port on today's ride but this was off a seperate fused circuit that I did not lose. Go figure????? This is the first hiccup I've had with the WR and I hope it isn't a precurser of issues to come! You can bet I'll be keeping a few 10 amp fuses with me from now on.
Big Piney at Rushing Road

Years ago some friends were caught on the other side of this bridge during a flood. Other friends tried to cross this bridge in a duece and a half and got washed down the creek. They eventually were rescued in the dark after clinging to tree tops. Big Piney can get wicked in flood conditions.

This building is on Ross Mountain Road and I don't know what it was for but it had to figure prominantly in this community. The walls of this building were built solidly.

I figure this had to be a school, church or a community center of some sort but with a big open space like that, it had to have some sort of a community wide use.

I love these kinds of views.

Silex gas well back behind this barn.

This is reason number 1 not to haul butt around these mountain roads WFO!

Someone had actually tried to move it but didn't have a stout enough strap.

I ran across this old homeplace. The gate was open so I rode up and took a few pics. I didn't see anyone but there was a newer looking home about a 1/4 mile behind this place and was accessible only by the gated road I came in on. I didn't hang around too long.

When I saw this, I figured I must be tresspassing although there were no signs saying so and some folks don't actually mind people looking at these old houses as long as they are nice and don't vandalize. On the other hand, other folk just shoot first and then look for i.d. on the body!

This shot is taken from FS1827 which is designated as a ATV legal road but it wasn't all that bad. That's the Little Piney Creek down there.

From here, I came out on FS1800 (Pilot Rock Mountain Rd.) which took me to Hwy 123. It was all pavement from there home. I love riding on these warmer winter days when the lack of foilage allows you to see the lay of the land. I did shoot some Contour vids but when I watch them on my laptop, they seem jumpier that I remember them from past videos. I have the camera set at 30fps which is the fastest available so I wouldn't think they would have that jumpy look to them. Maybe its just my laptop. Has any one else noticed this prior to sending them to Contour for sharing?
Anyway, I hope others got to enjoy a little riding today as well.
Gary
Two Brothers on Two50's ride Colorado
'09 Yamaha WR250r, '08 Harley Davidson Road Glide

arkridergc screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 08:56 PM
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #6596
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,825
Nice report Gary. Love the old buildings....
Old 01-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #6597
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkridergc View Post

Great ride there Gary! Good to see you out and about. I wish I could have joined you. My son and I were going to ride but it was snowing early and never did warm up much. Sun came out about 5:00 PM so that didn't help. Probably try it this afternoon. I really like the winter riding as well when the temp is 40 and above and the sun is shining.

My guess is that your laptop video card is not the best on the jumpy vid. My laptop does the same thing. Looks fine on the desktop computer. I see the Roam+ has 60fps now at 1080 dpi. It is hard to beat the Contour for mounting and ease of use.

I have had fuses blow on my accessories as well but it has never affected my instrument panel. I have an Eastern Beaver electrical accessory setup. Just put one on my sons bike as I am getting it set up with heated grips and such. Those are pretty nice in that you have one battery connection and three fused accessory connections. Take care.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #6598
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Nice report Gary, looks like an interesting ride. Thanks for sharing.

Those that are commenting on the helmet cams. I think Go Pro is the most popular but to me they are butt ugly and look like you have something growing out of your head so I went with Contour.
Also even with the smallish contour you can feel the wind pull on your helmet at highway speeds. I would think the way GoPro sticks up it would be worse.

I went with the Contour + for the Gps tracking and external mic features. How many times has someone asked where did you take that video. Anyway they all work great and I am very happy with mine. I especially like the external jack so that I can get clean sound with no wind noise.

Got out and rode a little gravel on the Beemer yesterday. Glad to have heated gear though. The wind is very cool even though temps were in the mid 40's.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #6599
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkridergc View Post
This building is on Ross Mountain Road and I don't know what it was for but it had to figure prominantly in this community. The walls of this building were built solidly.
As to why that was built:

Built by a previous generation to use as a fortress against the impending Zombie Apocolypse they were concerned about. Didn't happen in their lifetime... but it could in ours. Be prepared.

(Great ride report and pics Gary... thanks!)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #6600
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 827
Great pictures and ride report Gary. I like looking around old buildings and homesteads. Trying to imagine what their life was like is both fun and scary. An old log cabin just north of the interstate on hwy 23 is just about completly fallen down now. An old girl friends grandparents lived there. We used to go over to visit. Life goes on !
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote