Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #6796
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
Thanks Mike! Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, it can be a lot of work, that is for sure. At 6 pm we had been riding for 5 hours and had only traveled a little over 40 miles. I couldn't believe it. That is the nature of that kind of riding tho I guess. Sure saw a lot of sights that a lot of folks will not have the pleasure of seeing.
Oh yeah, that's the payoff. Sure beats going to the Gym for exercise too
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #6797
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
As Tim has already mentioned, our ride from Mack’s Pines to the Blue Hole north of Hector was quite a trip. I believe 44 miles in a bit over 5 hours is the slowest I have ever covered that distance. We did stop a couple of times to take a break and a bunch of times to pick up one or both (once) bikes but it was mostly due to the slow going over the rough terrain.
Tim’s humble abode at Mack’s Pines.

One of the few, relatively smooth trails we were on today shortly after leaving Mack's Pines.

Our first major mud hole tried to divert Tim in to the brush.

That is the North Fork Illinois Bayou way down there, which is where we were headed.

This was the beginning of the first of what would turn out to be many rocky trails today.

Okay, here we go Tim.

We made it to the Bayou and were greeted by a pretty long water crossing. I had been across here once before on the DR and numerous times on a 4-wheeler. The water was deeper this time and was at least axle deep in some places but it was pretty much a rock slab all the way across.

Short runs on North Fork Rd and Adam’s Mtn Rd gave us a little time to relax.

Then we headed down the trail that had been so entertaining for me to ride up the other day.

Tim is giving me the thumbs-up here just prior to going down a steep, rutted section. I believe his reaction upon reaching the bottom was "Yee Haa!"

We crossed Mill Creek numerous times before climbing out of the valley up to Old Hwy 27.

As Tim said, we bypassed part of the planned track and headed over to White Oak Mtn Rd. The “real” fun began when we turned north off of it. It is a numbered trail that I forgot to get a picture of but it is right next to Peterman Tower Rd. The trail was pretty decent until we began the long descent down to Hurricane Creek and the Blue Hole.

Here is the DR trying to urge the WR on down the Trail of Spills.

Tim was wisely taking it very slowly at this point.

But it did not help. Tim is giving his WR a pep talk while my DR takes a break after my failed attempt to get it on its side stand.

So Tim persuaded the WR to get up and continue on but a short distance later it was trying to lay down on him again. Note: One of the advantages of not leading is you get to take pictures of most of the falls the rider in front of you has.

We finally made it to the bottom and were rewarded with this nice waterfall and then the Blue Hole except it was turquoise today.

The WR and DR waiting patiently not knowing that they were gonna have the crap beat out of them as we climbed back out of the valley to Lindsey Motorway.

This trail was a continuation of the one we followed down to Hurricane Creek, just not as steep. We rode around or bounced over a bunch of trees today. This was the first we could go under.

At one point the rut down the center of the trail was nearly as wide as the trail.

The WR expressed its displeasure by flopping over and throwing a tantrum.

Just beyond here the rut disappeared but the rocks reappeared. The rocks were big and the trail steep enough that it made it difficult to go slow so I just gassed it and bounced my way up the mountain to Lindsey Motorway. What a relief it was to get there.

We followed Lindsey Motorway east to White Oak Mtn. Rd and then west to Hwy 27. Stopped one last time for a photo op from White Oak Mountain looking southwest toward Hector.

On the way down to Hurricane Creek I noticed my left fork seal was leaking. When I got home I found oil on my right boot.

A quick look revealed the right seal was leaking, too. I guess all of these rough trails I have been riding lately have taken their toll on the seals. Well, now I have something to do this week.
bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #6798
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohawk View Post
We made it to the Bayou and were greeted by a pretty long water crossing. I had been across here once before on the DR and numerous times on a 4-wheeler. The water was deeper this time and was at least axle deep in some places but it was pretty much a rock slab all the way across.

Todd and I crossed that a couple years ago and the flat rock part was covered in green slime. Can't believe we both made it without falling on that stuff.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #6799
Redburn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Great reports Tim and Bohawk. Looks like a fun route.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #6800
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,535
joyed the RR's
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #6801
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,430
Great RR Bo! I knew you would fill in the blanks nicely. I had lots of thrills and more than a few spills but it was still a total blast. I looked at the track in and out of the Blue Hole last night on TOPO map and it is 3.2 miles in and it is about the same distance coming out. The elevation difference going in the way we did from White Oak Mountain Rd is almost a 1000' and coming out it is about half that. The last 4/10's of a mile going in has an elevation drop of 300'. That was one steep rocky mother.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #6802
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 490
Tim, never mind the first part of the PM I sent... didn't see the ride report! It sounds like you went the opposite way we usually come in, meaning you went down those nasty hills, eh? Sorry I didn't get a chance to warn you in advance!

Now if you can find the trail through the logging area that takes you from White Oak Mountain Rd down to Jerusalem Rd. near the end of ATV trail #40 (bricks and bridge area), that has ROCKS! It is all down hill though but sometimes gravity isn't a good thing.

Greg
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #6803
ghollaba
Backroads

Oddometer: 58
Info Overload HELP! Suggested Tracks?

Heading to NW Ark somewhere between Oark and Eureka in a few weeks and getting overloaded in GPS track info..

We want to set camp up in RV and ride out of that area in different directions over 2-3 days.
Looking for old pavement, dirt roads, interesting places and sights but nothing extreme or even moderate.
Riding 250 and 125....
I used to ride around Eureka alot but always the major twistiest, not for this trip.....

Would really appreciate suggestions of place to park RV and good easy relaxing GPS tracks....
ghollaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #6804
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 897
Great report, pictures and videos Bo and Tim. Some fantastic riding over there.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #6805
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
I'm going to have to buy a lighter bike to ride with y'all!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #6806
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghollaba View Post
Heading to NW Ark somewhere between Oark and Eureka in a few weeks and getting overloaded in GPS track info..

We want to set camp up in RV and ride out of that area in different directions over 2-3 days.
Looking for old pavement, dirt roads, interesting places and sights but nothing extreme or even moderate.
Riding 250 and 125....
I used to ride around Eureka alot but always the major twistiest, not for this trip.....

Would really appreciate suggestions of place to park RV and good easy relaxing GPS tracks....
Withrow Springs State Park is a nice one withe RV hookups . It's between Eureka and Huntsville off 23. http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/wi.../#.UST8YaVwqh8

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #6807
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghollaba View Post

Riding 250 and 125....

Albie's suggestion of Withrow Springs is a good one.

Another place that will get you even closer to some easy gravel roads is Shores Lake Rec Area. It has good amenities and it is paved all the way in (if you come up Hwy 215 from I-40). It is a much quieter spot for camping, but if you prefer pavement riding over gravel, I'd use Withrow Springs.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/osfnf...43485&actid=78
SmugMug Rocks!
Valentino Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #6808
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Withrow is great. Easy to get everywhere....
Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #6809
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,430
Byrds Campground is just down Hwy 215 west of Oark. At that location you are right in the middle of all the good dirt roads and trails and twisties that you could ask for. They even have some trails there you can ride. Here is a link to it.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #6810
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 665
Withrow Springs - been there done that and recommend it. Great spot One of the few state camp grounds that has sewer hookups - for you folks that have campers/toyhaulers.

Only down side for me was I have verizon cell and no service or internet @ Withrow - but then that is really not a bad thing either -
Actually I could get verizon service if I rode back toward the ranger station just not at the camp site.

They were probably shocked to see a bunch of coonasses pulling the motor out of a bike in the camp ground. Actually make that coonasses & rednecks - license plates from TX CO & LA on the trucks we had.

This was the trip where my CX jumped timing and we had to pull the motor to get at it to investigate the problem. In the end we gave up on trying to get the cx going and made the most of the rest of the week.

A few Pics of the camp.

Nice camp ground, and nice folks there. (clean hot showers too - ) I will stay there again.

EnduroRdr screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 07:36 PM
EnduroRdr is online now   Reply With Quote