Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #7951
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
I remember it well. That area with the snow banked up was pretty cool. I think that was Hurricane Pass or thereabouts. I missed not getting out there last year. I would like to go this year and base out of Crested Butte and ride that area for about a week. Probably can't make it until August tho. Are you up for something like that?
Holiday Acres Resort just West of Gunnison has good summertime rates. So does the Water Wheel Inn just a lil further west.
And ya gotta ride up to Tin Cup to eat at Frenchy's.

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #7952
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg12 View Post
I am! I'm in CB now skiing. Love this town. I been wanting to bring a dirt bike up here for a long time. I've got some good contacts up here if we need to get a place. They get me some pretty good deals. May just bring the family and let them play during the day. August is the perfect time.
Sounds good! The next time we get together lets make a plan and pray it all comes together. You are the man with the contacts, I like that! I bet you are having a blast in the snow. From your pics it looked like it was really coming down. My daughter and SIL just took off yesterday with another couple for a few days in Vail. The wife and I get to babysit the grandkids and the granddog.

Some people do not see the thrill of snow skiing but to me it is an awesome experience. Just the grandeur of the mountains, the snow, the whole scene, it is like nothing else I have ever experienced. A bad knee and a hip replacement keep me from doing it today. Hope you can make it to the preride at Caddo Gap next weekend. Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkrider View Post
Holiday Acres Resort just West of Gunnison has good summertime rates. So does the Water Wheel Inn just a lil further west.
And ya gotta ride up to Tin Cup to eat at Frenchy's.
Thanks for the info OJay! Having never really been in that area it is good to have recommendations of places to stay and eat!
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #7953
JaiDee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Sounds good! The next time we get together lets make a plan and pray it all comes together. You are the man with the contacts, I like that! I bet you are having a blast in the snow. From your pics it looked like it was really coming down. My daughter and SIL just took off yesterday with another couple for a few days in Vail. The wife and I get to babysit the grandkids and the granddog.

Some people do not see the thrill of snow skiing but to me it is an awesome experience. Just the grandeur of the mountains, the snow, the whole scene, it is like nothing else I have ever experienced. A bad knee and a hip replacement keep me from doing it today. Hope you can make it to the preride at Caddo Gap next weekend. Take care.

Thanks for the info OJay! Having never really been in that area it is good to have recommendations of places to stay and eat!
I'm envious Tim. I love skiing, especially in the Rockies at this time of the year with all the great powder days. Unfortunately, it's been years since I've had the opportunity to hit the slopes. The newer equipment made a huge difference in the way my knees felt after skiing...much easier on the joints with the asymetrical skiis and shorter lengths. Of course I don't (can't) bust moguls head on any more so maybe that's what actually makes the difference.

Enjoy the skiing and post pics!

-JD
- Robert Frost
"Charter Member of the T.O. Club" '08 WR250R, '05 F650GS Dakar
JaiDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #7954
ozarkrider

Quote:

I've also got Butler maps for CO and UT to loan out if need be. (provided I don't go as well. )

Old 02-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #7955
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiDee View Post
I'm envious Tim. I love skiing, especially in the Rockies at this time of the year with all the great powder days. Unfortunately, it's been years since I've had the opportunity to hit the slopes. The newer equipment made a huge difference in the way my knees felt after skiing...much easier on the joints with the asymetrical skiis and shorter lengths. Of course I don't (can't) bust moguls head on any more so maybe that's what actually makes the difference.

Enjoy the skiing and post pics!

-JD
I haven't skied in ages. It was sure a blast tho back in the day. My reply to mdawg was about riding out of Crested Butte later on in the year. He was there skiing this last week. I am more afraid of messing up my hip skiiing than anything. As much fun as it was I am pretty sure it would not be worth messing up a hip replacement. You know how easy it is to get a ski crossed up an your leg jerked off at a right angle to your body.

I am lookin to see you at one of our camp and rides this year. It would be a blast riding with you again. I am planning to hook up with you guys one of these weekends. I will see you at SLAP for sure. Sunday rides are out for me. Saturday is about the only day I can ride except I ususally take off on Friday when we are doing the monthly camping ride and make it a two day riding extravaganza. Take care.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #7956
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
I've also got Butler maps for CO and UT to loan out if need be. (provided I don't go as well. )
I was just talking to Bo about Crested Butte and he mentioned some detailed maps that you could buy that are laminated that show all the trails. I wonder if those are the Butler maps? You are more than welcome to join us if it works out for you. Just in the planning stage at the moment but thinking about some time in August or thereabouts.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 02-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #7957
ozarkrider

Quote:
I was just talking to Bo about Crested Butte and he mentioned some detailed maps that you could buy that are laminated that show all the trails. I wonder if those are the Butler maps? You are more than welcome to join us if it works out for you. Just in the planning stage at the moment but thinking about some time in August or thereabouts.
Butler maps are laminated. Good stuff. Backcountry Discovery Routes also has gps tracks for some areas in CO. Go the the BS thread and click the linky in to post where I called out to JT. That will take you to their website.

I should be able to get out in early to mid August. Anything past that gets into the start of school. Maint guys have to stick close to campus then.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #7958
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Butler maps are laminated. Good stuff. Backcountry Discovery Routes also has gps tracks for some areas in CO. Go the the BS thread and click the linky in to post where I called out to JT. That will take you to their website.

I should be able to get out in early to mid August. Anything past that gets into the start of school. Maint guys have to stick close to campus then.
Thanks for the info OJay! I'll check it out.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #7959
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,772
Doc, KiwiTim, Arkwhizzy and I went for a ride in the mud today. We had a mixed bag of road conditions. Tarmac, mud, slippery mud, slippery slimy mud, impossibly slippery slimy mud, you can't ride in it with out busting your ass mud, wet gravel, dry gravel and loose gravel. All in all it was a great day to ride except for Tim's mishap.

Doc and the gang

Oh, by the way. Tim is no longer a dirt virgin. View in HD.

Beautiful day when you weren't in the mud!

Making a change in the ride plan. Highway 23 to Highway 74

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 06:02 PM
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #7960
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:

There lots of info on this site, and you can download the coordinates/routes on a lot of the passes and trails. http://www.traildamage.com/

We use this book for picking what passes etc we want to ride in CO. It's full of good info.
http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Backr...orado+4x4+book

We plan to be out there late Aug or early Sep.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #7961
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,405
Nice! I like the music, banjo just gets started and bwrrrrrpp.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #7962
Clew540
Ready to Ride

Oddometer: 88
Charlie Good video however I like to watch videos without music or with decent music lol. Glade everyone had fun, one day I will get my bike back to dual sport and be able to go with.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #7963
k1w1t1m
Kiwi

Oddometer: 901
Awesome video Charlie. It's a pity it doesn't show just how slick some of those roads were.
Thanks for staying up so late to post the video. I was worn out and found muscles I didn't know I had yesterday.

'01 BMW R1150GS
k1w1t1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #7964
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clew540 View Post
Charlie Good video however I like to watch videos without music or with decent music lol. Glade everyone had fun, one day I will get my bike back to dual sport and be able to go with.
Hey Coy, didn't like the music eh??? Well then This time for DOC I keep the music low enough to hear the bike. With my bike there isn't much to hear. It's quiet.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #7965
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
This time for DOC I keep the music low enough to hear the bike. With my bike there isn't much to hear. It's quiet.
^^This will work..Thanks buddy

btw, I did get excited when I heard the banjo, but it was short lived..
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote