User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2004, 07:01 PM   #1
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Tire question - TKC80's on a 640 Adv??

Has anyone tried these tires on the 640 Adventure?? I run them on my GS and love them but currently have Pirelli MT-21's on my 640 which is great in the dirt and very marginal on the road.

Any feedback on the TKC's on a 640 would be appreciated. Thanks.

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
I have them on my '01 - just put them on so not much input for you aside from a road trip from Sac to Santa Rosa (by way of Berryessa and Oakville grade) and then on to your hood, San Rafael... Confidence inspiring in the twisties... I have not been in any dirt yet to speak of so no input there. After looking more at the front, I suspect the "roll off" if yo get far enough over would be abrupt and noticeable however with my abilities I will likely not see that... Let me know what else I can tell ya!

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmforget
Has anyone tried these tires on the 640 Adventure?? I run them on my GS and love them but currently have Pirelli MT-21's on my 640 which is great in the dirt and very marginal on the road.

Any feedback on the TKC's on a 640 would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:53 PM   #3
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
I ran them on my ADV for a rip from the Texas border to C.C. I was pretty happy with the performance, they are IMHO about the best 50/50 tire, this can be considered good or bad depending on where your coming from. Some tires work much better offroad, and some much better off, but the TKC's are acceptable in both. Bit spendy, and I have been warned to be very carefull of the front 21" on wet pavement, guess it can bite you pretty bad without warning. I would give a set a try, it is not like they are going to last all that long anyway, if you do not like them they will be gone before you known it anyway.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:40 AM   #4
Converted Soul
On the search dude

Oddometer: 288
I have them on my 03 Adv. Very good on dry stones, gravel, sand and tarmac. I haven't yet tried them on wet tarmac or in mud.

The rear wears pretty quick, the front doesn't shows any wear after, now 500 kilometers tarmac and 800 off-road.
But the rear has a hard life.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:07 AM   #5
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Oddometer: 180
OMFG that picture is AWESOME.
Didn't you shit your pants with knowing that you could tumble down XXX metres?

Anywayz I got Pirelli MT21 Rallycross since a few days, went offroad with it, and both onroad, and WHOA! Awesome tyres... wear pretty equals on road (rear faster then front but that's life) but awesome both in good/bad conditions!
I wouldn't believe it but it's rue, this tyre makes the adventure finally the bike it is supposed to be (not the shitty Sahara's)
QMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:16 AM   #6
Converted Soul
On the search dude

"Didn't you shit your pants with knowing that you could tumble down XXX metres?"

Damaging the bike is mostly more on my mind in remote area's like that, a chopper can fly me out, but I can't get a busted bike out of there.

In the picture you see an Orange 99/2000 Adv., that's Neo's bike wearing MT-21. They also performed very well. The rear had some more damage after some gruesome gravel roads than the TKC but otherwise very comparable behavior. I think the MT-21 do better in mud because the thread has more spread.

Btw, the XT-600E in the picture has some Chinese rubber, Kenda K270, they perform also very good. They feel very soft, but don't wear at all. Strange (as is, not for the Adv.) sizes though.

Converted Soul screwed with this post 10-11-2004 at 08:21 AM
Converted Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #7
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Oddometer: 209
Wet pavement DS tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
...and I have been warned to be very carefull of the front 21" on wet pavement, guess it can bite you pretty bad without warning.
Sorry if this is a hijack, but is there any consensus on what works good on wet pavement, even if it's a more street biased tire? The rains coming...
kurtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:10 PM   #8
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtw
Sorry if this is a hijack, but is there any consensus on what works good on wet pavement, even if it's a more street biased tire? The rains coming...
On wet pavement the cursed Enduro 3 Saharas work well.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:36 PM   #9
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,795
Been using MT's on the KLX650 (very similar to an LC4). I'm going to try a TKC on the back with the MT-21 up front. The front TKC is too square. Runs out of lean on pavement, and the knobs are too tight off-road. The rear MT-21 steps out too much on pavement, but is damn near perfect off-road. I'm thinking the stickier compound on the TKC will work well without giving up too much in the dirt. Should work real well in rocky conditions; just don't expect much in mud or sand.

R-dubb
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:39 PM   #10
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,897
Are the knobs significantly shallower on the TKC than the MT-21, D 606, etc..? If so, that may explain why they (TKC80) are better onroad (?)
Old 10-28-2004, 10:05 PM   #11
KTMforget OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Thanks for the input. I think I will have to try a pair after I wear these MT21's out.

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:13 PM   #12
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
I ran a new TKC80 on the back on my 640 Adventure on a dirt path to Copper Canyon and back to the border on pavement. Total ~ 325 dirt miles and 700 paved miles. It was 75% gone.

Worked good while it lasted. I also wore out a front MT21 on the same trip.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:37 PM   #13
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
There is no such thing as the perfect dual sport tire. We can't have great mileage, good wet and dry asphalt traction... and good dirt traction too.

I've been trying out some Maxxis 6006s. I put a set on last month, went to Loadepalooza and did 800 miles of fast and very wet asphalt, fast gravelly dirt, rocks, mud and so on.
The asphalt portion consisted of chasing big BMWs and KTM 950s at speed, frequently well over 80mph on soaking wet highway.

Rear is about 10-15% worn, front about 5%. Look like they might survive for maybe another 2K+ miles. Almost as good on wet asphalt as the Saharas before them, way better in the dirt, and the best part... under $100 the pair.

Saharas, about $250-300 per pair... last about 4K to 5K miles. Good street, fair dirt.
Maxxis, under $100 per pair... last about 2.5K to 3K miles. Fair to good street, good dirt.

When these are worn, I'll probably try something else out... looking for the "perfect dual sport tire".
No particular bias for Maxxis, just wanted to point out that they are pretty damn good tires for the money.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:24 AM   #14
Bike_AiStU
Gravel hunter

Oddometer: 26
I have Michelin Desert on my Adventure (-03) and are very satisfied with those tires.

Works very well in the dirt, very well on gravel and works ok on pavement (wet as well as dry)

The Michelin’s lasts longer than MT21's that I only managed to get 1000km out of the rear tire and about 2500km on the front tire (I’m riding approximately 50% gravel, 30% dirt and 20% pavement.)

Currently I have managed to get 1500 km on the rear Michelin Desert and it is roughly half worn.

///Anders
Old 10-29-2004, 12:53 AM   #15
Converted Soul
On the search dude

I heard many stories about TKC-80 being tricky on wet tarmac, but last weekend I tried them some 300 km in the wet and they performed fine.