Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Roboter OP
Vagabond

Oddometer: 824
Question Need help choosing Side Cases for KTM ADV!?

I'm gearing up for my ride through the America's. Getting bike "KTM 640 Adventure-R" ready and trying to decide what kind of Side cases to get. Here are the brands I've looked at thus far.

Hepco&Becker Gobi's. 37 liters New case this year with a trick 3,5 liter water reserve between the layered shell. They are also plastic and can handle a bit more than aluminum cases. Semi-low CG. 900 mounted

Happy Trails Aluminum cases... 30-35 liters they're aluminum and not too much more to say. The gauge is 2.5mm I think, and seem to be robust. They make a kit with mounting hardware, top hooks for mounting i.e tent and sleeping bags etc. 725 mounted

Jesse's are expensive, but I am a firm believer in gettting what you pay for. 1100 bucks unmounted I think the cases would be worth more than my bike!

Any suggestions? What are some cases you all use for your rigs? I need a set that can handle tip overs, fire, theft, and float. AND BIG BANG FOR BUCK!
Roboter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,836
Google up Moto-sport panniers. I bought the Yukon bags +frames for my 03 Adventure thru them. They also make the metal boxes that bolt on the same frames.

I don't see the 640 frames listed anymore on the site but I'm sure they could still supply them....
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
I have the Gobi's on my 950. Came free w/ bike. If I was paying my own money I'd not get them.

- too bulky, double shell isn't useful unless you haul beer/fish. External dimensions better used for more carrying capacity or ditch the double layer to get same internal dimensions for a smaller external.

- hinges are problematic, unless they've redesigned them they tend to fail after time, especially with lots of vibes/offroad.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,678
Givi

I used Givi Monokey pannier and topbox on my Cagiva 750 Elefant for a few years with no problems whatsoever. I'll be transferring them to my 640Adv when the 640 is retired from Safari racing to adventure touring in a couple of years. (The Elefant just isn't reliable enough for outback Aussie conditions). The pannier rack system is not that solid so I will make up something stronger for the 640 as I will be more off-road serious with it. Having said that, the Elefant did some pretty mean offroad stints with the pannier aboard without problem.
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
Roboter OP
Vagabond

Oddometer: 824
Hey all,
I did some research on cases not made for motorcycles. However, they might be better and cheaper than the conventional companies we go to. Like Zega, Jesse, Happy Trails, etc. Those companies are for people who cant really fab on their own. We are adv riders, we can fab something in the Sahara!
So check these links out... might be useful for future reference.

http://www.customcases.com/zarges/k420.htm See Part # 40861

http://www.customcases.com/pelican/w...ght.htm#medium Scroll down to Large cases to #1600.

http://casesbysource.com/pc/3i-2011-7B-C/SKBP/SKB+Waterproof+Recessed+Wheeled+Case+with+Cubed+Fo am.html

These are 40%+ cheaper than the conventional motorcycle cases. Fab some brackets and we are in business for half the price!

My idea was build a rack that is shaped in an L, then the use of two straps to go over the case with rachets to retain in the L brackets. I am going out of town this weekend, but I will order something tomorrow and do some R&D next week. I'll have pictures...
Roboter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 AM   #6
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,560
Id go with the Happy-Trail set up or the Touratech Zegas.. Gobis are to big for what they can carry.

I use Dirt Bagz and a dry bag with my 640adv..

greg
Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboter
Hey all,
I did some research on cases not made for motorcycles. However, they might be better and cheaper than the conventional companies we go to. Like Zega, Jesse, Happy Trails, etc. Those companies are for people who cant really fab on their own. We are adv riders, we can fab something in the Sahara!
So check these links out... might be useful for future reference.

http://www.customcases.com/zarges/k420.htm See Part # 40861

http://www.customcases.com/pelican/w...ght.htm#medium Scroll down to Large cases to #1600.

http://casesbysource.com/pc/3i-2011-7B-C/SKBP/SKB+Waterproof+Recessed+Wheeled+Case+with+Cubed+Fo am.html

These are 40%+ cheaper than the conventional motorcycle cases. Fab some brackets and we are in business for half the price!

My idea was build a rack that is shaped in an L, then the use of two straps to go over the case with rachets to retain in the L brackets. I am going out of town this weekend, but I will order something tomorrow and do some R&D next week. I'll have pictures...

If your DIY racks don't work out the SW Motech racks (available from twistedthrottle.com) are reportedly bomb-proof.

If you are looking at Pelicans, did you notice the 1420 top loaders on that site you linked above? Those are pretty small for panniers, but Pelican makes a 1440 top loader that is probably as big as the 1550; you'll just have to look elsewhere for a supplier. The "system" idea floated here that I will use (if I ever need big panniers - small ones will be soft bags like the DirtBagz and a billet rear rack with pannier protectors) is the SW Motech racks with Pelican 1440 bags held on with conduit clamps (aka adel clamps). The clamps can break away in a spill (before your bags, rack, or bike do) and then you can pull some spares out of the cases and remount

BTW, lots of crap in the index thread on luggage for the LC4...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
DRZmaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I have Jesse’s, Tourtech and Happy Trails on my bikes. Without a doubt, Happy Trails are the most robust. Jesse’s are slick, but they cannot take the abuse of what the Happy trails can take. I bought a set of used Tourtech for my LC4. Found them pretty flimsy, and prone to damage/bending/warping. Even had a lid (never found it) fly off on the freeway.

A good example of the strenth of a Happy Trails system, taken on the Transiberia Hwy

DRZmaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
disconnected
ultra runner

I think if you want to go totally bomber, check out the Happy-Trail rack with Pelican Cases. I had this set up on the Wee-Strom and it was pretty tough..

Old 11-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
Tempo
Stumptown Native

Oddometer: 684
After much thought I am going with the mid-size Happy Trail Owyhee. It's just short of 32L. I hope to place my order here in a month or two.

Pelicans are great and all that but the fact that they are side loading vs. top loading is a PITA, IMO. I have Caribou cases on my F650.
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo

Pelicans are great and all that but the fact that they are side loading vs. top loading is a PITA, IMO. ...
Sounds like you are set on the Happy Trails, but if you really wanted a top loading Pelican then:

as I said above the Pelican 1440 TOP loader is about the same size as the 1550 side loader...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #12
dirtbleed
Still Smokin'

Oddometer: 177
41L and 37L setup.

dirtbleed screwed with this post 12-07-2010 at 04:46 PM
dirtbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #13
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,895
After trying and being around all of the above, I have HP racks on all my bikes and one set of 9" wide Happy Trail boxes.
Way narrower than the stock KTM boxes and hold way more.
Great bang for the buck.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 AM   #14
disconnected
ultra runner

True, Very true.. The side loading ones are a pain in the ass... but bomb proof.... you kind of have to lay all your junk in there and slam it shut..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo
Pelicans are great and all that but the fact that they are side loading vs. top loading is a PITA, IMO. I have Caribou cases on my F650.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
I have the removable (less than 1 minute) quik-lock rack system and pellican 1550s on my LC4e. I like it cause it carries a ton of stuff to your destination and then the racks and bags come off in one unit for quick conversion to the dirtier side. Mines been down a couple times with NO damage other than some scrapes on the pellicans.

Dean
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote