User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Chatter Box questions

I just got a new bluetooth Chatterbox. I'm experimenting with it right now and hope to have it set up before a long tour in June.

One issue I have is wind noise. When I'm talking to someone even at low speed they can't hear me very well. Mine came with no wind sock on the mic and I think this may solve the problem. Also I can't hear as well as I'd like, would ear buds help? How would I hook them up to my mic/speaker set up?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R
I just got a new bluetooth Chatterbox. I'm experimenting with it right now and hope to have it set up before a long tour in June.

One issue I have is wind noise. When I'm talking to someone even at low speed they can't hear me very well. Mine came with no wind sock on the mic and I think this may solve the problem. Also I can't hear as well as I'd like, would ear buds help? How would I hook them up to my mic/speaker set up?
The wind sock should have been in with your kit and yes, it will help out.

As for the hearing, what you need is one of the Student Headsets and you can plug in a set of custom made ear plugs with speakers or over the counter ear-bud type speakers.

Here's a linky to it on their site: http://www.chatterboxusa.com/cbxbi2rshs.html

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspice
The wind sock should have been in with your kit and yes, it will help out.

As for the hearing, what you need is one of the Student Headsets and you can plug in a set of custom made ear plugs with speakers or over the counter ear-bud type speakers.

Here's a linky to it on their site: http://www.chatterboxusa.com/cbxbi2rshs.html
Thanks. Also, the manual says that to use the PPT mode you should have the power switch in the lowest position so the VOX will be disabled. When I do that and get a call I can still talk without pushing the PPT button. Why can't I disable the VOX?

Is the student headset compatible with the GMRSX1?

Thanks for your help on this. I'm definitely in the learning mode.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
BinDerSmokDat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Not sure about your VOX question but I can give you some tips for setting up the mic and speakers.

I have a full face helmet kit, so my mic didn't come with a windsock. Instead I placed the mic behind the foam liner at the chin of my helmet. Even behind the fairly thick foam, everyone can hear me just fine when I call and my phone understands my voice commands. Plus I didn't even have to use velcro or adhesive, just tucked the mic in and it hasn't budged since. Just make sure the pinhole faces you.

For the speakers, positioning is key. I was very disappointed when I first tried it out at speed. I then realized that the speakers were not directly over my ears. I repositioned them and used some 1/4" open cell foam to pad behind them so they were closer to my ears. They now fit like a loose set of headphones. It worked like a charm and I can now have a phone conversation at highway speeds or hear GPS directions while wearing -33db foam earplugs.
BinDerSmokDat is offline   Reply With Quote