Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Guy Jinbaiquerre OP
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
What's the weirdest place you've ever camped for the night?

I'm a sucker for a well-run campground or cheap motel. Weirdest place I ever set up my tent was in the parking lot of a hotel that had no rooms available. But I bet some ADVriders have stories about staying overnight in dodgy scenarios... lets hear em.

Bonus points if you have photos to prove it...
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Nothing overly crazy while on my bike, but I'll pull into random spots (out of the way, and not visible from a busy road) to sleep. Though the one that gets most people is sleeping at a bar. For some reason a lot of my friends think thats bizzare. Hell, if I'm done with traveling for the day, find a bar, meet some people, wander around the town until I am ready for the night, I'll sleep under a tree or in the car if I have it. I really should get pics the next time I do something like that, though.

::EDIT:: I should add that my idea of sleeping is frequently just dozing off for a couple hours at a time, get back on the move, then doze off again when I get tired again. Drives other people crazy, but it works.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
Katui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Random but great.

A little old but my Mum has this story when she was hitchhiking around Europe in the 70's. This one night it was pissing rain and fogy to the point that she couldn't see more then a couple feet in front of her. She wandered a bit in search of some dry ground to pitch her tent. She finally found this hole that had a dry bottom and was covered for some reason so there she pitched it. The next morning she woke up only to realize she had slept in newly dug grave in a cemetery in Scotland. Thats the weirdest iv heard of personally.
Katui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 AM   #4
JimboX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I don't "camp" anymore but, I did for a long time. I used to use 'fireroads' alot. Run the wheel in off the "hard" road as far as possible and throw the tent up. Well one morning up in Maine I was woken by a very curious old man with a large (but obviously well trained) dog. I had set up camp in his "drive way"! After the initial "what the hell ya thinkin' son", my sincere apology was accepted and we talked for awhile. He could'nt believe I had really ridden "that thing" all the way from Jersey.
JimboX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Wet, cold and tired and shivering from the onset of hypothermia I climbed on top of a convenience store somewhere in Alaska. There was a very small shed on the roof that housed the compressor for the coolers. It was warm, dry and very noisy. Gotta love ear plugs.

The air flow created by the belt driven parts was enough that my cloths and boots were completely dry in the morning.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
andres357mag
200cc can do it.

Oddometer: 66
Besides an Mayan Stella. Couse was protected by a roof. In Yucatan.

Besides a 18 wheeller, between the last 4 wheels, couse the wind was blowing (only sleeping bag, no tent) in Ruta 3 Patagonia, Argentina. Just remember to no get up sudenlly (when the truck motor start, for example) couse the axel is over your head and its allways oily and dirty. And the stain in your forehead stays there for days.

between two logs with only a tarp held by stones over, in Tierra del Fuego, the end of the world. If start to rain, remember to wake up a few times. and with your finger push the tarp so all the water pour over the side of it. couse if you don't do it 30 gl of water can colapse the tarp.

Under 10 not trated, so vary smelly, sheepskins in a non calefactioned cabin in the chiling winter of Chilean Patagonia. My feet where insensible for two hours. Extrage feeling. Like you put your boots backwards.

Only have the pic of the tent beside the mayan stella, but that was before digital photos so, I will not put it.

andres357mag
Ma, si el Vigor e nulo: avanti con el culo.
¡Pero siempre avanti!
andres357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
preacher dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
years ago in south carolina,i ran out of gas,out in the country,so i slept in a grave yard beside a historically famous woman named lucenda horn...the wind blew it was cold and i figured if someone came and i raised up, either they would run or i would....
Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,809
half in half out of a community shower in Germany in November - it was snowing.

and

under a 18 wheeler, in France

and

in a churchyard in Gibraltar - woke up to find dog crap all arund me - it was dark when I got there

and

in a disused garage in cornwall - woke up in a pool of oil, it was dark when I got there

and

on huntingdon beach (CA) - woke to find the world surfing competitions were happening (I was under a look out tower). It was.....

all long ago
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Airport parking lot in Tucson; it's only $4 for the night.
bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
doom
bithead

Oddometer: 168
Uncle Tom's Ghost Cabin in Chitina, AK - really just a busted down shack with rotten catawampus floors, no electricity, and full of rotten household items...

Bench next to a quay in Venice, Italy outside of the fricken AYH that had closed 10 minutes before I got there. Woke up to seagulls sleeping on the back of the bench in the morning. Fortunately they were facing the right direction
IBA#370

Remember: Any jackass can go fast in a straight line!
doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
oldturtle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Sespe Wilderness & Condor Santuary

In 1975 me and three others rode dirt bikes from Gorman (now called Hungry Valley Off Road Park) to Sespe hot springs for a swim and to check out the foxy ladies doing same. Old timer in pack recalled an old seldom used route back to Gorman leading south from Sespe River and then east and north. Back then this was all National Forest with no Wilderness or Condor Sanctuary designation and all roads and trails were legal to ride on. Naturally we all got very lost and ran out of daylight. So my weird camp-out consisted of me and two other tired riders sleeping in middle of dirt road laying head to foot around camp fire trying not to freeze to death. And of course we ran out of water very early during the night. Being very thirsty was much worse than being cold. The old timer leading us had only bike with headlight and he just left us and rode down to Fillmore and slabbed to Gorman. Next morning the three of us managed to find road to Fillmore and the wonderful orange groves that took care of our thirst and hunger. Was bad enough for me being left alone with no headlight but the other two stranded riders in group were the old timers sons.
2009 Suz DR650
2011 Kaw 650Versys

oldturtle screwed with this post 03-03-2010 at 07:45 AM
oldturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
The fireline

Spent several years working for the USFS as a hot shot (me standing tall, right side on back row)

So they have this rule about fires, even though there is no longer live flame, until you have a fire line built all the way around the perimeter they will not call it contained and they wouldn't release you until the fire was contained (unless there was some other fire burning out of control some where else). So on the big fires you usually spent 2-3 shifts on what we called death watch. When you were doing night shift during death watch you would go about 20-30 feet inside the burn, scrape a spot down 3-4" down and get a good warming fire going. As the warming fire burned down you took the coals and put them on the spot you had scraped, covered them with the scraped away soil, wrapped yourself up in a space blanket and slept.

You had to go inside the burn. The crew bosses would give you hell if you got caught sleeping outside the fire line because if the fire rekindled you were toast. You couldn't sleep on the fire line because the mucky mucks walked the line to check on the progress of the death watch. So you went inside the fire line were no one bothered you.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:27 AM   #13
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
What a crappy job you had...
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #14
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxkawboy
Spent several years working for the USFS as a hot shot (me standing tall, right side on back row)

So they have this rule about fires, even though there is no longer live flame, until you have a fire line built all the way around the perimeter they will not call it contained and they wouldn't release you until the fire was contained (unless there was some other fire burning out of control some where else). So on the big fires you usually spent 2-3 shifts on what we called death watch. When you were doing night shift during death watch you would go about 20-30 feet inside the burn, scrape a spot down 3-4" down and get a good warming fire going. As the warming fire burned down you took the coals and put them on the spot you had scraped, covered them with the scraped away soil, wrapped yourself up in a space blanket and slept.

You had to go inside the burn. The crew bosses would give you hell if you got caught sleeping outside the fire line because if the fire rekindled you were toast. You couldn't sleep on the fire line because the mucky mucks walked the line to check on the progress of the death watch. So you went inside the fire line were no one bothered you.

I did that for two summers while working for the National Park Service. It was great job, and often filled w/ backbreaking labor. I remember being tired enough to sleep just about anywhere.
Bucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #15
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
What a crappy job you had...
Lets see, I was getting paid as a GS4, getting about 40-60 hours of OT each week, getting an extra quarter time for hazard pay, and collecting per diem for being on the road. Had thrills that couldn't be beat - how many of you can claim to have been burned over, and driven through a tunnel of flame in fire truck? And the work kept me fit. I came out of those 4 years with a CZ250, a new car and $6k still in the bank after paying for college. We must have different ideas of a crappy job.