Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #16
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxkawboy
Lets see, I was getting paid as a GS4, getting about 40-60 hours of OT each week, getting an extra quarter time for hazard pay, and collecting per diem for being on the road. Had thrills that couldn't be beat - how many of you can claim to have been burned over, and driven through a tunnel of flame in fire truck? And the work kept me fit. I came out of those 4 years with a CZ250, a new car and $6k still in the bank after paying for college. We must have different ideas of a crappy job.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #17
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 344
1.) Back yard of a house being built on Mercer Islancd (near Seattle, where Bill Gates lives). Was 2AM on a trip, followed Real Estate signs until I found a house positively not finished. Pitched a tent. Parked the bike a block or two away as well. Morning came, off we went.

2.) Along a bridge in Mexico. Hit profound rains in the mountains and parked my KLR under a bridge, set up camp below a bridge where it wasn't visible from the road. Not sure why, but it is extremely uncommon to camp off road in Mexico. Amazing place to motorcycle in however!

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #18
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,893
I've camped at Wal-Mart and at a visitor center in Montana. There was less night traffic at Wal-Mart.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALGRAVEROBBER
1.) Back yard of a house being built on Mercer Island (near Seattle, where Bill Gates lives
Bill's house is in / near Clyde Hill. It is Paul Allen who lives on Mercer Island. Did you see the crystal? It is so big it has its own little house.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
weggieman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
It was raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock one night after having one or two brews (2 a.m.) I was not about to get on the bike and do the ride home, 60+ miles. Saw a bank down the street with a lobby and ATM machine inside. Outer doors were open so in I went and curled up in a corner with my leather as a pillow. Cops came by and saw the bike out front, me in the lobby and added it up. Left me alone. The copper came in about 6 and said, "It's stopped raining now, maybe you should head home". WTF? He said he rode too and understood my situation. Cool!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #21
Snowbird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
I pitched my tent inside someone's garage I ducked into to avoid an afternoon downpour that didn't end before darkness set in... with permission. That storm joined forces with another that ended up causing historic flooding in the NE US, east of me as I headed west. This was well before cell phones and I ended up unable to contact with my family for weeks. I never asked (I was a kid, after all) but I'm sure they worried about what had happened to me during the floods as well. Maybe they figured "what the hell, he probably survived" as I'd just recovered from a broken ankle from sky diving before leaving on what was for me an epic motorcycle ride.

On the same trip, I got so worn out from riding that I left my bike at a friend's parents' house in Boise and hitchiked to see her in Coeur d' Alene. On my return, I got a ride to a town where I was left off, and not wanting to end my forward progress, hoofed it into the countryside. When darkness fell, traffic fell with it to ZERO. Not wanting to walk back to town, I climbed up a mountain and slept under a railroad trestle. All I had with me was a sleeping bag, so fortunately it didn't rain. All night long I worried about mountain lions.

I was sooo good at making bad decisions when I was younger.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #22
kdo58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
camping

i was young, visiting Reno, ended up lost and was tired, I saw a lot full of brand new sail boats, i parked my bike and crawled in one, and slept the night away, In the morning i was woke up, they were hooking up the sailboat next to me and hauling it off, I always wonder if I had pick that one were I would have ended up.
kdo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #23
killermilchschnitte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
How does Genoa harbor sound? Not parking lot but at the actual dock. Our ferry was scheduled to leave early next morning and it took us hours to find that friggin ferry port in Genoa, so we really didn't feel like leaving again once we maneuvered through the living hell that is Italian rush hour. Talked to security and he let us pitch our tent right next to the dock where the ferry was scheduled to depart from the next morning. Since I always bring my fishing rod, you know, just in case, we had delicious fresh fish that night - go harbor fish! Sure enough we wake up around 7am the next day and there'a already half a dozen of cars lined up behind us, staring at us in terrified disbelief
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

killermilchschnitte screwed with this post 03-03-2010 at 12:30 PM
killermilchschnitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #24
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
In a Red Cross shelter in Wilmington, NC in the aftermath of Hurricane Fran.
The place was filled mostly with homeless folks that thought they were on vacation.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #25
R-A-M-O-N
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
On top of a dune in a remote beach with a small towel on my face for when the sun started shining, boy i was tired that day.
R-A-M-O-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #26
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203
half in half out of a community shower in Germany in November - it was snowing.

and

under a 18 wheeler, in France

and

in a churchyard in Gibraltar - woke up to find dog crap all arund me - it was dark when I got there

and

in a disused garage in cornwall - woke up in a pool of oil, it was dark when I got there

and

on huntingdon beach (CA) - woke to find the world surfing competitions were happening (I was under a look out tower). It was.....

all long ago
Hey...I also slept on the beach at Huntington Beach, CA. Twice actually. Once because I got lucky (wink..wink), and once because I drank too much while trying to get lucky (barf..barf).
Coastie3202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #27
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 843
A Coast Guard ship that I was on was doing a Bering Sea Patrol one summer and for a break we stopped at Kiska Island. This was one of the islands in the Aleutian Chain that was occupied by the Japanese during WWII. They had established a runway, reinforced gun mounts, and a hell of a tunnel system for the troops. There is a lot of very interesting history there.

Anyway, part of the crew was allowed to go ashore and tour the area. While the crew that I was with was on the beach the ship received a search and rescue call. They recalled the crew back, but me and a partner of mine had wondered off from the group, and they could not get the word to us that we needed to head back to the ship. The ship collected all of the crew except me and my friend. They were not about to let someone sink because of us two dumbasses.

We came up over a hill to see our ship steaming back into the Bering Sea. Talk about scared shitless, but we knew that they would be back, sooner or later. We ended up spending one full night and most of the next day sleeping and huddling in the Japanese fox holes and tunnels trying real hard to stay warm. Could not even start a fire as everything was very wet from summer rains. I can tell you that there are ghosts on that island.

Yeah...we really got our asses handed to us when the ship came back to retrieve us when they completed their search and rescue mission. In fact, if I remember correctly, we were restricted to the ship for the remainder of that 60 days patrol and the entirety of the next 60 day patrol.
Coastie3202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #28
Neubz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie3202
A Coast Guard ship that I was on was doing a Bering Sea Patrol one summer and for a break we stopped at Kiska Island. This was one of the islands in the Aleutian Chain that was occupied by the Japanese during WWII. They had established a runway, reinforced gun mounts, and a hell of a tunnel system for the troops. There is a lot of very interesting history there.

Anyway, part of the crew was allowed to go ashore and tour the area. While the crew that I was with was on the beach the ship received a search and rescue call. They recalled the crew back, but me and a partner of mine had wondered off from the group, and they could not get the word to us that we needed to head back to the ship. The ship collected all of the crew except me and my friend. They were not about to let someone sink because of us two dumbasses.

We came up over a hill to see our ship steaming back into the Bering Sea. Talk about scared shitless, but we knew that they would be back, sooner or later. We ended up spending one full night and most of the next day sleeping and huddling in the Japanese fox holes and tunnels trying real hard to stay warm. Could not even start a fire as everything was very wet from summer rains. I can tell you that there are ghosts on that island.

Yeah...we really got our asses handed to us when the ship came back to retrieve us when they completed their search and rescue mission. In fact, if I remember correctly, we were restricted to the ship for the remainder of that 60 days patrol and the entirety of the next 60 day patrol.
That's a great story!

I was on a motorcycle trip to Tierra del Fuego with a buddy on KLR 650's in 2006 when my subframe broke apart at speed in eastern Bolivia. Although I didn't go down, we were stranded and spent the night sleeping together (we are both 6'3", over 200 pounds) on a makeshift couch in a covered "shack" (no walls) of an indigenous family in the rainforest while an incredible thunderstorm raged around us. Thank god for Ambien.

"The subframe bolts have sheared off? No, we don't have any replacements. Perhaps some chicken wire will do the job?"
Neubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:46 AM   #29
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,493
This didn't start off particularly weird ....

About 25 years ago I had some holidays from uni and had arranged to stay with friends while touring on the bike. I had a TS-185 at the time and had a backpack with a couple of changes of clothes, a sleeping bag for me, and a ground sheet for a bike cover.

For some reason I ended up about 4 hours behind schedule and had to hole up for the night before it got dark. (The TS lights had about the light output of two glow-worms making love in a rusty tin can ...).

Found a nice spot about 20m off the road overlooking a beautiful green valley.

Spread out the groundsheet, ride the bike onto one edge, put some rocks in the middle and fold the loose edge up and tuck it under the seat and tank - fold one end in somehow, spread the sleeping bag out and it was a fairly decent shelter.

Slept like a log - and when I woke up it was like I'd been abducted by aliens - about 6" of snow had dumped on everything overnight - and it was white as far as I could see and the scenery looked nothing like it had the evening before.

I spent the next hour riding on totally empty roads - not even tracks from other vehicles - fairly freaky :).

Got to the next town about an hour and a half later, filled up, grabbed some coffee and a hot breakfast - by the time I'd finished and left town again most of the snow had cleared.

It's a beautiful universe now and then ... all that ?, just for me ?

:)

Cheers
Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #30
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,438
I was in Austin, TX a few years ago for the Austin City Limits festival, on my GS. I rode over from Houston at the last minute by myself, without any plans for sleeping, and left the bike in a parking area near the capital and took the shuttle to the festival. When I finally got back to the bike it was around 3am, and I was completely exhausted by the ride over, the heat, the music, and far too many forms of meat on sticks. If you've ever been to Austin during ACL fest, you'll know that a hotel room is impossible to find, and many book a year in advance. I sat on the bike contemplating what to do, and laid my head back on my tail pack. The next thing I remember was the sun was coming up!
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote