Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #196
unending
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Question Carry on... we are waiting...

Dudes,
Keep the R&R coming mann.... its been far too many months!

Your fellow ADV rider, Singapore..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhuzlan View Post
Day 8, Wednesday, 13April2011

We have a few non-riding days that we planned when we arrived Chiangmai. Ivan and his family will do the touristy bits. Moose will do his chillout bit.
I need to be home to attend to some urgent matters. The story follows......

As I walked out on to the main street, I saw this man getting the blessings from a group of Monks.

I stopped a Tuk Tuk and for Bhat100 he agrees to take me to the Airport.

Chiangmai International Airport

Flew Air Asia back home. They use Aerobridge in Chiangmai but complain to everyone if they are asked to do the same in Malaysia.

Met Dinesh who used to work in my Charter Operations as a Cabin Crew. He moved into Air Asia in 2008.

With one of the crew on board

10kms above Surat Thani travelling at 15kms per minute. Just a week ago we were in pissing rain.......

The sight of the Sepang Racetrack tells me that we will be landing on Runway 32Right. Beautiful Malaysia.

I was in KL for three nights, made a trip to Kuala Terengganu for a meeting then it was back to Chiangmai. Good break. In the excitement of planning and anticipating the trip i overlooked the fact that there is a real possibility that I will miss my family when on such a long trip.
This break is good, really good.
KLIA LCCT. Returning to Chiangmai.

I arrived in Chiangmai at 0900 and went for breakfast at my favorite cosy cafe, which was just next to our Guesthouse.
Pretty no......?

Tired of explaining to people what we are about I made these stickers in KL and pasted them on my bike.

In the meantime we hung around with Simon and Lisa, two British Adventurers who left home 8 years ago, and now holds multiple records for overlanding. They have amazing stories to tell, along with great photos and videos.They stayed at Riders' Corner.

Simon's fully kitted GS1100.

Outside Riders' Corner the Thais were going rabid with the Songkran

All sorts of vehicles were roped in.....

Pick-ups

Monster Trucks

Low Rise Pick-up

Eventually the call of battle was too hard to ignore and Moose with Simon and Lisa joined in....

As dusk sets in the moon claws up into the darkening skies....

Apparently, in the heat of battle, someone was reported to have drowned in the moat. Rescue 911 came into the scene

We then sat down with Lisa to discuss our Route into Laos and Cambodia as they were there recently.

Simon, Moose and Ivan played around with the bikes.

Then it was the Bar for a couple of well earned beers after a hard day at the battlefield.

We should be leaving Chiangmai for the Second Chapter of this ride. We have covered about 3000kms so far, and are into our 10th day of the trip. We are all hopefull that the Songkran will be over by tomorrow, the day we plan to ride out.

Our original plan was to ride to Chiangrai, but we decided that Chiangrai is just another big Thai City, so we chose instead to hug the North Western Border of Thailand and ride through Mae Salong to Mae Sai, before stopping at Chiang Khong for the night.

Turns out we did the right thing.

More to come.
unending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:34 AM   #197
richpix
Nomad

Oddometer: 1
Bringing my DR650 to Malaysia?

Hello Malaysian Adventure Bikers,

Greetings from South Africa.

Hope you guys can help me out with some info. I am most likely moving to Malaysia very soon and I have a 2008 Suzuki DR650 which I love and would very much like to bring with me to Malaysia. Do you guys have any info regarding this? I know its possible of course but what options do i have? I could get a Carnet here and bring it in on that for a limited time etc How about registering it in Mayasia? How do the customs work out the import duties? The bike was actually very cheap here second hand...but does that mean anything once it arrives at Port Klang?

Looking forward to hear your responses.

Kind regards,

Richard....
richpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #198
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,046
I'm not an expert but would just say a lot of that depend on what kind of visa you are getting.

Some visas allow you to bring in one vehicle tax free every 5 years and register it.

An 08 DR650 "on the road" would go for 30,000+ RM here; about $10,000 US dollars from where I'm from or a good 5X what it would go for in the USA.
Alot of dual sports here have 2 values and to simplify I would say the liscence plate is about 1/2 the value of the vehicle. IE a 2000 XR250 goes for about 16,000 or 8,000 ringget- 16,000 if it has a liscence to use on the road or 8,000 as an off road only vehicle.

Foreigners without that special vehicle can not ship a bike over here that I know of without massive paperwork, but are free to ride one over. Best deal I've heard yet is a Canadian friend of mine who basically lives here full time but leaves every 3 months because he's been here years on a 3 month tourist visa - he shipped his BMW from Canada to Singapore. Singapore wouldn't let him drive the bike in Singapore without lots of paperwork, so they put it on a truck and carried it to the Singapore/Malaysian bridge. At the bridge he took it down and rode it across expecting to do lots of paperwork. At the motorcycle express lane they stamped his passport and didn't care about the bike. He kept asking and they waved him thru. That was about 6 years ago. He has to leave every 3 months but he leaves the bike here and continues to update his tabs from Canada. Rides it every day and hasn't been hassled.
rickypanecatyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #199
kawanut
jaguh kampung

Oddometer: 5
some contributions from me

http://www.motobiking.com/2010_Files...1210_main.html

others

http://www.motobiking.com/travelogue_2011.htm

http://www.motobiking.com/travelogue_2010.htm

cheers
happy riding
kawanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #200
slimshedykoff
n00b

Gear

Hi guys! I'm new to Malaysia, I've arrived only a month and a half ago. Now I'm looking for a bike and some gear to purchase and have some fun on the local roads.
I used www.fc-moto.de for purchasing gear but here I've encountered some difficulties. They have Malaysia as a distanation for shiping but unfortunately site has some kind of a bug and I cannot order =( May be someone uses this on-line shop and can give me some advice?
slimshedykoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #201
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
hi all,

im wondering if someone can provide some information on shipping myself and a motorbike from malaysian borneo to somewhere on the mainland. im in indonesian now and plan on shipping from here to indonesian borneo, crossing the land border and then shipping to the mainland and then up north towards thailand. any information would be appreciated.

thanks,
Rob

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #202
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,680
Hello everyone

I'm coming in to KL for a few days and looking to take a ride. Arrive 09 April and working 12 & 13, flying straight back out, so hoping to rent a moto and spend 10 & 11 April exploring (on-road only). Does anyone have any tips for:

1. Where to rent

2. Where to go

Many thanks for any advice you have.

Paul
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #203
slimshedykoff
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Hello everyone

I'm coming in to KL for a few days and looking to take a ride. Arrive 09 April and working 12 & 13, flying straight back out, so hoping to rent a moto and spend 10 & 11 April exploring (on-road only). Does anyone have any tips for:

1. Where to rent

2. Where to go

Many thanks for any advice you have.

Paul
Hi there!

Try this guy www.ridemalaysia.com.my he's name is Feizal. He can also provide you with the info about roads and sights.
slimshedykoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #204
Wildman
In my castle

I'd seen the website but good to know it's recommended.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 03-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #205
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

There's a shop in Shah Alam (15 miles West of KL) that rents the GS800 for about 400RM a day... let me know if you're interested and I'll dig up their number.

Another shop in Jalan Ipoh rents out the KLX250 for 250RM a day which I think is insanely priced...

Sometimes you'll find owners renting out their own bikes on www.mudah.com.my Go to the motorcycle section and try typing in "Rent" one time, and then "sewa" if that doesn't bring anything up.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #206
Wildman
In my castle

Thanks Ricky.

I'll go with Ride Malaysia.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #207
Wildman
In my castle

Quick question if anyone's around. KL to Cameron Highlands and back in one day; too much or an easy ride?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #208
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

That's a fairly easy ride. What kind of bike are you taking up? Street only, some dirt or hard core dirt?

Here's 3 rides up to Cameron from KL all paved. The first in my opinion in the prettiest, the 2nd the fastest and the 3rd a common route for those that hate corners/get motion sickness.

1. Fun/pretty route: Starting from the Selayang Petronas gas station (a common meet up point for guys traveling north up the B23/57 aka Jalan Sungai Tua/Batu lake). Head north up B23, catch the toll road near Kerling/Tanjung Malim and then exit the toll road at Tapah and take the windy 59 road up to Cameron.

Google maps puts this trip at 185 KM and 2 hours and 55 minutes. I find 2 1/2 quite easy on a bike including a swim in the lata iskandar waterfall on the way up. This particular route starts on a beautiful jungle, mountain road leaving KL.

Whole route:

Starting point:

2. The fastest route: In this route I have you starting at the rest stop/overhead bridge restaurants at Sungai Buloh on the North West edge of the city. That rest stop is a common meeting point for guys traveling north together on the toll road. Looks just like any freeway. Bypasses Malaysia's beauty but is fast and probably safest at night.

Whole route:

Rest stop starting point:

Finally, certainly the fastest route coming from Ipoh and some people coming from KL use this route as though it is much longer the road is far wider, safer and less curves though still lots of curves.

Here's a big picture of Cameron Highlands - almost the whole plateu area of the titiwangsa range is referred to as "Cameron Highlands". That is probably about 400 square miles. Usually what people refer to as Cameron Highlands though is the area along the C7/59 route starting at the town of Ringlett and ending in the town of Kampung Raja.

As you climp up the c7/59 route from Tapah the first town you come to is Ringlet, then Habu, then Tanah Ratah, then Brinchang then Kampung Raja. Quick overview:
Ringlett - is mostly Malay and Orang Asli people
Tanah Ratah town is the big foreign tourist town. Lots of hotels, tea and scones, trips organized etc.
Brincang is more local tourist town. Also lots of hotels etc. Being local tourists it tends to fill up on public holidays and weekends where as Tanah rata follows foreign backpacker schedule.
Kampung Raja is the farmers town/outpost. Good place to get farm equipment worked on! :)
Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #209
Wildman
In my castle

Hi Rick

Appreciate the input; PM sent.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #210
clickmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by h17 View Post
Hallo Mr Dean, I Have ridden in Malaysia and truly you have great roads there... and for sure I want to go back to ride there...

here is me on the road From Titiwangsa Peak to Belum Perak.

Il ike this picture. Keep riding guys!
clickmaster is offline   Reply With Quote