Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
basketcase OP
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,412
DR650 - short side stand but standard suspension height. Anybody doing that?

Well I used search and didn't find the exact answer I need...

Here's my quandary: when parked on a level surface the bike sits slightly more upright that I am comfortable with. There is no margin at all for even a smidgen of uphill to the left -- which would accentuate leaning to the right.

Looking to the summer, I'll spend some time on this bike with 35 - 50 lbs of gear lashed on it. It seems the issue will get worse when the bike is laden so I'm just planning ahead.

Two Questions:

1. Has anyone put the short side stand on the DR650 with the suspension left at stock? (Rhetorically...)

2. Does it compensate too much the other way, or is the lean manageable?

Finally, the foot of the two side stands are cut and manufactured to rest at flat on the deck when the bike is parked on a level surface and matched with their respective suspension settings. My question at this point has to do with how the foot angle will be effected.

Since dirt and rocky surfaces are rarely uniform it might not be an issue, but thoughts on the pros and cons of that would be appreciated.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
If you are going to add an additional 30-50 lbs, you might want to increase your rear spring preload, or get a stiffer spring. This will make the side stand issue disappear. Also, make sure you turn your bars all the way to the left when propping the bike on the stand.
The shorter side tand, with the bike in tall mode, may give you problems, especially on any sifter surfaces.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
basketcase OP
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,412
After reading your comments I think you are right.

A stiffer rear spring is around $125. The short side stand is $55. It would cost a bit more up front but replacing the spring would solve more than one issue.

Right off hand, do you recall the GVWR of the DR650? I'm going to tally my payload on a spreadsheet and figure from there.

Via edit: I found it online. 770 lbs.

My guesstimate for payload (me with all my junk) without weighing everything is around 275 lbs at full load. So the spring is looking more and more like the fix.

basketcase screwed with this post 03-02-2010 at 07:09 AM
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
You should put new springs in anyway unless you are real skinny and/or a little person. For sure with luggage.

I am using the stock side stand even with my 17" wheels, although my forks are slightly longer than stock.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote