User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
SUVslayer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Airhead Exhaust Wrench

I know it's been posted a hundred times, but I can't find it with the search engine. I'm looking for options (cheap??) for an exhaust wrench. Who wants to get rid of a used one or knows what the new options are?
thanks
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,702
IMO, you simply cannot do better than JT's tools at Northwoods: http://www.northwoodsairheads.com/Tools.html

No, we are not related, nor do I get commision.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
SUVslayer OP
Studly Adventurer

That looks great. Thanks for the heads up.

On another note, the reason the exhaust is coming off is because I need to replace the pushrod seals. That means all the other gaskets will be replaced. Question is, how do I know before taking the cylinder off if I need the little o-rings that go around the top studs? I'm guessing my local BMW shop won't have them in stock and I'll need to order them.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Steve W.
Boxer Pilot

Oddometer: 298
Ed Korn Tools Cycleworks

http://www.cycleworks.net/tools_intake_exhaust.htm

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Be forewarned, in all likelihood, the special wrench is not going to get them off, if they haven't been loosened in however many years (20? 30?) There's a good chance they are stuck and will need to be destroyed in removal.

But there's always a chance you get them free, and from here on out you can crack them loose yearly and apply antisieze.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVslayer
That looks great. Thanks for the heads up.

On another note, the reason the exhaust is coming off is because I need to replace the pushrod seals. That means all the other gaskets will be replaced. Question is, how do I know before taking the cylinder off if I need the little o-rings that go around the top studs? I'm guessing my local BMW shop won't have them in stock and I'll need to order them.
I believe my tube seals came with some, so cheap anyway. Check Hucky out and he will set you up with all the things you need. And if youre lucky (for the entertainment value) you will hear his wife yelling at him about the cat in the background. I love those guys.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
But there's always a chance you get them free, and from here on out you can crack them loose yearly and apply antisieze.
Maybe an overnight spray of Kroil will help loosen them.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie
Maybe an overnight spray of Kroil will help loosen them.
And a little application of the blue tip wrench
Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
man just get the o-ring seals and the cylinder base o-ring or gasket, don't be cheap and it's not worth taking the chance that your old ones will work ok. they won't, they've been compressed for how long.

For the exhaust nuts, try heating them with a heat gun before removal. If you cannt get them loose then you'll have to split them, w/ a hack saw and ordremal w/ a cutoff wheel. Cut most of the way through then split w/ a chisel. the reason you'll stop just shy of cutting all the way through w/ a hack saw is to stay away from the exhast threads on the head. A chisel will bust the nut and allow it to be removed..
Hopefully you won't have to do this. Check the threads on the head as you don't want to cross thread, if threads are a little buggered up then you'll need to chase w/ a thread file.

When putting exhaust nuts back on, coat the threads w/ anti seize.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
SUVslayer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
Be forewarned, in all likelihood, the special wrench is not going to get them off, if they haven't been loosened in however many years (20? 30?) There's a good chance they are stuck and will need to be destroyed in removal.

I'm crossing my fingers I don't run into this problem. Seems to me they were removed at some point not long after getting the bike (can't remember why, I didn't do it) so I'm hoping it's only 8 years of neglect. Don't know how this one got away from me.

Thanks for all the sourcing tips. I cleaned all the old oil away from the PR seals when I changed the oil pan gasket and now they leak like sieves. I've made a minor problem critical
Old 01-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,747
JT's tool is made of steel, a genuine good-for-a-(couple of )-lifetime(s).....

I have also seen the original version of the tool in cast iron, cast bronze and cast aluminum, as well as a slick head-only that you could carry on the bike, and use with a lugnut or socket wrench handle... I thought I had a picture of that one, but cannot find it anywhere....

edit: found it! made by another ADV'r "HPMGuy"

bpeckm screwed with this post 01-06-2010 at 07:23 PM
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
I have JT's wrench, and it's a stout piece of tooling.

And BTW, I batted .500 in luck department on my ST. One nut came off the first time, and the other had to be cut free as described above. Even heat wouldn't persuade it.

And always keep in mind that yes you can always put enough torque to the wrench to get the nut off, but at some point it may bring the threads from the head along with it. If in doubt, sacrifice the nut.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
SUVslayer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
JT's tool is made of steel, a genuine good-for-a-(couple of )-lifetime(s).....

I have also seen the original version of the tool in cast iron, cast bronze and cast aluminum, as well as a slick head-only that you could carry on the bike, and use with a lugnut or socket wrench handle... I thought I had a picture of that one, but cannot find it anywhere....

edit: found it! made by another ADV'r "HPMGuy"
This was the one I was thinking of! Guy rebuilt my drive shaft 10,000 miles ago and when I inspected it it was still looking brand new. I guess it'll come down to cost...

So if I do have to cut the nut, what's the procedure for getting the rest out? dremel hack-and-chop bit by bit??
Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
Once you cut the nut most of the way you use a hammer and chisel, hit it a few times till the see the remaining metal split. Once that happens you should be able to use the wrench to remove it. When it splits it will loosen the grip on the threads. If it still doesn't move (which I doubt you'll have this problem) you'll need to cut another split in the nut preferably 180 degrees from the 1st, then it has to come off.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
In my case, the stuck nut came loose after the first cut. Cutoff wheel in a die grinder as close as I dared get to the threads, then popped it open with a cold chisel. After that it unscrewed just fine. I think I did have to deburr a thread or two with a triangular rat tail file just to cleanit up for he new nut to turn freely.

With luck, though, you won't have to learn this kind of surgery yet.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote