User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Attico OP
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,769
Furniture business

Anyone in the furniture business? We are shopping for bedroom furniture and the selection is limited here. What gives...everything here is particle board ikea junk. The pricing on the web seems to be a big secret for any mid-line selections.

My wife's favourite so far is made by Drexel Heritage (Giasana) and it seems impossible to find locally.

What's a typical mark up on this stuff?
Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,964
Any chance that you can find a local craftsman to build the stuff for you? I know a few folks local to me (including the fellow I work for) that can build top quality furniture for less than what you'd pay at a mid-level store.
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Just a word of caution on internet furniture "stores". A former neighbor in a former state (NC) ran a major internet furniture scam store for several years before it got shut down. He was(and still is) a major scumbag and he took lots of money from a lot of people.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
Attico OP
Wrong way 'round

Ultimately I'd love that, unfortunately I haven't had success. Most of the stuff made around seems to be limited to boxy case goods. They also seem to be more expensive. I think we have a shortage of craftsmen around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Any chance that you can find a local craftsman to build the stuff for you? I know a few folks local to me (including the fellow I work for) that can build top quality furniture for less than what you'd pay at a mid-level store.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,272
It would be hard to find anything to top the Amana furniture.

http://www.amanashops.com/category/amana-furniture-shop
Old 03-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Our entire house is filled with Amish crafted solid wood furniture made in south central PA. The stuff is about the same price as bottom rung furniture store selections, and my kids will be giving it to their kids some day. It's made of a two simple ingredients, Oak lumber, and oak plywood,. It's screwed, glued, dovetailed and pegged together. No particle board, wood look vinyl veneers, hot glue and staple joints, or any other garbage. I pick it up myself, but I have seen outfits in the area that specialize in delivering the stuff all over the east coast.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
ArcticaMT6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
We have a chain here in Seattle area called Don Willis furniture. That would be the way I would go if I wasn't building our own furniture. Good prices, solid wood, and having visited the stores, they look pretty well built.
ArcticaMT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 AM   #8
ridered3000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
[QUOTE=Attico;23709131]Anyone in the furniture business? We are shopping for bedroom furniture and the selection is limited here. What gives...everything here is particle board ikea junk.

My wife's favourite so far is made by Drexel Heritage (Giasana) and it seems impossible to find locally.

I wouldn't be counting on getting higher quality just because of the name on the furniture.I looked at the suite you mentioned and it said they used veneers but doesn't mention what the veneer is applied to.
I worked for a company that supplied the furniture makers for almost 20 years.Including Drexel.You are paying more for the name than the quality anymore.I'm not saying you are getting junk but I would be inclined to look at either of the other companies others have mentioned or look into the amish built.
ridered3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:52 AM   #9
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,952
Find an Amish or Menonite cabinet/furniture shop...... you won't be sorry. Even if you have to travel a bit to get what you want it will be worth it. I'm a boatbuilder and worked in cabinet shops over the years and can build pretty much anything out of wood..... I send my wife to the Menonites when she wants something.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
Our entire house is filled with Amish crafted solid wood furniture made in south central PA. The stuff is about the same price as bottom rung furniture store selections, and my kids will be giving it to their kids some day. It's made of a two simple ingredients, Oak lumber, and oak plywood,. It's screwed, glued, dovetailed and pegged together. No particle board, wood look vinyl veneers, hot glue and staple joints, or any other garbage. I pick it up myself, but I have seen outfits in the area that specialize in delivering the stuff all over the east coast.
Ive got a custom built Morris Chair coming from an Amish shop in the next month or so. There is a small shop in the middle of nowhere that happens to be 20 minutes from me (also middle of nowhere) that has a very good relationship with an Amish consortium in southern MN. The owners of the store just had custom kitchen cabinets built by the shop with LOTS of extra features and it cost them about $100 more than the mid grade available from the local building center (not big box).

Seriously, go looking for a small shop that reps the Amish craft. You won't regret it and you won't have to buy anything again unless you WANT to.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Hey looking to buy couches, I'm in Pa and not a big fan of Raymour & Flanigan. Anyone know of a place. Looking for sofas with recliners.

Thanks
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #12
backroadbender
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
you found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
Anyone in the furniture business? We are shopping for bedroom furniture and the selection is limited here. What gives...everything here is particle board ikea junk. The pricing on the web seems to be a big secret for any mid-line selections.

What's a typical mark up on this stuff?

I am a custom furniture designer and builder. One man shop. Quality hand built furniture. Maybe I can do something for you.
backroadbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
Attico OP
Wrong way 'round

The thread is old. We ended up ordering furniture through a local dealer after lots of searching. It was a good experience and we got what we wanted, and I negotiated about 60% off their initial quote. Yes, sixty....not a typo.

I woulda loved going with a craftsmen rather than a big company, but it just seemed too expensive around here.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: