User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 285 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #61
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,377
Does anyone here have experience with an Aliner? Those look interesting.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #62
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob
I use a 12' Utility trailer now for a toy-hauler but have my heart set one one of these.

http://www.hyperlitetrailers.com/

A little pricey though, $10 to $14K depending on options.

Bob
I like...One of the inmates here and a guy i ride enduros with bought an enclosed trailer and has been building something similar one piece at a time. He has the sink, counter, cabinet, and a shower. I have no place ot leave one or I would be all over this.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #63
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
OK. This is my new Vans! lust thread.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #64
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 2,053
there *are* some slightly smaller options available,too...

jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #65
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead
"Operation"? Is that what posting here is called...

That's a Kevinism.

Gosh, I'd like to have one of these little campers. I wish they didn't cost so much.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #66
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead
I thought they were more like 40, and ugly as a mud fence.
Yea, well, it's designed to give a trailiering harley rider a place to hide his ride AFAIK

And even at 26K its way over priced - I don't know how the beds work but on the website it looks like it's got two twin beds. How fun is that? My Camp-Inn is a full-size [takes the fitted sheets] queen sized bed and it won't smell like bike drippings!

But to each their own - see my wife does not ride, so riding is riding and camping is with her. I'm OK with that.

Smaller is not always cheaper that is for sure - I think of it as the swiss watch effect - as you make it smaller and yet more functional, the cost per cubic foot goes up.

What I do like about the small ones is being able to tow with a 4-cylinder car [my regular car] rather than needing a large truck [which I otherwise don't have much need for].

Other benefits include being a bit more manueverable, the ability to detach and drive the vehicle separately - which all trailers feature and why so many motor homes have to tow a car or motorcycle.

And my personal favorite: No specialized and expensive drivetrain to maintain.

Two years ago all the talk was about trailers making a comeback - I don't know for sure - either you are a trailer camper or you are not, but they remain a good intermediate option - My wife and I got to the point where sleeping on the ground no longer had any charms, yet we love the low budget freedom of camping.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #67
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT
No personal ownership, but I have seen quite a few of them in campgrounds. I've seen inside one.

They are a bit heavy due to having rigid sides - however, this is a benfit in bear country - some places we went were solid-sided vehicles only - no tent pop-ups were allowed. Also, they are fairly wide.

They are quite waterproof - and seemed quite roomy. They have a new model with a double pop roof that looks like it could be huge inside.

I'm not sure I'd bother with the toilet/shower although I believe they have them.

The roof is an excellent place to mount solar panels - I'm not sure I ever saw one w/out a solar panel on the roof!

If you are looking for a pop-up design, it's surely worthy of a good hard look.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #68
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
26K for the Airstream Basecamp

I thought they were more like 40, and ugly as a mud fence.
Personally I don't think they are ugly I just can't see how even 16K would be justified with the construction of the little beasties.

My personal interest is the possibility of a small toy hauler trailer but not for this price!

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #69
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,758
Spent too much time on the manufacturer's website. I really like your set up. Downsides seem to be as you say, no retreat to the trailer (bugs/weather) unless you are laying down.

But I camp to be out, not in...

How hot does I get in HOT weather.

Has anyone put some solar cells on to boost the electrics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely
I've met some T@B owners. The rig is really tall, so towing it takes some power. They have a nice side tent for it.

the problem with them, as the owner noted is that the bed only has one side - so the inside person has to crawl over to get out to take a leak - since both the wife and I have this need now in our dotage, that's not trivial.

The kitchen is also inside...the one thing we observed with the teardrop is this:

The kitchen. It's outside. This means that no matter what we cook, we don't have to sleep in the vapours! Liver and Onions? No problem. Fish? What smell? Also, see that table? Work space abounds on a proper teardrop - see that shelf with the cooler? A table if you need still more space.

Everyone has different needs with their campers. We lucked into the camp-inn, and I have to admit that I'm not tempted by much in bigger campers. We have few systems to go wrong and the ones we have are quite simple - the propane tank connects to the stove and that is all. There is a single battery for all the DC power and the AC simply distributes whatever you plug it into.

I suppose the only downside we have observed is that when it's really cold, you simply cannot go inside to 'stay warm' unless you are all but lying down. But we felt that we were going camping, not taking a house on wheels.

We also like that our trailer fits in our driveway when we are not using it. It takes up no more room than a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #70
JR Greenhorn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by trxcr
Our petite toyhauler.
Got any more details you can share about this setup? Make/model? (I'm struggling with the stylized logo text in the photo)

This looks to be more along the lines of what I'm after. I want something that can pack as many dirt bikes as possible inside (5-6 would be ideal--we get 5 on a 100" x 10' open/flatbed trailer now) , while providing storage for all the camping & riding gear that normally ends up sprawled out on our current flatbed trailer. Also, my kids are 2 and 4 now, so I'm looking ahead at something that's both family-friendly and riding-friendly. I've got a big car with up to 7000lbs of towing capacity to play with, but it seems like there must be a balanced size that provides just enough space without being a chore to tow.

Because I have infallible bad luck, it never fails to rain when we're tent camping on riding trips. Used to be that it'd drizzle all weekend more often than not, but these days, I swear I'm being toyed with. We seem to be getting these quick little cells that roll through with big, fat drops the morning we're to pack up. There's a lot I like about tent camping, but packing up wet tents and wet gear is getting old.

I love the rear kitchen in that silver teardrop. I've been playing with some rough concept models in CAD of a regular cargo trailer with outside-access storage compartments built into the sides. One side's compartments would carry most of the tools, equipment, fuels/oils, etc., while the other side would be set up as an outside kitchen with some sort of fold-down workspace and overhead awning of some sort. Inside would be a fold-down bunk on top of the storage compartments on either side, and the interior floor space would provide additional room for cots/air mattresses when the bikes are unloaded.

I'm wholeheartedly agreeing with the sentiment being hinted at that the camping should be done out-of-doors, and the camper should be a hard sided retreat primary just for sleeping and getting out of rain/mosquito clouds and little else. If I can get something to suit my hauling needs as well, I'd be set.
JR Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #71
ElusivePedro
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT
I will here pretty soon. I've reserved a rental el-strippo Aliner from special services on base where I work. Will be using it on a 3 day ADV ride April 9-11. I will post back some pics and a short report when I return.
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #72
JJMSP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,549
In search of land, huge tracks of Land

Not that kind silly...

Seriously, I've been on the search for more land then where the camper currently sits. Yesterday we looked at five properties in Southern MN thinking we might get an ex-tra weekend each season to play. The next list of land is over in WI, Webb Lake area.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA

JJMSP screwed with this post 03-07-2010 at 10:07 AM
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #73
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Greenhorn
Got any more details you can share about this setup? Make/model? (I'm struggling with the stylized logo text in the photo)
Looks like a Dune Sport: http://dunesport.com/index.php
UtahGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #74
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
My rig...

Not light, but mom's happy.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #75
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
I saw one of those popups earlier last year. Nice. Lotta room.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: