Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 182 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #826
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorADV View Post
That unit is awesome but weighs more and is more expensive.

I can't believe I haven't come across this thread before. I just bought a microlite trailer for 7000. I have the cargo lite extreme. It is sweet. I can tow my bike and live and its really cheap.

I 100% recommend these guys. they are a small business who does custom units. My unit has a custom built outdoor shower and electric water heater. they can also do awnings and stuff.

website---- http://www.microlitetrailer.com/
dealer i went through- ---- http://www.gunlakepaddlesports.com/

Any advice for a young (19 year old) novice trailer owner? I am living in it full time this summer.

Junior, I am really interested in the same model of microlite. Keep us updated as you live in it.

Thanks.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #827
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,787
Quote:
Any advice for a young (19 year old) novice trailer owner? I am living in it full time this summer.
#1 get a decent awning. it will double your space
put an awning rail along the top edge of the rig
http://www.rvawningsonline.com/index...products_id=95

and then get a pole and rope awning
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-400.htm

corrado can sew you up one much cheaper and use mine as a template as we are locals to each other
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487221

#2 cook outside as much as you can

have fun

awning set up on mine
[/
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #828
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
#1 get a decent awning.

#3 have fun.
We use an E-Z-Up type awning (the 10' x 10' kind...like the weekend vendors use), but we have the zip-on walls on ours. It's like having an entire cabin you can bring along. It sets up in minutes, and folds into a bag the size of a lawn chair. We absolutely love this set-up!!
(ours is a 'Quik-Shade' brand) http://www.quikshade.com/

(you can see our Kwik-Kamp trailer hiding on the other side, which opens into the cabin...so it's like we have a cabin with an add-on bedroom!)

(this pic is from us camping at Glacier N.P. last year.)

We camp up with this idea when we had our teardrop, so this would work great for you!!

Set this up over the picnick table. Your food stays dry from rain and dew, and cold stuff won't melt cause of the sun.
Also, the little critters of the woods are less likely to mess with yer stuff.

oh...and you can park your bikes 'inside' your mobile garage!!

Also, like Hodag said...don't cook inside your camper. The steam, heat, and smells will overwhelm you in very short order...and you are living in a very small living space.

btw...you can see I also have a 'clothesline' set-up over on the right. Hang up your sleeping bags on a clothesline to air-out EVERY DAY if possible. They'll stay much fresher and nicer to sleep in.

oh yeah.......HAVE FUN!!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com

Patrick46 screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 08:53 AM Reason: even more fine tuning
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #829
Hodag
native

nice...
all that e-z-up needs is a luggable-loo and you have a crapper too
Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #830
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,036
Quote:
+100 The awning on my Casita is key. The camper is pretty small inside for more than one person and so we basically leave the bed made and "live" outside.

To me the camper is like a hotel room in Paris. You only need it for bathing, sleeping and whatever else you manage to get into... Otherwise you're not going to be just sitting around in your room.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #831
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,643
Pennytech awning....

A piece of webbing looped around a steel pin will slide into an rv awning slot. The webbing is tied to any tarp and staked out with wooden poles for the front. We used this method on our Scamp for years.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #832
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
nice...
all that e-z-up needs is a luggable-loo and you have a crapper too
What I used to use for a very convenient portable toilet was a 5 gallon bucket with one of those toilet seat lids snapped on the top and used scoopable kitty litter to absorb the moisture and odor. Just dust a little bit more in after each use. When the bag is ready tie it shut and dispose of in any dumpster just like you would a bag of cat litter.
(If you use cheap bags you might want to double-bag it to avoid tearing/spillage to be polite to the garbage man...)

No water sloshing,
No dump stations needed,
No rinsing/washing of the loo.

For more compact storage you can also sometimes get a bit shorter 3-3.5 gallon bucket from a bakery.
They get bulk frosting delivered in them, and the lids are the same size as the 5-gallon version buckets, but take up less storage space in your rig.

The scoopable litter comes in screw-top jugs for easy and secure storage as well.
(It also worked well in the litter box for the cats when I brought them along...)
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #833
juniorADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Laugh awning

Thanks for all the suggestions. keep em coming.

I have been pondering the awning question for a while. So the back of my trailer goes up like this...

I was thinking I could use this to my advantage and kinda get some type of awning going out the sides and front to really make huge area. I may be up in Northern NY where the bugs are really bad, so I was also thinking of getting mosquito netting and making some kind of porch/ 3 season room/ sun room out the back of my unit. I was thinking just because of price that a cheap walmart canopy tent with optional side walls would work for my side awning. I have two doors, so one door is going to have a privacy shower tent that will become my bathroom/shower (as I have an outdoor shower right next to the left side door). The other side will get the canopy tent, and the back will get some form of awning based off the raised door.

Any ideas on how I can make some awesome awning/mosquito proof area behind my unit? There are two poles that are to be placed underneath the rear door to provide it support if it is staying open for long periods of time.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #834
juniorADV
Adventurer

Quote:
put an awning rail along the top edge of the rig
http://www.rvawningsonline.com/index...products_id=95

and then get a pole and rope awning
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-400.htm

corrado can sew you up one much cheaper and use mine as a template as we are locals to each other
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487221

have fun

awning set up on mine
[/
Do you think that corrado could do something with the back of my unit? Do you think that the price reasonable enough that getting a legitimate awning from corrado will be worth it vs. getting a canopy tent from walmart?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #835
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,424
Has anyone see one of these in person? www.dub-box.com

kind of cool

Joc
Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #836
Hodag
native

Quote:
Do you think that corrado could do something with the back of my unit? Do you think that the price reasonable enough that getting a legitimate awning from corrado will be worth it vs. getting a canopy tent from walmart?
i think he could...
i've talked with him about a tent set up for the back of the cruiser and he thought he could do it.
like this:

shoot him a pm...

I could see doing an awning tent set up off the back, and also have a tent door (no see um netting with a zipper, and tent material for blocking light) between the rig and the awning tent....
does that make sense?

i think you'll save money in the long run getting something made for the unit, and be happier.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #837
juniorADV
Adventurer

Wicked good idea

Quote:
i think he could...
i've talked with him about a tent set up for the back of the cruiser and he thought he could do it.
like this:

shoot him a pm...

I could see doing an awning tent set up off the back, and also have a tent door (no see um netting with a zipper, and tent material for blocking light) between the rig and the awning tent....
does that make sense?

i think you'll save money in the long run getting something made for the unit, and be happier.
Yeah. I have some ideas for what I can do. I sent him a PM to look into different ideas. Thanks for the help. I think I could end up making this unit really big if I expand outward.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #838
Hodag
native

Quote:
Yeah. I have some ideas for what I can do. I sent him a PM to look into different ideas. Thanks for the help. I think I could end up making this unit really big if I expand outward.
use the inside for bunk space, and you'll be happy.

that little camper of mine sleeps a family of four, and we love it
Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #839
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
find a sail maker ...
he may laugh but if he is any good he can make you what you need..

sail cloth is very good awning material...
attaching it will be easy. depends on how tight you want it.. rope channel pull thru works good.hook and loops will ork good to.

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #840
juniorADV
Adventurer

Laugh but where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
find a sail maker ...
he may laugh but if he is any good he can make you what you need..

sail cloth is very good awning material...
attaching it will be easy. depends on how tight you want it.. rope channel pull thru works good.hook and loops will ork good to.
I'm not really sure where to look for sail makers.....especially small business types that would do something custom like that. Is there some type of sail maker database that I can tap into? haha

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: