Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 255 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #106
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by xshanex
here's the pic of my rental. At the prices for rentals it's next to impossible to justify buying one of this size/type
How much did it cost to rent?

I know it is a big expense getting in... $5k to $15k which will probably never be recovered (what toy's expense do? ) but I think one of the nice things about owning is leaving it semi-permanently set up. Linens in, cook ware in, hell even outdoor specific jackets and packs in... add food and go. Where I live (NM- near Mountains) I could see using it a lot even for a quick over night in the Jemez. Buy food en route home, attach trailer...go.

Jurgen

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #107
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Me likey!

Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #108
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
How much did it cost to rent?

I know it is a big expense getting in... $5k to $15k which will probably never be recovered (what toy's expense do? ) but I think one of the nice things about owning is leaving it semi-permanently set up. Linens in, cook ware in, hell even outdoor specific jackets and packs in... add food and go. Where I live (NM- near Mountains) I could see using it a lot even for a quick over night in the Jemez. Buy food en route home, attach trailer...go.

Jurgen

$80 for 4 days. Picked it up thursday and returned it monday. I just threw in my camping backpack and have a storage tote with all my camping gear in it. For the $5-15k I'm getting something with an engine or a toyhauler that has a little more "ability/use/capability." Renting will get me by for now for a few hundred per year
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #109
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick
Me likey
That's not small
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #110
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,346
Quote:
$80 for 4 days. Picked it up thursday and returned it monday. I just threw in my camping backpack and have a storage tote with all my camping gear in it. For the $5-15k I'm getting something with an engine or a toyhauler that has a little more "ability/use/capability." Renting will get me by for now for a few hundred per year
At that price you are convincing me.

Jurgen

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:40 AM   #111
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong70
The egg camper reminds me of a motel 6. not luxurious, but efficient and purposeful.
That describes it pretty well.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #112
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
That's not small
Small enough for me!

In all honesty I did check out the R-pod. Vary nice.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #113
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
I spent a few hours hanging out in an Oliver Trailer a couple weeks back. Having spent some time in typical RV builds over the years, I was surprised by the build quality. The couple who own it live in it full-time, and it'd likely be overkill for most people.

What I mean about the build quality is that most trailers and RV's are shells with all the interior things bolted/riveted/screwed in afterward (there may be a different process, but that's what it appears to be). This trailer had the layout designed, then molded as 1 piece. Think the seats of a jacuzzi: it's not seats bolted into the tub, it's all a single molded piece of material. Then that molded tub is put into an outer shell, which is halved in one place only. Fewer chances for leaks, and looks really clean on the inside and out.

The company is on hiatus at the moment, and they are pricey. But for people looking for top quality, they are the nicest I've seen. It's not cheap, light and can't likely haul bikes.

There is a ton of info on this page. This is the one I was visiting.

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #114
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,551
This pretty much killed it for me....No wonder they live in a camper.....

Bob
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #115
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob
This pretty much killed it for me....No wonder they live in a camper.....

Bob
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #116
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,846
Quote:
Just sayin... keep an eye on your MWR - they regularly auction off campers, boats etc.
tony the tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #117
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,842
What's an MWR?
Lobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #118
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRip
There is a ton of info on this page. This is the one I was visiting.
I don't think I could spend as much time in something that small as they obviously intend to, but it's a sweet looking rig. I could certainly vacation in it.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #119
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
This thread is for small pop-ups, Eggs, Tear drops, and Small cargo/campers. Think under one ton, 2,000 lbs. (cause my truck's towing is 2200. )
What are the benefits? What are the minuses? Have you owned one? What did you like/hate?
Sorry if this is 205. Looks to be quite a bit of informaiton.

http://www.johnweeks.com/random/campers/
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #120
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
I don't think I could spend as much time in something that small as they obviously intend to, but it's a sweet looking rig. I could certainly vacation in it.
Yep, it's really good quality, and they built it to suit with their solar and tech gadgetry. They've been in this one nearly 2 years now. The one they had before was a T@b that was much smaller. Now they have been looking at boats...

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: