User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 902
Wee strom crashbars

well I've picked up a K8 650A, with 9944 k's on the clock, for $7500(aud).
I will be fitting a B&B Bashplate, but I'm unsure which engine crash bars to use. will be doing alot of offroad riding so they have to over good protection ?
is one brand high than the other ?
the new bike

The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
code
advcurious

Oddometer: 669
From my experiences the givi bars serve better then the sw-motech. Totaled my 08' and currently have an 07' with the givi's. The bike has been over, but never while moving. The 08 was down obviously while moving and while standing still (which is when a majority of your drops will be if you decide to take it "off-road"). I honestly didn't care for how the sw-motech is actually a two piece frame with a chinsey bracket that connects the two tubes in the front. Also, they tend to do more of a job protecting the lower portion and less up top. They're good for the tank protection, but the blinkers and handguards (if you buy suzuki)you'll most likely loose.

The b&b plate is a sweet one. Have the vstroma plate on mine which is all steel, but the b&b was next on my list.

Chances are you'll want handguards as well. You didn't already screw yourself buying the suzuki ones, so I'd go for something better from the start. Preferrably with the metal protector and then the plastic shield which attaches. Acrebis, Touratech and several others carry them. The suzuki ones are only good for deflecting wind. You drop the bike once and you're bound to crack them.

Chances are you'll also loose your turn signals, so flush mounts may be an option and found as cheap as $20 on ebay (something that you may hold off doing til you actually drop it and break the stem though).

Just my .02 for what it's worth. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the bike, am sure you'll love it!

code screwed with this post 03-02-2010 at 06:15 PM
code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
the sw motechs have been redesigned in late 09

The new design is beefier 1 inch tubes and come up higher on the sides. Also no vibes.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 627
i have a H&P and local dealer had a new SW motech. After comparing them in detail- i can say the new SW motech is better - the crass bar construction in my opinion is better, which is needed on small drops to resist bending the crash bar. The H&P is still slightly taller by 20mm which might still resist scraching the fairing better than motech - but only just. I go for the new Motech crash bars about $300

The new AMS skid plate solves the problem with the old one and cost about the same as B&B. The mount on B&B is on the exhaust - i am no engineer and there's not a consensus out there at the moment as to whether this is a good idea - IMHO, i like the AMS idea better. All skip plates will lower your centreline clearance by 5-10mm. about $320

Handguards, i recommend Barkbuster VPS for Vstrom - a lot tougher and not much more than the OEM plastic - with the included additional flap it should provide decent wind protection - about $160

Centre stand - get the OEM or Africa Single copy - no reduction in centreline clearance, no stability concern - but cornering clearance is reduced, but maybe cut 20mm off to get rid of the issue - look at Vstrom website. between AUD$260 landed to $400(OEM)

u will need to get a madstad mount, and perhaps a larger screen if touring is considered. Otherwise buffeting will drive u nuts. about $AUD130

After that - spend some money on suspension mods & fork brace - upto AUD $1700 if u want ELKA shock with mod front and ricks brace

good luck and have fun.
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 AM   #5
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,706
The new SW Motech are very well made . . . much beafier than the previous set and are higher:

'14 V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure "The Train"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
I like the Givis
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 AM   #7
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
I went with Givi Looks like it protects the best. I had a drop at a light and the turn signal broke as well as my heart.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1952
I went with Givi Looks like it protects the best. I had a drop at a light and the turn signal broke as well as my heart.
I went with Givi also, and also replaced the front blinkers with flush mounts. The only damage caused but a parked crash. I went with the Givi beacause they came up higher than most. No regrets.
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
Geodirt
Dorky Adventurer...

Oddometer: 71
Low-sided my Strom at around 30mph and the Givi bars did a good job. They bent a bit but there was no tank or fairing damage. Lost the brake pedal, footpeg, brake lever and the handle bars folded like a noodle...