Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
BobStash OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Several weeks around the SW USA: CO, WY, ID, UT, etc.

I have several weeks of work trips back-to-back visiting locations in places that would be fun to ride to. So, I decided to ride. I will spare the work details and focus on the ride and pics.

I had a Yam Road Star before moving to CO (last year) and needed a bike for the trip. So, I picked up this girl last Thursday. She's a nearly bone stock 2003 Road Star Midnight Star

I don't see too many road bikes posted on here, so I hope this is okay to post. I love ADV Rider and the ride stories. I have been following ADV-R for several years even though most of my riding is pretty mild compared to those that post here.

Anyway, here goes....
BobStash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
BobStash OP
Adventurer

Day 1 - Woodland Park to Oak Creek, CO

Tues Night I need to be in SLC. I really was not sure when I was going to leave nor the route.

Fri night I was in the garage working and packing bike. Around 1130 I was sitting in my Lazy Boy in the garage when a bear came in stole a trash can and dragged it down the hill. To say I screamed was an understatement I used this as a sign to depart the next day We are lucky enough to live on the North side of Pikes Peak at an elevation of 9500'. The bears are very active right now.

So, I left around noon on Saturday (yesterday).

Filling up in Divide, CO all packed up and ready to go

Stopped in Hartsel, CO after crossing the South Park Basin

Looking back east across South Park County and a branch of the Platte River

Stopped for fuel in Copper Mountain

Beautiful stream behind the Conoco. Looking west towards Vail Mountain

Just south of Oak Creek, CO

Stopped for the night in Oak Creek, CO (just south of Steamboat Springs). Nice hotel and a nice Bourbon.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
BobStash OP
Adventurer

Day 2 - Oak Creek, CO to Hayden, WY

After a crappy night's sleep, I headed off North not really sure where I was headed.

Today's Route

Entering Steamboat with early morning hot air balloons.

Route 129 North out of Steamboat turns to dirt road about 30 miles north. It is exceptionally pretty. The following pics are taken from various spots along 129.

I think this is the Yampa River

Are these Emus?

About to pickup Hwy 80. July 4th flavor.

287 N towards Yellowstone. Open Road!

Old 07-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
BobStash OP
Adventurer

I have 2 days to kill before heading to Salt Lake City. Can anyone recommend a route for tomorrow (Mon)? I have been through Jackson a bunch so if I can avoid it and follow back roads, I am up for it. I am really open for any route as long as the end point puts me within a day's ride to SLC.

My plan at this point is sketched below.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=la...j0Q&mra=ls&z=9
Old 07-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
Great ride!! Thanks for sharing it

Old 07-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobStash View Post
I have 2 days to kill before heading to Salt Lake City. Can anyone recommend a route for tomorrow (Mon)? I have been through Jackson a bunch so if I can avoid it and follow back roads, I am up for it. I am really open for any route as long as the end point puts me within a day's ride to SLC.

My plan at this point is sketched below.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=la...j0Q&mra=ls&z=9
Good choices thus far-
Couple thoughts: It;s construction season in Utardia, and a busy weekend

from Montpelier (by the way, good cafe on the north end of town, little white building out in front of a strip mall, cant recall the name)

1. Head south to Paris, turn right toward Mink creek/Preston (36) over the natl forest (great road all the way to Preston)- then follow 89 to Logan.
From Logan over to Brigham City, stay on the east side (hwy 89) instead of I-15 to Ogden.
Up over Ogden canyon (SR 39) to huntsville/trapper's loop (187) over the top to Mountain Green. Briefly jump on I-84 to Morgan. Turn southeast through Morgan on SR 66, around east canyon to 65 that links up with I-80 near Park CIty. (I'm not sure if 65 south of east canyon res is open yet due to snow, will check) May need to stay on I-84 which is still pretty nice for big slab...

2. South to Bear lake from MonteP, Turn up HWY 89 from Garden City over the Cache forest to Logan...higher up

3. Laest traffic option) continue south arond BEar lake (30) to Sage Creek, sout on 16 to Woodruff, turn right (west) onto 39 over 9800 ft Monte Cristo summit to Huntsville/Pine view Res, then trapers loop, Morgan, etc.

Edit: lots of babble above, feel free to PM any ??
Edit part deux- 65 is OPEN, good route to miss urban hell

Signal screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 06:15 PM
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
aholecop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
thanks!

i to have a road bike and currently putting together a ride . i have a few weeks off and heading west (from NJ) . good luck!
also are you using a GPS or map?
aholecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
BobStash OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholecop View Post
i to have a road bike and currently putting together a ride . i have a few weeks off and heading west (from NJ) . good luck!
also are you using a GPS or map?
I am just using Google Maps on my Android. I know the general route I want to take each day and sort of wing it along the route, stopping when I get tired. I had/have work to do tonight so I stopped in time to give me time on the laptop.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
BobStash OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Good choices thus far-
Couple thoughts: It;s construction season in Utardia, and a busy weekend

from Montpelier (by the way, good cafe on the north end of town, little white building out in front of a strip mall, cant recall the name)

1. Head south to Paris, turn right toward Mink creek/Preston (36) over the natl forest (great road all the way to Preston)- then follow 89 to Logan.
From Logan over to Brigham City, stay on the east side (hwy 89) instead of I-15 to Ogden.
Up over Ogden canyon (SR 39) to huntsville/trapper's loop (187) over the top to Mountain Green. Briefly jump on I-84 to Morgan. Turn southeast through Morgan on SR 66, around east canyon to 65 that links up with I-80 near Park CIty. (I'm not sure if 65 south of east canyon res is open yet due to snow, will check) May need to stay on I-84 which is still pretty nice for big slab...

2. South to Bear lake from MonteP, Turn up HWY 89 from Garden City over the Cache forest to Logan...higher up

3. Laest traffic option) continue south arond BEar lake (30) to Sage Creek, sout on 16 to Woodruff, turn right (west) onto 39 over 9800 ft Monte Cristo summit to Huntsville/Pine view Res, then trapers loop, Morgan, etc.

Edit: lots of babble above, feel free to PM any ??
Edit part deux- 65 is OPEN, good route to miss urban hell
Awesome! I am familiar with Utah mainly as a Jeeper so good paved routes are new to me. I will research your recommendations and fine tune the route I have sketched. Thanks a ton for the recommendations!
Old 07-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,786
Nice bike, pics and report.

Thank you - and keep it coming!

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,322
Bob ? 'jamake it