Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #31
replicant
consummate n00b

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
So you were able to slide the new pads up in-between the rotor and the caliper and get it all lined up with the caliper still in place eh?
This is pretty easy, there's even a video on youtube by adv'er Giodog.

I ran my original pads to 24,000mi., and they were overdue for a change. So far I've taken delivery of the green Galfers for the front. It is grabby in a good way, but hard to compare to the OEM since they were so worn out. Still waiting for my rear green Galfers to come -- been riding without using the (totally worn out) rear brake for like 3 weeks now
replicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #32
replicant
consummate n00b

Oddometer: 97
Speaking of new Galfer pads, can anyone tell me if this looks normal? These are the green front pads.

This is how they came in the package. Seems they were planed down, since nothing sticks up, but those rough areas dip down below the level part. I didn't return them since it would have been a pain and I didn't know for sure this isn't normal. And they seem to work fine (for now).
replicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #33
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Im just getting ready to roll over 20k on the bike and am ready to replace them. I am pretty suprised! I guess i should start to uses them more. Now tires are another story. So anybody trying green all around. I tend to be a two finger kinda guy
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #34
nzcvlh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
[ QUOTE=replicant;16181969]Speaking of new Galfer pads, can anyone tell me if this looks normal? These are the green front pads.

Mine stared out smooth and eneded up looking the same only worse after about 500 miles (including 50% off road) and they have NO stopping power. They are junk. You can have Galfer Greens... Went back to OEM.... Much much better.

This is how they came in the package. Seems they were planed down, since nothing sticks up, but those rough areas dip down below the level part. I didn't return them since it would have been a pain and I didn't know for sure this isn't normal. And they seem to work fine (for now).[/QUOTE]
nzcvlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #35
Pathfinder2
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Wicked Thanks Cowboy

I have 40,500 miles on my original BMW rear pads on my GS8 and was looking for information on replacement options. I saw Cowboy2 comment and gave it a go. Worked great. About 10 minutes total. Since the original pads worked well for my type of use I have replaced them with factory OEM. However, these do not have the wear indicator grooves that were on the original pads. Anyway thanks to Cowbow2 for his advice.
Pathfinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #36
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant View Post
Speaking of new Galfer pads, can anyone tell me if this looks normal? These are the green front pads.

This is how they came in the package. Seems they were planed down, since nothing sticks up, but those rough areas dip down below the level part. I didn't return them since it would have been a pain and I didn't know for sure this isn't normal. And they seem to work fine (for now).
I bought the green Galfers but had not taken them out of the package until now.

Disappointingly, but rear pads look like yours, my front pads look as I would expect - no surface defects.

I'll probably go back to the OEM units unless the life and wear rate on the ROTOR are better.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #37
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
No surface defects in mine, but a decidedly difference texture. Front is smooth but the rear is abrasive like sandpaper.

itsatdm screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 07:49 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #38
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
When I had the my last service done at 27903 they told me I would be need front brake pads before long. Today I changed the pad at 33300 I changed the pads. The old pads appear to me to have about as much left on them as the new green Galfers. Were the OEM pads thicker than the Galfers? Old OEM pad on top Galfer on bottom.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #39
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

I am glad you posted that. At 21,000 my OEM look just like yours and compare the same way as to the Galfers I intendend to install. I think I will look at a new OEM pad for comparison.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #40
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I am glad you posted that. At 21,000 my OEM look just like yours and compare the same way as to the Galfers I intendend to install. I think I will look at a new OEM pad for comparison.
Did you have a chance to compare the new OEM?
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #41
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I replaced my rear pads a while back and figured the front would be due soon as well, so I ordered some in. I was surprised when they arrived and are the same thickness as my original pads at 50k kms. I never did bother to put them on the bike yet.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #42
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

I haven't switched mine either and the dealer is 60 miles away, so it will be awhile.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #43
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
I have a set of the Galffer green pads on the shelf ... awaiting installation.
I do not know what the new thickness is for the OEM pads, but the pad thickness on the Galffers (NOT counting the backing plate) is:

Rear: ~0.23"

Front: ~0.17"

I have no idea why the fronts are thinner, but they are indeed noticably thinner just by looking at them.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #44
rokboat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
rear pads

Hey there, does anyone know what the thickness of the OEM new rear pad should be. I just got a set from local dealer and they appear to be too thick and having trouble getting them to fit and no room for rotor. They may have sent the wrong set but figured I would check first. Thanks in advance. PS these are for the F800GS

rokboat screwed with this post 09-17-2011 at 05:40 PM Reason: correction
rokboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #45
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokboat View Post
Hey there, does anyone know what the thickness of the OEM new rear pad should be. I just got a set from local dealer and they appear to be too thick and having trouble getting them to fit and no room for rotor. They may have sent the wrong set but figured I would check first. Thanks in advance. PS these are for the F800GS
I know the first year bike has different front pads but rear should be the same. make sure the calipers are compress all the way but there should be pleanty of play in between the two. owners booket show the recommendations on brake specs.
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote