ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
V8 OP
.
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Oddometer: 9,194
Vermont DMV

I read a post a couple of weeks ago about getting a plate for an off road bike with a Light Kit was easiest to do in Vermont.
Can someone LMK more about this.Searched but could not find the thread.

V8 screwed with this post 03-03-2010 at 03:51 AM
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by V84x4
I read a post a couple of weeks ago about getting a plate for an off road bike with a Light Kit was easiest to do in Vermont.
Can someone LMK more about this.Searched but could not find the thread.
yep. get an address in Vermont then I think you can register a vehicle here....lots of people with second homes register their cars here vs their home state which may have more annoying registration rules.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,661
Actually, you don't even need to be a Vermont resident to register a bike here. My dad lives in Virginia but has his bike registered here.

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..
 
BmoreBandit's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bawlmer
Oddometer: 489
...reeeeaaaaly?
actually, i heard they'll slap plates on a tractor in VT, no problem.
__________________
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable...

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double
 
EvilClown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Uncanoonucs...
Oddometer: 16,415
My Weber has a VT plate.
__________________
These are our Golden Years. ~ EC


The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB


The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220
 
Rcrx21's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Collegeville, PA
Oddometer: 445
tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
Actually, you don't even need to be a Vermont resident to register a bike here. My dad lives in Virginia but has his bike registered here.

--mark
Care to enlighten us on how this is done?
Thank you in advance.
Rcrx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: New England
Oddometer: 7,074
Just go to the VT DMV website. It is all spelled out clearly there.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
If you have an off road only title, you'll need to install all the lighting and have it inspected for road worthiness before DMV will register it. I registered 5 bikes last year for buddies out of state. Its easy, you just need to understand the process. PM me for info if you get stuck.

Since our Nuke plant is shutting down, we need all the revenue we can get and registering dirt bikes is a good start
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220
 
Rcrx21's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Collegeville, PA
Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
If you have an off road only title, you'll need to install all the lighting and have it inspected for road worthiness before DMV will register it. I registered 5 bikes last year for buddies out of state. Its easy, you just need to understand the process. PM me for info if you get stuck.

Since our Nuke plant is shutting down, we need all the revenue we can get and registering dirt bikes is a good start
I have a KDX so it has the lights and I installed the brake light switch but I am only applying for tags and I live in PA.
I filled out form TA-VD-119 but I am not sure if I have to pay the purchase and use tax or not. If I do have to pay the 6% do I calculate it from my bill of sale price or NADA?
Since the bike is under 300cc I dont need a title. Do I send them a copy of the bill of sale or do they want the original? I was leary of calling the DMV and asking stupid questions.
I think I am close but I want to avoid going back and forth with them.
Instructions are here http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...structions.pdf
and form is here http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil..._Title_App.pdf
Rcrx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcrx21
I have a KDX so it has the lights and I installed the brake light switch but I am only applying for tags and I live in PA.
I filled out form TA-VD-119 but I am not sure if I have to pay the purchase and use tax or not. If I do have to pay the 6% do I calculate it from my bill of sale price or NADA?
Since the bike is under 300cc I dont need a title. Do I send them a copy of the bill of sale or do they want the original? I was leary of calling the DMV and asking stupid questions.
I think I am close but I want to avoid going back and forth with them.
Instructions are here http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...structions.pdf
and form is here http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil..._Title_App.pdf

The bike needs to come here for a VIN verification and then you can register it and you will need to pay the sales tax..... they always want the pound of flesh. A VT police officer or official DMV office can do the verification for you, so you'll need to bring it here I'm afraid..... like Maple syrup
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:34 AM   #11
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220
 
Rcrx21's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Collegeville, PA
Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
The bike needs to come here for a VIN verification and then you can register it and you will need to pay the sales tax..... they always want the pound of flesh. A VT police officer or official DMV office can do the verification for you, so you'll need to bring it here I'm afraid..... like Maple syrup
Section 7 says that a visual inspection only needs to be done if it requires a title. Bikes under 300cc do not require a title.
Is every one as confused as I am yet?
Rcrx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcrx21
Section 7 says that a visual inspection only needs to be done if it requires a title. Bikes under 300cc do not require a title.
Is every one as confused as I am yet?
Right, but if the bike is coming from out of state, it needs to be VIN verified.
They want to be sure it wasn't stolen. I guess I'm confused why you're having such a hard time understanding this.

I call the local PD and they come to my shop and verify the VIN number and call it in to be sure its cool. Once the cop gets confirmation that the bike is not stolen, he signs the section on the Reg form that he's verified the VIN. He leaves and goes off to fight crime and I go to the DMV and register the bike.

If the bike is above 300CC and has an MSO or title stamped "off road use only" the bike needs to be inspected for road worthiness by an inspection station (good luck, most won't do it). When you have the inspection letter and the VIN verification, you can then go to DMV.

Sounds like you need to bring the bike here for a VIN verification and then head to DMV and register it... then go home.


Clear?
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220
 
Rcrx21's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Collegeville, PA
Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Clear?
Got it.
Rcrx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #14
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Right, but if the bike is coming from out of state, it needs to be VIN verified.
They want to be sure it wasn't stolen. I guess I'm confused why you're having such a hard time understanding this.

I call the local PD and they come to my shop and verify the VIN number and call it in to be sure its cool. Once the cop gets confirmation that the bike is not stolen, he signs the section on the Reg form that he's verified the VIN. He leaves and goes off to fight crime and I go to the DMV and register the bike.

If the bike is above 300CC and has an MSO or title stamped "off road use only" the bike needs to be inspected for road worthiness by an inspection station (good luck, most won't do it). When you have the inspection letter and the VIN verification, you can then go to DMV.

Sounds like you need to bring the bike here for a VIN verification and then head to DMV and register it... then go home.


Clear?

__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
MsLizVt
pfft ...
 
MsLizVt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Killington, Vermont
Oddometer: 1,550
Just trying to be helpful ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcrx21
Got it.
Rcrx21, Hi!

What's being said in this thread is correct, mostly.

The normal method to register a vehicle in Vermont that was not registered here before is to have it VIN verified by a police officer in Vermont or the Vermont DMV. However, as you most likely have read on the VD119 Registration Application Instructions, Section 7, a motor vehicle official another state or individual authorized by that state to verify VIN numbers can do the VIN verification and sign the VIN Verification letter that Vermont will send you once you have sent in your registration.

I personally can vouch for the above. Vermont gives you 60 days to do the VIN verification after you have registered the bike. I happened to buy a motor vehicle out of state that was not going to be back in Vermont within the 60 days. I spoke with Vermont DMV when I was registering it. They told me to go to a DMV in any state or find a police officer in that state to do the Verification. I did just that. I also asked the verifier to put their name, phone number, agency, title, and address on the bottom of the letter, under their signature. I sent that original Verification Letter into Vermont DMV, within ten days they sent me the sticker for my license plate with the month and year of expiration. [When you first register a vehicle that has not been bought in Vermont, or VIN verified, the DMV will give you a license plate with an orange T (Temporary) sticker on it, which is good for 60 days.]

In the sense of ease to register, I agree, if the bike is in Vermont, it can be VIN verified and registered all in one day. To do this from out of state it takes longer, but it still gets done. Generally, it's believed this freedom to have the verifications done out of state is to help those who are residents of Vermont (and others), but are working out of state or are stationed out of state in the military for extended periods of time.

Regarding engine size under 300cc being required to be titled, as you mentioned, in the VD119 Registration Application Instructions, Section 7 it states that a vehicle needs a VIN verification if it is required to be titled, and is a motorcycle previously registered or titled out of state and is over 300cc.

Vermont does not issue titles for a motorcycle under 300cc motorcycle, as you've most likely read on VD119 Registration Application Instructions, page 2.

Your question about what to pay the taxes on, purchase price or NADA book is a crap shoot. Many vehicles that were bought for very little because they were in such beat up shape were taxed based on an NADA book value of much more. There's always the debate of finding a dealer who will 'appraise' the vehicle, hoping they won't charge you, or paying the dealer their fee of $25-$50 or whatever they feel like. Then there is the question of what NADA value the DMV will use. It's almost impossible to guess, if you're sending it all in by mail.

The best thing to do, if you just bought this bike, is to send in the completed registration application with a copy, not the original, of the bill of sale, filled out with the purchase price, and wait for the DMV to send you back the plate or a note to pay them more money. If by chance they feel that your bike has to be VIN verified they will send you the appropriate VIN Verification letter with the registration.

Again, it's pretty easy to do if the bike is up here. But it's not impossible to do if it's not.

Has this been helpful?

Enjoy,






Liz

PS: The instructions for filling out the registration application can be found here as a PDF file: VD119 Registration Application Instructions
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014