ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #16
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,681
I registered my 68 land rover 109 last fall and I had a bill of sale for $1000. Being as old as it was the DMV couldn't find a value on it. Then they got creative and pulled up the collectors catalog. It was tense for a few moments while I waited for them to charge me taxes based on a mint condition collectors item which could easily have been valued in the $15000 to $25000 range. Luckily someone else stepped in and said just to go with the $1000 bill of sale. Granted $1000 bill of sale may not have been the most accurate of documents....but still. In any event...the moral of this story is that if the DMV over values your ride/vehicle then you can go get it appraised and the DMV will reimburse you the difference if you can provide the proof.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Husaberg tank for sale: HERE
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #17
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,474
Seth, you're right ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
the moral of this story is that if the DMV over values your ride/vehicle then you can go get it appraised and the DMV will reimburse you the difference if you can provide the proof.

Seth, Hi!

I totally agree with you. How many of us have stood there when the DMV person says, "Well I can't find it in the NADA book. Let me get the Hemmings Motor News.", knowing that the vehicle we're trying to register is no way near a collector item.

An appraisal is totally a good thing to have when the DMV value is higher. I've had those moments where their value was $1,000 or less, higher than the actual purchase price where I decided to pay the extra $60+/- in taxes rather than go running to get the appraisal done.

It's been my experience though, that going back to DMV after I've registered the vehicle, with an appraisal, trying to get the refund was not all that easy. If we can't come to acceptable terms when I'm registering it, I take the paperwork home. Once I get the appraisal I go back with all the paperwork, including the appraisal, and register it. Everyone's mileage and experiences may vary of course.

Enjoy,

Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 AM   #18
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt
Rcrx21, Hi!

What's being said in this thread is correct, mostly.

The normal method to register a vehicle in Vermont that was not registered here before is to have it VIN verified by a police officer in Vermont or the Vermont DMV. However, as you most likely have read on the VD119 Registration Application Instructions, Section 7, a motor vehicle official another state or individual authorized by that state to verify VIN numbers can do the VIN verification and sign the VIN Verification letter that Vermont will send you once you have sent in your registration.

I personally can vouch for the above. Vermont gives you 60 days to do the VIN verification after you have registered the bike. I happened to buy a motor vehicle out of state that was not going to be back in Vermont within the 60 days. I spoke with Vermont DMV when I was registering it. They told me to go to a DMV in any state or find a police officer in that state to do the Verification. I did just that. I also asked the verifier to put their name, phone number, agency, title, and address on the bottom of the letter, under their signature. I sent that original Verification Letter into Vermont DMV, within ten days they sent me the sticker for my license plate with the month and year of expiration. [When you first register a vehicle that has not been bought in Vermont, or VIN verified, the DMV will give you a license plate with an orange T (Temporary) sticker on it, which is good for 60 days.]

In the sense of ease to register, I agree, if the bike is in Vermont, it can be VIN verified and registered all in one day. To do this from out of state it takes longer, but it still gets done. Generally, it's believed this freedom to have the verifications done out of state is to help those who are residents of Vermont (and others), but are working out of state or are stationed out of state in the military for extended periods of time.

Regarding engine size under 300cc being required to be titled, as you mentioned, in the VD119 Registration Application Instructions, Section 7 it states that a vehicle needs a VIN verification if it is required to be titled, and is a motorcycle previously registered or titled out of state and is over 300cc.

Vermont does not issue titles for a motorcycle under 300cc motorcycle, as you've most likely read on VD119 Registration Application Instructions, page 2.

Your question about what to pay the taxes on, purchase price or NADA book is a crap shoot. Many vehicles that were bought for very little because they were in such beat up shape were taxed based on an NADA book value of much more. There's always the debate of finding a dealer who will 'appraise' the vehicle, hoping they won't charge you, or paying the dealer their fee of $25-$50 or whatever they feel like. Then there is the question of what NADA value the DMV will use. It's almost impossible to guess, if you're sending it all in by mail.

The best thing to do, if you just bought this bike, is to send in the completed registration application with a copy, not the original, of the bill of sale, filled out with the purchase price, and wait for the DMV to send you back the plate or a note to pay them more money. If by chance they feel that your bike has to be VIN verified they will send you the appropriate VIN Verification letter with the registration.

Again, it's pretty easy to do if the bike is up here. But it's not impossible to do if it's not.

Has this been helpful?

Enjoy,

Liz

PS: The instructions for filling out the registration application can be found here as a PDF file: VD119 Registration Application Instructions
So I am on the right track, I will send in what I have and if I get the VIN verification paperwork back I am sure it wont be a problem to get filled out.
Thank you very much.
Rcrx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #19
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcrx21
So I am on the right track, I will send in what I have and if I get the VIN verification paperwork back I am sure it wont be a problem to get filled out.
Thank you very much.
Rcrx21, Hi!

You're welcome. Do let us know how you make out, please.

Enjoy,

Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #20
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt
Rcrx21, Hi!

You're welcome. Do let us know how you make out, please.

Enjoy,
Liz
I found the VIN verification form online so I am going to have that done also and send in with everything else.
Rcrx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #21
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcrx21
I found the VIN verification form online so I am going to have that done also and send in with everything else.
I'm interested to find out if an out of state cop will work, it would save lots of hassle. Also, the registration form has a VIN verification section in the lower left portion of the form.

FYI, you can call the DMV and ask them the details on the VIN verification, they're very help full usually.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #22
crudmop
eTard

Oddometer: 202
I registered a vehicle in VT a couple of years ago in the same manner you are considering - though it might have changed in the last 24 months or so.

As was mentioned, anything 300c or less uses the registration document as the title, and transfers to other states as a valid title document (if you chose to title in your home state later, as long as they have the vehicle model in their system).

You do not need an address in VT - they'll register it to your home address in your home state. If you shoot a digital photo of the vin number and send that along with the paperwork (downloadable on the VT site), with a check for the titling and registration amount, you should receive your plate and reg in the mail in a couple of weeks. They have a support document that explains what the cost is by vehicle, and you want to make sure you have the payment amount right - they will refuse it if it is under, but will not if it is over. I received a refund check when my plate showed up. I got the impression that it's reasonably relaxed and they are just happy to receive your money. I can say that my situation was particularly convoluted and I received my reg and plate without issue.

They do expect you to get a VT vehicle inspection after you are plated, though you can decide if you will do so or ride dangerously :) If you are transferring the registration to another state, this becomes moot.

I'd give it a shot with the photo and see what happens. Worst case is that they bounce it back to you and you make arrangements to have another party verify the vin.
crudmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #23
CallMeBuzz
Bad as can

Oddometer: 541
I see Vermont DMV is pretty lenient on the requirements compared to Ct. What if my CRF450x has never been registered and I don't have the MSO. It's totally streel legal by CT requirements but I got stopped in my tracks not having cert. of origin or MSO. Another twist to the story, not sure if it matters but I have a reciept from the previous owner that says "paid in full" He bought the bike in Vt from a dealer. Wierd thing is I contacted that dealer and they said those bikes have no MSO? Any thoughts?
CallMeBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #24
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeBuzz
I see Vermont DMV is pretty lenient on the requirements compared to Ct. What if my CRF450x has never been registered and I don't have the MSO. It's totally streel legal by CT requirements but I got stopped in my tracks not having cert. of origin or MSO. Another twist to the story, not sure if it matters but I have a reciept from the previous owner that says "paid in full" He bought the bike in Vt from a dealer. Wierd thing is I contacted that dealer and they said those bikes have no MSO? Any thoughts?
I was just about to respond to your PM.

No MSO, no registration until the bike is 15 yrs old and then you only need a bill of sale, unless its 300CC and below which also only requires a bill of sale.

My suggestion to you is, buy a 250 frame off of Ebay and have them provide you a bill of sale, or find a 450 frame with an MSO. Honda will not reissue them from what I've been told. Another good reason to avoid Honda's
Old 03-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #25
CallMeBuzz
Bad as can

Thanks, you saved me a trip up there on Thurs. Going the frame route was my next step. I knew I shoulda just bought a KTM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #26
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Thanks, you saved me a trip up there on Thurs. Going the frame route was my next step. I knew I shoulda just bought a KTM.
Well, KTM will re-issue an MSO by request from a dealer, so in a sense you're right. Tony Morr has a frame in his basement and he might even have an MSO for it.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #27
CallMeBuzz
Bad as can

Please tell me you mean a 450x frame?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #28
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Please tell me you mean a 450x frame?
Well, I guess that depends on how bad you want to register your bike. If a 250 frame will get it done, then you're riding your "450X", who gives a damn what the title says? Especially since the bikes are just about identical.

Maybe wait 15 years for the 450 title to work out?
Old 03-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #29
CallMeBuzz
Bad as can

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Maybe wait 15 years for the 450 title to work out?

I'd have no problem using a 250x if it would work. There are a bunch of those on e-bay now. Now, to find out if that will work...
Old 03-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #30
NorthernCarver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
When I register a vehicle here I always go to the mobile dmv in White River. The folks there are incredibly helpful and friendly and will verify your VIN on the spot even if you didn't get it there legally(after a good natured dose of ribbing.
NorthernCarver is offline   Reply With Quote