ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #31
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220

Oddometer: 438
Update

My forms and check were returned because I forgot to put in my DOB on the form . They also wanted 7 more dollars than what I sent them as it seems NADA low value is $130 more that what I paid for the bike which is what I used to calculate the 6% sales and use tax. I put it in the mail today so hopefully I get it back next week. I will now have missed the first 3 enduros of the seson because of taking too long to get off my ass and get it done.

I just had a PA notary do my vin check for the form and it seems that is OK with the VT DMV.

Butch
Rcrx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #32
CallMeBuzz
Bad as can

Oddometer: 545
Well, I'm not dead in the water just yet. Seems Vt DMV is willing to work with me. I need a letter from the dealer which fortunately for me it's in VT, that states the CO has been lost and there's no way to get another. Then I'll have to do a bonded title. Sucks but I hope it works out.
CallMeBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #33
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,394
Good luck getting an out of state registered bike insured. If you ever get stopped have fun explaining to a cop why your license is from one state and the bikes is registered in another.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #34
CallMeBuzz
Bad as can

Oddometer: 545
I hear ya. The whole thing is kinda poky. The bike is already insured, not sure how one effects the other. Ultimately I'm just trying to get this bike titled. Once that happens I have no problem getting it inspected and registered in Ct.
CallMeBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #35
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala
Good luck getting an out of state registered bike insured. If you ever get stopped have fun explaining to a cop why your license is from one state and the bikes is registered in another.
You can get Insurance in VT easy enough and when the cop asks whats up, tell him your in laws have a camp in Vermont and you usually leave it there but needed to bring it home for some repairs. Anyway, once you have the VT title, register it in your home state and be done with it
Old 03-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #36
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
You can get Insurance in VT easy enough and when the cop asks whats up, tell him your in laws have a camp in Vermont and you usually leave it there but needed to bring it home for some repairs.

I had the Vt plate for enduros (for years) but could never get insurance. Any Vt agent I contacted would not cover me saying they wouldnt cover an out of state person for a vt registration without an address in Vt. In MAss it was similar with no one willing to touch a Vt plated vehicle registered to a MAss licensed driver. I have since cracked the code and was able to street register and insure a KDX here in MAss.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #37
ThereisnoSpoon
High Enough

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
I had the Vt plate for enduros (for years) but could never get insurance. Any Vt agent I contacted would not cover me saying they wouldnt cover an out of state person for a vt registration without an address in Vt. In MAss it was similar with no one willing to touch a Vt plated vehicle registered to a MAss licensed driver. I have since cracked the code and was able to street register and insure a KDX here in MAss.
?

My bikes are insured by their VIN #'s. The bike is insured not the plate. Maybe it's a NY thing where you need insurance to register the bike, but I also have a bike with a VT plate with the same company. I'm covered in ALL states. I did it over the phone, they never asked what color plate I'm putting on it.
ThereisnoSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #38
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Well, not sure what to tell you, but A buddy did it a month ago with no problem.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #39
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereisnoSpoon
?

My bikes are insured by their VIN #'s. The bike is insured not the plate. Maybe it's a NY thing where you need insurance to register the bike, but I also have a bike with a VT plate with the same company. I'm covered in ALL states. I did it over the phone, they never asked what color plate I'm putting on it.
Same here, no one ever asked where the bike was registered, as long as someone is paying the bill I am sure they dont care.

I was also told not to get caught riding a bike with VT tags with my PA drivers license in PA. That if I was caught they would take the bike and it would be an $800 fine. I should have asked which specific law they were refering to. If I do get asked why by a cop I guess stating the obvious of "Becase PA wouldnt register it" is going to get me in trouble but lets face it, thats the truth and since I dont have a title I am sure they wont let me "transfer" the tag to PA, but is that really my fault? Other states will issue a new title if it doesnt come back as reported stolen right? If I take it to VT and get a VT title for it will PA not accept that either since it is from another state?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #40
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcrx21
Same here, no one ever asked where the bike was registered, as long as someone is paying the bill I am sure they dont care.

I was also told not to get caught riding a bike with VT tags with my PA drivers license in PA. That if I was caught they would take the bike and it would be an $800 fine. I should have asked which specific law they were refering to. If I do get asked why by a cop I guess stating the obvious of "Becase PA wouldnt register it" is going to get me in trouble but lets face it, thats the truth and since I dont have a title I am sure they wont let me "transfer" the tag to PA, but is that really my fault? Other states will issue a new title if it doesnt come back as reported stolen right? If I take it to VT and get a VT title for it will PA not accept that either since it is from another state?

PA is pretty strict but I find it really hard to believe that being the case.

We had a car registered in Hawaii because NYS was too stupid to accept an electronic title. I got pulled over in a road block one day and the cop just checked to make sure the paperwork was up to date. Inspection was expired but they couldn't give a ticket for a Hawaiian inspection.

Both my car and bike insurance companies could care less where the car is registered,,, all they want to know is where the vehicle will be kept and used.

I think the biggest issue is that the state you live/use the vehicle in is losing the tax money and I can see the tax department making stink if this starts happening too much.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #41
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,275
LOVErmont

Thanks to everyone who posted to this thread! I think I clicked it because I had just suffered hours of misery at the RI DMV and thought this might be a thread to commiserate with. Boy was I wrong!

Because of the excellent advice, I mailed in two registrations to the VT DMV; one for a 1966, the other for a 1970 Honda CT90 that I had picked up last year. No title, no old registrations. Little Rhody will let you register a bike if you have at least an old registration. I wanted to plate both these silly little bikes so the b/f and I could head to the Pine Barrens and be stupid. I filled in Form TA-VD-119 for each bike, and sent a check for $73.25; $41 for a one-year registration, $30 for sales tax (I didn't want it kicked back so I paid what I thought was fair), and $2.25 for mailing costs. I mailed the forms on a Monday. The following Monday, two checks cleared, and one plate was on the mat, slipped through the mail slot in my front door. Two days (and a 500-year flood) later, the plate arrived for my bike.

Both plates have orange T stickers for the expiration date. I have 60 days to get the VIN check done. But...now I can register the bikes in Little Rhody so I don't have to bother with the VIN check.

So thank you friends! Nothing like 90ccs of idiot bike between your legs!

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #42
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220

Shot down in flames

Vermont shot me down again. Now they are saying that I have to have the vin verified by a Vermont inspection station to prove that it is road worthy by Vermont standards.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Butch
Old 03-31-2010, 05:09 PM   #43
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,275
rcrx, what are you trying to register? Age? CCs?

I just did two over 15 year old, under 300ccs, and got plates and paperwork so I now register here in RI. Is your bike newer than 15 years?
lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #44
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita
rcrx, what are you trying to register? Age? CCs?
I just did two over 15 year old, under 300ccs, and got plates and paperwork so I now register here in RI. Is your bike newer than 15 years?
2002 Kawasaki KDX220 with no title and no previous registration. Unfortunately the KDX's in the US are not street legal but after reading the VT DMV regulations for motorcycles the only thing it needs that mine doesnt have is a mirror ( I installed the brake light switch and dual filament bulb).

Butch
Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #45
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcrx21
Vermont shot me down again. Now they are saying that I have to have the vin verified by a Vermont inspection station to prove that it is road worthy by Vermont standards.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Butch
Hmmmm, pretty sure I said that earlier in the thread. I guess I wasn't talking loud enough. Registering another bike for a guy this week, so maybe I should document the process in pictures