ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #46
V8 OP
Nightrider

Oddometer: 9,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita
Thanks to everyone who posted to this thread! I think I clicked it because I had just suffered hours of misery at the RI DMV and thought this might be a thread to commiserate with. Boy was I wrong!

Because of the excellent advice, I mailed in two registrations to the VT DMV; one for a 1966, the other for a 1970 Honda CT90 that I had picked up last year. No title, no old registrations. Little Rhody will let you register a bike if you have at least an old registration. I wanted to plate both these silly little bikes so the b/f and I could head to the Pine Barrens and be stupid. I filled in Form TA-VD-119 for each bike, and sent a check for $73.25; $41 for a one-year registration, $30 for sales tax (I didn't want it kicked back so I paid what I thought was fair), and $2.25 for mailing costs. I mailed the forms on a Monday. The following Monday, two checks cleared, and one plate was on the mat, slipped through the mail slot in my front door. Two days (and a 500-year flood) later, the plate arrived for my bike.

Both plates have orange T stickers for the expiration date. I have 60 days to get the VIN check done. But...now I can register the bikes in Little Rhody so I don't have to bother with the VIN check.

So thank you friends! Nothing like 90ccs of idiot bike between your legs!

Great, I'm glad my question is helping other inmates get bikes registered.How is the SM treating you lilolita? I have put about 100 miles on mine so far,great bike.From Thursday thru Sunday I hope to put a few hundred more miles on.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #47
ThereisnoSpoon
High Enough

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Hmmmm, pretty sure I said that earlier in the thread. I guess I wasn't talking loud enough. Registering another bike for a guy this week, so maybe I should document the process in pictures
This:

If you have an off road only title, you'll need to install all the lighting and have it inspected for road worthiness before DMV will register it.

Not true. I can tell you stories of cluelessness (on both sides of the counter) at the DMV that would astound you. I can even point the finger at people in person in a couple of weeks.

This is so easy it's pathetic, but I want to see the pics anyway.
ThereisnoSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #48
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereisnoSpoon
This:

If you have an off road only title, you'll need to install all the lighting and have it inspected for road worthiness before DMV will register it.

Not true. I can tell you stories of cluelessness (on both sides of the counter) at the DMV that would astound you. I can even point the finger at people in person in a couple of weeks.

This is so easy it's pathetic, but I want to see the pics anyway.
I think it its a russian roulette thing, sometines the gun goes off, some times it doesn't. I am sure it all depends on the person doing the paper work that day and what mood they are in.

Yes, crankshafts way is the fool proof way to make sure it goes as planned but with all of the inconsistencies we here about it was worth a shot.
I will give it another go if I can get a friend in the PA sherriff's dept to fill out the vin check form or maybe I will just have to take a long weekend and go to VT for a visit!

That being said what changes need to be made to a stock KDX to make it legal in VT?
Rcrx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #49
ThereisnoSpoon
High Enough

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcrx21
I think it its a russian roulette thing, sometines the gun goes off, some times it doesn't. I am sure it all depends on the person doing the paper work that day and what mood they are in.

Yes, crankshafts way is the fool proof way to make sure it goes as planned but with all of the inconsistencies we here about it was worth a shot.
I will give it another go if I can get a friend in the PA sherriff's dept to fill out the vin check form or maybe I will just have to take a long weekend and go to VT for a visit!

That being said what changes need to be made to a stock KDX to make it legal in VT?
It's all in here - http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...ion_Manual.pdf

You can use these guys, they'll do it all for you - http://www.its-titles.com

You're under 300cc's so you're good to go!
ThereisnoSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #50
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by V84x4
Great, I'm glad my question is helping other inmates get bikes registered.How is the SM treating you lilolita? I have put about 100 miles on mine so far,great bike.From Thursday thru Sunday I hope to put a few hundred more miles on.
I'm loving the SM! Too much fun! I'm getting a new rear tire tomorrow if I can figure out how to get down to the shop as all the roads are closed, washed out, or gridlocked. Enjoy the sunny weather.

Rcrx21, I hope you can get the VIN verification in PA. I would use this form, or at least use it for the instructions. Note the bottom of the last page:
"Verifications done outside of Vermont must be accompanied by a letter of identification of the agent on official letterhead."

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...rification.pdf
lilolita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #51
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,252
Sorry to bump this again but in the interest of community knowledge, I received both registration stickers for the CT90s (good until last day of March 2011). I did not have to have a VIN check, which was my initial understanding of the VT DMV forms (older than 15 years, under 300ccs, street legal bikes).

So again, thank you Vermont. You've made me a very happy girl. If you see an idiot zipping around Providence on a red Trail with a plate from the Green Mountain state, give a wave!
lilolita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #52
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,755
A little info from a recent experience.... yesterday I went over to Bennington and registered a Blazer for a guy in Nevada. It was no problem and there were no questions asked as to whether the vehicle would be used in VT. The VIN verification was done by a Nevada State Trooper and was even on a Nevada form, not a problem. The only thing the clerk kept telling me was that the vehicle needs to have the safety inspection done within 15 days. When I asked what would happen after 15 days, like will the DMV pull the registration, she just said,,, "We are only told to inform you of the inspection!" I'm sure this would only be an issue if stopped in VT.

This was my second attempt to get it registered,,, the first time it was rejected because the sellers name on the BOS and title was different.

The BOS was for $500 which was the true amount he paid for the vehicle but the DMV didn't accept that. The clerk looked up the price in a copy of "Old Car Trader". I would have fought it but the guy needed the registration asap and I didn't want to raise flags that would have delayed the process.

Also just to show how lax it was.....
I was not a party to any of the ownership and was never asked for ID.
Title was from PA.
VIN verification was done in NV on NV paperwork.
The registration wil be sent to NV.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #53
joedirt5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
couple questions

I was looking for a little help from one of you guys that have done this before. I just picked up a husaberg 390 that says for offroad use only on the mso. In Ct this would be fairly costly and a pain in the ass to register for the street. I am considering the Vt reg. because I really only need a plate for enduros. I understand the paper work stuff with the odometer dis. statment, proof of insurance, mso, and reg. form. Do I need to get the inspection first? or do I get the plate and then inspect?( Headlight, taillight, mirror, horn is what you need?) Also do they need to do the vin check if you are the first name on the mso? Where do you guys recommend for the inspection? Can they do the vin check in Bennington? That seems to be a small branch. One more, should I try to mail this in and then get the inspection( if possible) or drive up there and hope for the best. Thanks for the help.
joedirt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #54
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

I can only tell you that the VIN inspection sort of depends on who you get at the window when you register the bike. I was able to get my friends truck through with a VIN verification done by a Nevada State Trooper. Others have said that they needed to get it done in VT. You can go to any police agency or even flag a cop down on the street to get it done. Safety Inspection,,,, if not taking the bike back to VT, I wouldn't bother.

Not sure about the MSO question.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #55
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,313
I'll let you know tomorrow.

The women at DMV told me on the phone,,if you have a Police officer from another state do the VIN check,it has to be a State Tropper of that state and he must use letter head from his division.

So i figured,i'd just stop at the local VT police station,and call ahead of course,and have them do it.

You want to take a ride Boat?

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #56
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm

The women at DMV told me on the phone,,if you have a Police officer from another state do the VIN check,it has to be a State Tropper of that state and he must use letter head from his division.

So i figured,i'd just stop at the local VT police station,and call ahead of course,and have them do it.

Like I said,,, depends on who you get at DMV..... the VIN check I had was done by a Nevada Trooper on a Vermont form...

I have a bunch of running around tomorrow, so I'll have to pass,,, stop by the shop on the way back. I may be there.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #57
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,313
Roger!

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #58
joedirt5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by awm

Thanks for the info. Let me know how you make out!
joedirt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #59
peterz84
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Great thread people!! One question: How do non-residents of VT provide a VT drivers license number that is required on the registration application??

Thanks
Pete
peterz84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #60
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterz84
Great thread people!! One question: How do non-residents of VT provide a VT drivers license number that is required on the registration application??

Thanks
Pete

Easy,,, they don't ask for it. You just give them your mailing address (in state or out of state).