ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2010, 04:49 AM   #61
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterz84
Great thread people!! One question: How do non-residents of VT provide a VT drivers license number that is required on the registration application??

Thanks
Pete

The guy at VT DMV,said i won't hold being from NY against you.
$41 dollors for the reg,,,cash please,no checks,cards or bull shit.

Its funny,,,,its $41 a year for bike reg in VT,,,and $14 in NY.But i still felt much better give'n VT my money.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:08 AM   #62
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
My Weber has a VT plate.
Of course it does: anyone who grills naked gets a VT plate!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #63
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
The guy at VT DMV,said i won't hold being from NY against you.
$41 dollors for the reg,,,cash please,no checks,cards or bull shit.

Its funny,,,,its $41 a year for bike reg in VT,,,and $14 in NY.But i still felt much better give'n VT my money.
$14 for us but if you live south of the Columbia county line it's another $25 for the MTA!

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #64
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 768
Still??

i thought i saw a post here somewhere that Vermont stopped issuing out of state titles a while back?????
can someone verify this???
Old 11-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #65
V8 OP
Nightrider

Oddometer: 9,046
Read this thread, ADVwannaB.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #66
V8 OP
Nightrider

Oddometer: 9,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB
i thought i saw a post here somewhere that Vermont stopped issuing out of state titles a while back?????
can someone verify this???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=41
Verified
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #67
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by V84x4
Yeah,,, that was last March.
Guess i'll just take a chance and see.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #68
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,394
How do you guys with Vt plates but live elsewhere get insurance for your bikes? I was unable to get insurance as no Vt insurance agent would insure me with a drivers license from another state and no address in Vt and no insurance company here would insure a bike registered in another state when I held a license from here. How did you do it?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #69
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,923
In NY the insurance agent doesn't ask you where the bike is going to be registered they only ask where it will be stored , or used mostly, I forgot which one. they will then issue you a card with your NY name and address and the vehicle year, make and vin#. As long as VT accepts the out of state address, which it appears they do since they take an out of state drivers license, There is no problem. the only legal aspect I see, again from a NY point of view, is that it is illegal to live in NY and have an out of state registration to a vehicle you own. Mind you its only a minor traffic violation and I think technically if I registered it it in my wifes name I couldn't get in trouble, my wife would have to be operating it to get in trouble. I guess once you get the VT title you could than switch it over to a NY reg and be 100% legal
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #70
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Haing a vehicle registered out of state is a bigger problem and fine here in MA. They actually have a program encouraging neighbors to dime you out (it was created for cars but bikes certainly apply). I was never able to crack through on the the insurance issue.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #71
trailertrash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
If you buy a bike from VT under 250 cc, if it doesn't have a title can you register it in Mass?
trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #72
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala
Haing a vehicle registered out of state is a bigger problem and fine here in MA. They actually have a program encouraging neighbors to dime you out (it was created for cars but bikes certainly apply). I was never able to crack through on the the insurance issue.
But you can afford to give cars to the homeless??? Sounds like somebody got their priorities mixed up
Old 11-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #73
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61
But you can afford to give cars to the homeless??? Sounds like somebody got their priorities mixed up
Indeed! An even better outrage came out last week with the story about the state providing Limos and Chauffeurs to drive the Heroin addicts to the methadone clinic in Boston.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2010/11/1...-clinic-rides/
Old 11-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #74
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Im beginning to love Mass more and more as it appears it is trying to beat out NY over being the most f'ed up state in the N East
Old 11-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #75
Climbnsink
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
my experience

I'm a big fan of 'flags of convenience' I have a vt plated drz110. I was living in vt when I bought and registered it. Dmv just wanted to see the sales receipt and not the title. No vin inspection but it was new and in state so no surprise. Did not need to get it compliance inspected to have it registered. I had let the registration lapse and moved to MA, recently I reregistered it by sending vt a check from here. Still had the plate got a new sticker. Also my truck has been registered in vt for the last couple of years living in mass. I use a large national insurance chain and they told me they don't care where my truck is registered, my wife has a mass registered car on the same policy. I have been stopped in my truck and lectured by the police for having a mass dl and out of state registration it is a 500 fine if they choose, truck is a beater so it is obvious I'm not escaping much in excise taxes. I do get an occassional letter from the insurance company asking for my plate #(they already have it) but the state re asks them for it as they get a record of an instate insured vehicle without a plate # that they can find. So far I've ignored the letter with no repurcussions(knock on wood.)
as for bike insurance some agencies can't/won't write dirt bikes as they aren't on the pop up order form. I would never advocate going without bike insurance, but cops in states like ma and ny where it is basically impossible to have a registered vehicle without insurance only check dl and registration during traffic stops.
There are advantages to being licensed and registered in states you don't live or drive in.
PS for the law sticklers understand none of these plated dirt bikes are 100 percent legal deal with it or only ride factory ds bikes.
Climbnsink is offline   Reply With Quote