ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #76
crudmop
eTard

Oddometer: 219
Insurance is done before registration - so on a new-to-you vehicle, you will have an insurance card before the vehicle has a title/reg in your name. Insurance doesn't care where it is registered (unless you are in an accident, of which you might have some explaining to do).

Most of this is moot - vehicles that are often causing this much issue to register shouldn't be registered anyway :) So the loophole jumping is merely an added step in already accepted outlaw activity :)

crudmop screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 06:54 PM
crudmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:52 AM   #77
tpirocz
i do what i want

Oddometer: 228
this is all really good info. i think i have it figuredout but could someone confirm for me?

Im in Ct, i want to register/plate/title a wr450 in Vt. I need to have my bill of sale, insurance paperwork and have the bike inspected for vin and lights/stuff at the Vt dmv?

If i get a Vt title i should then be able to register it in Ct?

I havent bought a bike yet, but if i buy one form Vt will it make this eaiser?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #78
V8 OP

Oddometer: 9,259
read from post #1. you will see what happens.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #79
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,469
Do you have to have a tilte to get the bike titled???? Vermont resident selling 05 CRF says bill of sale only... Can I plate it in Vermont with only a Vermont bill of sale??

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #80
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,587
I will attest to the current policies of DMV in CT. It depends on your Cirtificate of Origin.

I recently bought a new KTM 450 xcr-w. It is marketed and sold as a bike for closed circut / racing only. The C/O just says motorcycle. The base model doesn't even have a headlight or taillight - mine were added as options. I walked into DMV with my C/O, insurance, sale receipt and pre-printed registration application. 15 minutes later, I have a plate. No problem.

To my knowledge, ALL the Japanese bikes not sold as "dualsports" say "for offroad use only" on their C/Os. It's possible to register, but you'll need to go apply for a "composite registration" and get a full safety inspection.

So, if you want a full on dirtbike with a plate on it, the easiest way is to get a KTM. Not a bad option considering they're as good or better than anything else you can buy.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #81
A.J.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
I will attest to the current policies of DMV in CT. It depends on your Cirtificate of Origin.

I recently bought a new KTM 450 xcr-w. It is marketed and sold as a bike for closed circut / racing only. The C/O just says motorcycle. The base model doesn't even have a headlight or taillight - mine were added as options. I walked into DMV with my C/O, insurance, sale receipt and pre-printed registration application. 15 minutes later, I have a plate. No problem.

To my knowledge, ALL the Japanese bikes not sold as "dualsports" say "for offroad use only" on their C/Os. It's possible to register, but you'll need to go apply for a "composite registration" and get a full safety inspection.

So, if you want a full on dirtbike with a plate on it, the easiest way is to get a KTM. Not a bad option considering they're as good or better than anything else you can buy.
How about ktm 2-strokes?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #82
tpirocz
i do what i want

i just stopped at the yamaha dealer in hartford. they have a "baja kit" that includes them taking the bike to the dmv to be inspected. they were installing one on a bike while i was there. they said there is no problem getting them plated in ct...

now if only i could find my money...
Old 12-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #83
A.J.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpirocz View Post
i just stopped at the yamaha dealer in hartford. they have a "baja kit" that includes them taking the bike to the dmv to be inspected. they were installing one on a bike while i was there. they said there is no problem getting them plated in ct...

now if only i could find my money...
Ugh, new England cycle sucks, imo, how much extra do they hit you up for the baja kit?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #84
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
How about ktm 2-strokes?
Not a problem. A guy I know has an '08 300 smoker plated. Sweet bike too, electric start and all.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #85
tpirocz
i do what i want

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Ugh, new England cycle sucks, imo, how much extra do they hit you up for the baja kit?
too much im sure... i wasnt buying so i didnt ask. i was in the area and wanted to see what they had to say. but its good to know if they can get one inspected/plated i can too
Old 12-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #86
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
Anybody from NY win yet?

So....has anybody from NY successfully registered a bike in VT or attempted to yet?? If so, god damn how!!!

This is an awful attempt to sum up this thread for New Yorkers, let me try to get how simple it could potentially be:

1: either take a picture of the vin, have a NY police officer verify the vin on official letterhead, or have a Vermont police officer verify the vin (how does one get a police officer to do that anyway???).

then

2: either mail in some documents, probably bill of sale and anything else mentioned on the VT DMV website, or go to DMV in VT with said documents

3: pay the fee/taxes.

4: I receive VT plates and drive home??

Where does the inspection come in? From my experience on progressive.com I can just insure what I tell them to

Could I not but the plates and inspection from my strom and ride to vermont ??
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #87
V8 OP

Oddometer: 9,259
read through this thread DEvo, Then see the smiling young lady holding the VT plates in R.I. Yes, this works, you must read and learn Grasshopper.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #88
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,186
Not a bike but I registered a truck for a friend of mine that lives in Nevada this summer. He had a cop in Nevada run the VIN and fill out a verification form. I took that, his title, copy of his Nevada drivers license and the filled out forms to the Bennington DMV and in 15 minutes I was at the PO sending plates to him.

The inspection,,,, they will tell you that you have X number of days to get it inspected. It's a safety inspection just like NY. Unless you plan on spending a bit of time in VT with the vehicle, I wouldn't worry about it.

Come to think of it,,,, I didn't get any of my bikes inspected (NY) this year.

Here is the verification form....

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...rification.pdf

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #89
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Which office / address should i mail my application too???

Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #90
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

You should mail it to the Montpelier office if you mail it to the other ones they just turn around and mail it to them anyway....