ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #91
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,420
Hey thanks Ken! I really appreciate the feedback. You seem like a really great guy.

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #92
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Anytime buddy! Thats how I roll

Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #93
V8 OP

Oddometer: 9,243
kenny61, you have officially just lost it.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #94
dirtybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
xr250

OK, at the risk of getting told to read the thread again....
I have a 1999 Honda XR250R. I purchased it in 2001. It is registered in NYS as an off road only (ATV).
I tried a few years ago to register it in VT. The DMV person did not understand why I wanted to register the bike in VT. I gave up.
Now I find this thread.
Since the bike is registered in my name in NY, can I also register it in VT? It is also registered as off road only in MA, for Berkshires riding. With the proper equipment, will VT register me as street legal?
Being under 300cc, I would get only a registration. Can I transfer this back to NY as street legal?
Or am I way overdue to sell the Honda and buy something that is already street legal?
dirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #95
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Go here http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...structions.pdf read page 2.

Either call the Montpelier office on page one and ask them if your current registration is sufficient to show ownership, tax paid and vin verification or sell it to a friend and then have them sell it back to you and have them fill out the VT bill of sale. Then go to your local PD and ask them to write a letter on their letterhead saying they inspected the xr250 owned by you and the vin# on the bike is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mail forms into Montpelier office along with a check for $41 + whatever the tax will be.....

While waiting for plates to arrive re read this thread......

I have no idea about then registering it in NY as street legal. I think you may have a problem as the bike is in the system as off road... I think for the $100 Im going to plate my kids XR100 in VT and then see if I can take that registration and plate it in NY, that way I wont contaminate a VIN# for something I plan on keeping street registered

Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #96
V8 OP

Oddometer: 9,243
Ken, your helpful,I guess that's just the way you roll.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #97
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Damn Tootin!!! I'm a very serious person

Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #98
dirtybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Xr250

Thanks for the link and advice.

I'll be interested to find out how you do with the XR100 when you try to convert to NY registration. I have to wonder how the local law enforcement will react if I get stopped with a VT registration and a NY license & address. It would be nice to get the bike as legal as possible.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #99
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Anytime buddy! Thats how I roll

Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #100
Climbnsink
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
VT will register your bike to a NY address they don't care. It is probably a ticket in NY to operate a vehicle in your name registered out of state. In MA it's supposedly a 500 dollar fine, but then MA has an excise tax and they don't want folks missing out on that, even though it would be chump change for an old dual sport. If you register the bike to a family member that never rides it, you are covered as you are of course allowed to ride someone else's motorcycle registered wherever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybike View Post

I'll be interested to find out how you do with the XR100 when you try to convert to NY registration. I have to wonder how the local law enforcement will react if I get stopped with a VT registration and a NY license & address. It would be nice to get the bike as legal as possible.
Climbnsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #101
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybike View Post

I have to wonder how the local law enforcement will react if I get stopped with a VT registration and a NY license & address.

Its going to depend on the cop ...

Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #102
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,362
The idea with using VT as a state to register your bike is to then convert that registration to the state you live in. Not ride around with VT plates while you live in a different state.

I got the CT 90s registered in VT and not in RI because I didn't have titles or old registrations which is required in RI. Once I got both of them registered in VT, I can then convert them to RI registrations (which I'll do in March when the VT registrations expire). I only waited to switch them over because the RI DMV is the absolute worst hellhole on the entire planet. It makes a jailed American in Iran happy they're in Iran.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #103
dirtybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Xr250r

Quote:
The idea with using VT as a state to register your bike is to then convert that registration to the state you live in. Not ride around with VT plates while you live in a different state.

I got the CT 90s registered in VT and not in RI because I didn't have titles or old registrations which is required in RI. Once I got both of them registered in VT, I can then convert them to RI registrations (which I'll do in March when the VT registrations expire). I only waited to switch them over because the RI DMV is the absolute worst hellhole on the entire planet. It makes a jailed American in Iran happy they're in Iran.
I believe that we have a different purpose. I think that the Honda CT was originally street legal. You needed to establish ownership. Once you have proof of ownership, you should be able to register the bike as street legal.

I have proof of ownership. The XR250R was not designed to be street legal. NY stopped allowing conversions from off road to street legal in 1999. My purpose is to register the bike as street legal in VT, then try to convert the registration to NY as street legal. It may not be possible since the DMV can tell by the VIN that the bike is not intended for highway use. I may get around to it sooner or later. Or I may wait for Mr. 61 to roll an update on his XR100. Or I may sell it and buy a DP bike.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #104
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Mr 61 will probably be waiting a little while to try the XR100 as my plate is kinda full right now

Old 01-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #105
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,167
A word on transferring to NYS. I bought my 525XC from a guy that had it titled and plated in NC. I went to the NYSDMV and in a few minutes left with a plate and registration. A couple weeks later I received a letter from the title bureau stating they were giving me 30 days to turn in the plate because the VIN showed that it was not a street legal bike. I called the title bureau and actually got a sympathetic woman on the phone. The problem I was facing is that they already destroyed the NC title and now if NY didn't give me a title I was going to be in a pickle getting titled anywhere else. After chatting with the woman on a couple occasions and explaining the bike and the value of the bike without the title she said to call her back in a couple days and she would help the best she could. When I called back she said she figured out how to issue a legal title and I would have it in a few days. I did come and I don't know if its a typo, but the model shows as a 525X"Z"

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote