User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,453
RotoPax on R1200GS

Here's the 1/4" Aluminum Plate, powder coated black that replaces the passenger seat. (6) 5MM 1 1/2" screws needed to accommodate new thickness.
I designed the plate to follow the contour of the rider seat...and leave the 'rear' attachment point for the passenger seat for future possible use. Note that the other (6) tie down slots on the passenger base remain available for continued use.

NOTE: More pictures below!

Photobucket

I wanted 4 Gallons of extra capacity so I got (2) 2 Gallon RotoPax, along with the required Extension, "L" mounting bracket and the LOCKING version of the handle.

When mounted...there's still a need for some additional support at the front of the second mounted 'pax' so I designed a 'support bar' to provide such support.
This picture shows the "L" bracket mounted toward the rear of the bike...wouldn't want to have the 'pax' the first thing that's encountered should someone/somebody inadvertently decide to introduce themselves to my bike in an abrupt manner. Read as 'rear end me'.

Also mounted a thin rubber gasket between the 8 gauge STEEL "L" bracket and the 1/4" ALUMINUM plate to prevent any 'metallic interaction' otherwise known as corrosion.
Found the 6" x 6" x 1/16" gasket material at Lowe's. It's in the plumbing aisle. Called PACKING SHEETS. Cost: 98 cents.
Made by Plumb Pak: Item #25548, Lowe's Item No: 046224255468
URL TO PLUMB PAK'S 2006 CATALOG: http://www.keeneymfg.com/catalogs/PPCat2006.pdf (GO TO PAGE 153...BOTTOM OF PAGE

Photobucket

And, finally completed project.
Please note that 'fillers' on pax are on the OPPOSITE side from the muffler...minimizing ignition possibility.
Also...have called Jason at RotoPax and swapped Pax with VENTS at the BOTTOM for VENTLESS paxs.
Be sure to get the VENTLESS versions if you plan on mounting the pax HORIZONTALLY.
I was concerned that the VENT'ed versions might leak...being on the bottom...that might be a problem.

Photobucket

Another beauty shot of completed project:
Photobucket

The mounted pax still leave 8 1/2" between pax and rider seat...room enough for a big NORTHFACE duffel which arrives tomorrow.

Photobucket
Now...off to Prudhoe Bay this June, 2010!

Auxiliary Fuel Tank, Tour Tank,

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 06-27-2010 at 10:33 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
The AOL links don't work - they ask you to be logged in.... can I have your user ID and Password? Just kidding - please don't post them!

Perhaps I'll get to see this in person this summer when I do my 2nd attempt at Prudhoe.

EDIT: The changes you did work great now!

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks

hasenwerk screwed with this post 03-04-2010 at 02:15 PM
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,874
Photobucket is free. Once you've got the images there, they give a set of address to them - copy the one that says "direct link", then here in the reply to thread window find the little yellow icon with the mts in it, then paste in that direct link address.

If you are tooooo popular, you'll exceed the free bandwidth - but its worth a try, and I haven't posted anything that's pushed the limits yet.

Get'er done! I wanna see these pics since I want to do something similar!

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Picture 'stuff' all 'sorted'...as they say in Australia.

Thanks for your help with getting them from my computer to AdvRider!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
That's a nice set up. I plan on going that route as well.
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
The setup looks nice, but my concern would be 20kg of weight that is now sitting quite high up on the bike.

Would you not be better off putting the can on your panniers to put the weight down lower?

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenwerk
The setup looks nice, but my concern would be 20kg of weight that is now sitting quite high up on the bike.

Would you not be better off putting the can on your panniers to put the weight down lower?
That was my thought...keep the weight low and in the middle
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

I thought long and hard about where to place these. Have seen others place them LOW (back/side of panniers) to keep the CG down. My concern about LOW is contact from others (cars, trucks) from back or the side. Not to mention contact with terra firma due to unknown and unlimited number of possibilities. Total filled weight is about 34 lbs.

My solution is HIGHER but is still on the centerline and the "L" bracket that's provided is 8 gauge and is ROCK SOLID. And, with a roll duffel immediately in front of (good backrest, as well)...I'm not too concerned about the wind resistance either.

Practically speaking...LOWer and Centerline are good observations...but there's no perfect solution.

Thanks for your comments.

Update: March 10, 2010
The Northface Duffel and the VENTLESS versions of the pax arrived today. And, based on other rider's comments above, I've decided to store the EMPTY PAX in my duffel until such time as I will need them (probably for the Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay segment). They lay flat and the duffel accommodates both of them just fine. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the 1 PAX in use...1 PAX stored tomorrow.

In case I can't remember WHERE I'm going...just look BEHIND you!!!
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Photobucket

And...here's the 2nd RotoPax stored empty within the Northface 15 x 15 x 28 duffel. Will only attached to "L" bracket and FILL when I'm in Fairbanks headed north to PHBay. 5.3 + 4.0 = 9.3 * 50 MPG = 465 mile range...well enough for the 421 miles from Fairbanks to PHBay.
Photobucket

Headed to PHBay...mid May!
Photobucket

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 03-25-2010 at 03:36 PM
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Fudmucker
ex-lurker

Oddometer: 268
Food for thought...

Good looking solution, LPOL!

Could the vents on the Rotopax be used as fuel line attachments?
That would mean that you keep them fixed in place and a valve+fuel line arrangement feeds the fuel to the main tank so you don't have to take them off to transfer the fuel?

I commute daily with the OEM top-box bolted in place for secure storage reasons. The solution you found makes me think of using two brackets to mount a Rotopax fore-and-aft on either side of the top-box...?
Fudmucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

RotoPax Vent Lines?

You should talk to Jason at RotoPax about using the bottom oriented VENT ... in the original pictures I posted...as a feed line. I chose to go with the VENTLESS versions (sorry...the VENTLESS versions don't show up in these photos).

I'd just be careful about exposing a 'pax' on the back of your top case. Rear end collision might ruin your day. I have the sleeping bag, tent and STEEL "L" bracket BEFORE the pax.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
waddyp
Quite Content

Oddometer: 474
Did my 13.4k mile 'long way round' trip Michigan to Prudhoe Bay and back carrying 1.25 gal. spare gas on my 12GS (not Adv). Needed it once.... in desert of Nevada. If I'd been paying attention, I could have avoided that necessity. Carried the spare gas bungied to front of my duffel, used it as a back rest. I'll carry it again on next trip to AK.
waddyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

RotoPax INSIDE 35L Caribou Case

And...in case you want ANOTHER CONFIGURATION for installing (2) 2 Gallon RotoPax???...how about INSIDE a 35 L Caribou Case.
Even LOWER center of gravity and another level of protection inside of a durable vented Caribou Case!

Photobucket

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 08-13-2010 at 06:57 PM
Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
Kevreif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
just a thought on those 6 M5 bolts holding the OP rack. they are only threaded into a small clip that is held in place by plastic. doesn't take much to ruin those.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #14
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,262
Nice work! Better than I could ever hope to do.

Just a thought: instead of having the fuel up there, wouldn't an Adventure tank have been a better solution? Probably way more expensive, but still...
Old 08-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #15
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,874
Something a bit different

After looking at everyone's setups and thinking about things - and packing to ride two-up with full camp gear - I decided to go for a front mount.

I went with the basic RotoPax mount and a backing plate, and filled the gap with a disc of HDPE plastic grooved to fit over the crashbar intersection:

After completing our 3 week/4000 mile trip, I can tell you this worked well. Putting this weight on the front end helped with load balance notably. On our way home we didn't need the extra water, so I let them run dry. Noted the handling wasn't as good - so I filled them back up! We also had a Polar Bear soft cooler on top of the left side case with another gallon of water cold for getting thru AZ and UT where we were also using evap cooling vests.

With packs mounted:

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote