User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Willie B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Pure Gas

A friend who has a '04 1150 GS and myself riding my '09 1200 GS filled our bikes with ethanol free gasoline today and rode approximately 140 miles. I immediately noticed my bike not popping on decal and the throttle response was much better. It also seemed to smooth up the rough idle. I can't believe how pump gas makes the bike run so crappy. Wow! Has anyone else tried straight non ethanol gasoline in their bike?
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
There are fewer ethanol-free gas stations in California than there were California Condors in the wild when they rounded them up in the 80's
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 942
Listed by state :

http://www.pure-gas.org/station?station_id=4903

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Willie B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I went to the distributor and conned them into letting us fill up. I'm heading back later in the week with numerous dump cans in tow. They have a 300 gallon minimum, but would make an exception if I bought 50 gallons at a time.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
jimbeauxk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I work at a refinery and only use clear gas in my GSA. But I still have a healthy popping on deceleration, I don't think your conclusion is completely justified.
jimbeauxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeauxk View Post
I work at a refinery and only use clear gas in my GSA. But I still have a healthy popping on deceleration, I don't think your conclusion is completely justified.
Not what you could call a double blind test. They filled with the expectation of a difference. Perception is reality
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
We found that last summer in Mexico. Pemex is really good fuel. I was getting fuel economy in the high 40's on my 01 GS at above 90 mph speeds. In the US I might get in the high 30's at similar speeds and load. Guatemala, Honduras, and Belize were a different matter for fuel though. Lots of pinging even on premium. It went away on the first tank of Pemex.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #8
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post

Interesting link. In Canada I just go to a Shell station located all over the country. No ethanol when you fill with premium.

I'm planning a cross US trip to the west coast this July. Is there a national chain of service stations, like Shell in Canada, that supply ethanol free gas so I don't have to hunt down one with a computer while going cross country? Thanks for any info!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeauxk View Post
I'm with you, popping equals unburned fuel in the exhaust (why is it there?) plus unconsumed oxygen (how did it get there?). Sounds like deceleration misfire leading to unburned fuel in the exhaust system. Maybe he can figure that out.

Perhaps pure-gas isn't popping because it lack ethanol as an oxygenate. I know popping is not uncommon but misfires, even on decel, can add a lot of heat to the catalytic converter and cause damage.

If you decelerate at part throttle, the ECU does go open loop and lean out the mixture--too lean to combust? Aftermarket exhaust allowing air reversion into the system?
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #10
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,153
No national chain that I'm aware of. I've been using pure gas for about 6k now, bring it home in 5 gal. containers. Pain in the rear but moto likes it. When on the road I carry a list of the states I'm riding in. Nor cal has a couple/will try one of them next week.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
You can click on the "POI file" link (at pure-gas.org) and download a csv file to which you can insert (those points of interest) into your GPS; that shows all of the ethanol free gas stations listed in their web site on your GPS.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
On another bike I had the popping on decel was caused by something called a PAIR valve - some sort of EPA-mandated thing. Aftermarket vendors sold PAIR blockoff plates which you could use to plug the resulting hole when you pulled off the PAIR valves (one per head).

Once I got rid of the PAIR valves the popping was gone.

Anyone know if the GS has these?
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
sk8rdi16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
You can click on the "POI file" link (at pure-gas.org) and download a csv file to which you can insert (those points of interest) into your GPS; that shows all of the ethanol free gas stations listed in their web site on your GPS.
They've also got a handy iPhone app I've been using for a while.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Willie B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I spoke with a buddy of mine who owns the local Ducati franchise about his thoughts of running the pure gas and the popping on decal. His assertion was the straight gas may be burning quicker and having less raw gasoline entering the exhaust stream. In my previous post, I wasn't talking about partial throttle chop, but complete throttle closure on deceleration. Considering I have several Ducatis and their expanding tank issue is supposed to be caused by ethanol, I'm going to start buying several dump cans at a time and keep around.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
RomaDakota
Illuminatus

Oddometer: 1,345
Although I have ethanol free close by, I have several boat fuel tanks I fill occasionally. Quick connects, some hose, old computer power supply and an electric fuel pump, I have a mini fuel farm for my motos.