User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #136
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Thumb New used motor

Hay Jay I had problems with my 05 klr 35k timing chain slip bent intake valves and need another head but another motor 07 under 4k miles $1150. got me on the road faster.

Good luck and have fun when you get to Oaxaca, Puerto Escondido the Garden of Eden campground is at Zicitella beach.

tomzap.com

Captain Tom
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #137
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,525
Wink

sanDRina rides again! Engine transplant was successful. Fired up on first try. Took about 7 hrs this evening in Mike (mfed)'s garage to remove old motor from my bike, remove motor from Shridhar's bike and put new motor into my bike and fire it up. No mistakes along the way and everything went smooth

Thanx a ton Mike. Good wrenching with ya. And now you got some engine removal and installs under your belt :) and many thanx to Shridhar for being so helpful with the donor motor.

Going for test ride Tuesday and then hopefully hit the road Wed. Can't wait to get going again.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos

Jammin screwed with this post 04-09-2010 at 11:34 PM
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #138
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,056
[quote=Jammin]sanDRina rides again! Engine transplant was successful. [quote]

Very warming to hear! To those who helped you out...
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #139
craftycoder
Android GPS Software

Oddometer: 2,168
Thumb Get riding!

craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #140
slackline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Thumb

Yea! Read your CD RR and Alaska, so excited for this one to continue.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #141
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,145
New Bike Title?

Great to see you are mobile again and with a great attitude

Just a heads up:

It might not apply to US Titles because I don't know if the engine serial number is printed on them or not, but since in some Latin American countries, the Engine Serial # and VIN # are on the title, I've had some border authorities check not only the VIN # but the engine # also (Bolivia authorities in Chile-Bolivia Border and Colombian-Venezuelan authorities, there might be more).

So, just in case you do have the engine serial # on your bike title, be sure to get a new title before you leave the US.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #142
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla.

Just a heads up:

It might not apply to US Titles because I don't know if the engine serial number is printed on them or not, but since in some Latin American countries, the Engine Serial # and VIN # are on the title, I've had some border authorities check not only the VIN # but the engine # also (Bolivia authorities in Chile-Bolivia Border and Colombian-Venezuelan authorities, there might be more).

So, just in case you do have the engine serial # on your bike title, be sure to get a new title before you leave the US.

Excellent Point.

Not sure if Illinois is the same, but in California, the registration/title does have the engine number on it.

You might have to swap out the left side case as it could be quicker than getting the DMV to change the numbers on the title.
IBA #33096
WOXOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #143
igorshen
gypsy soul

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla.

Just a heads up:

Yes, I had Colombian and Ecuadorian customs guys look at the motor number too.

good luck
igorshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #144
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
subscribed. This already sounds like quite an adventure.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #145
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,008
Good luck will the rest of you travels, and as they say in the Philippines,
"Have a Happy Trip".
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #146
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,525
Test ride went well today, but not idling smoothly. Some more fine tuning needed in the carb. My flat slide carb that came with the bike is a non-standard application and setting it up is a bit iffy, but I know once set up properly, it'll run good. Going to have bike shop Werkstatt look at it tomorrow. Sounds like it's running rich, and can't get fuel mixture screw set right for it to idle. Dies below 1800 rpm and it used to idle nicely at 1500. Going to check valves in the morning, crankcase breather hose, fuel lines, carb mating to air box. Anything else? If none of that gets it idling nicely, then off to Werkstatt.

My carb is a TM38 non pumper and only has one adjustable screw on it and I think air/fuel mixture. No other idle screw.

And thx for title info. I checked and my Illinois title doesn't have engine number on it.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos

Jammin screwed with this post 10-27-2010 at 02:03 PM
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #147
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
Test ride went well today, but not idling smoothly. Some more fine tuning needed in the carb. My flat slide carb that came with the bike is a non-standard application and setting it up is a bit iffy, but I know once set up properly, it'll run good. Going to have bike shop Werkstatt look at it tomorrow. Sounds like it's running rich, and can't get fuel mixture screw set right for it to idle. Dies below 1800 rpm and it used to idle nicely at 1500. Going to check valves in the morning, crankcase breather hose, fuel lines, carb mating to air box. Anything else? If none of that gets it idling nicely, then off to Werkstatt.

My carb is a TM40 non pumper and only has one adjustable screw on it and I think air/fuel mixture. No other idle screw.

And thx for title info. I checked and my Illinois title doesn't have engine number on it.
This is all good. If I recall, you're old engine was bored out and used a different piston? right? Possibly higher compression?

Those changes mean the new motor could be running a bit different than before. (with stock carb)

If no idle adjust on that carb (funny, I was thinking the Mikuni TM40 WAS a Pumper carb?) then maybe you just need to adjust idle using the throttle cables? First, I would use the Fuel/Air screw to get fastest idle, then adjust throttle cables to set idle speed.

If still rough then you may have a clogged pilot jet or air leak. Sounds like you're on the right track and its good you're checking all the things you've listed. I have every confidence you will solve this. If not then Jennifer can have a go!

Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #148
LXIV-Dragon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Air Box Mod

Hi Jay,

Good to see you back in action.

A few pages ago you asked about water in the air box. The PO of my DR had removed the side cover of my air box.....worked just great until I hit water. Knee deep and the thing just kept drinking it. We were out a for a long weekend.

I made a temp side cover but water still got in. I just stopped every mile or so and drained it. Do this often enough and there is no drama. Almost thought that a tap would have been useful (a la fuel tap) at the base of the air box instead of the clear plug.

Since then I have replace the side cover and done the top air box mod (I did the GSXR mod as you have). No dramas since but have not been in deep water really.......

Best of Luck,

'07 Suzuki DR650SE - '06 - '03 Ducati 999 '13 Husqvarna TE449
2011 TAT; No Reservations
LXIV-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #149
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Thumb Hay Jay

Make maintenance log book note about the year of the used motor # and date, miles on motor, paid in full papers from prior owner....
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #150
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXIV-Dragon
Hi Jay,
Good to see you back in action.

A few pages ago you asked about water in the air box. The PO of my DR had removed the side cover of my air box.....worked just great until I hit water. Knee deep and the thing just kept drinking it. We were out a for a long weekend.
Best of Luck,
Peter,
The danger with water in the air box is that it can drain out through the crankcase breather hose (this is attached to air box) and FILL UP The Crank Case with water. Not good.

I mentioned before that I was not sure if the breather hose has a one way
anti-back flow valve in line or not. If not, it really needs one to keep water out of crankcase in the event of a tip over in deep water.

On a four stroke this is a major disaster. Water can get in through the carb too but it takes longer if engine is shut off IMMEDIATELY after you go under. If running, the engine will suck water right in through carb and then will migrate into crank case.

Read Colebatch's ride report called The BAM road.

A one way valve will let the crankcase pressure breath into air box but will not let anything go the other way.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote