Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 939
Don't give up Jay, I bet you'll make it through this one too
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #1487
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,396
fingers crossed you figure out what the problem is.... maybe post up in the DR thread, you should get a bunch of good suggestions in no time.

EDIT: nevermind, you already did
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #1488
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
You're a smart dude Jay. Meditate. Have you investigated the ancillary electronic setup related to your solar panel and/or lighting system?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #1489
mathewsturtevant
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
Perspective.

Every time I am suffering it is because I am worried about what my imagination has decided is the next calamity. If you "Threw in the Towel" you are not failing anything, you may just be preventing putting yourself in a dangerous situation. You have accomplished so much more than most people would ever dream of doing. Maybe your journey has this twist because you will meet Mrs. Jay in Nairobi. Maybe you will help someone who you would have never met if your bike was working fine. Maybe this journey is over and something better is coming that you can't even imagine.
You are a very positive person, so I know you will find your way. Of course it is very frustrating to be in this position. Looking back a year from now it might not seem as bad. Best wishes Jay!
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #1490
BearII
No, it's not complicated

Oddometer: 224
Been there, done that bit about the towel. We can all tell you'll figure out a solution though, you've done it time and again. I hope things get settled quickly for you!! Best of luck.

'13 BMW R1200GS ADV (triple black) - it doesn't get any better... just had to get another one!, '07 BMW R1200GS ADV - sold after 73,000 wonderful miles together
'13 Ford Raptor SVT - wow, what a truck!
BearII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #1491
Ganjora
class A bollockser

Oddometer: 145
hi Jay
sorry to hear of your bike issues, but glad you got to make use of the coil.
good luck, and worry not, there will still be beer in SA when you get here!
Ganjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #1492
Made2ride
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi Jay,
I know it’s a long shot but ..... have you checked your fuel filter for blockage, you may be using fuel faster than it can deliver, causing the very same problems.
I did a quick search and found this info that may be useful.
http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/ti_...e/timar09.html

Well folks, we have another filtering problem that can plague DR650 riders, especially
those who use aftermarket gas tanks and spend lots of time in the dirt.

Few DR650 owners seem to be aware that there is a small in-line fuel filter inside the
curved fuel intake pipe of the carburetor. It's so small that it can clog the line easily,
restricting fuel flow.

Some aftermarket fuel tank petcock filters are not able to remove some of the smaller
material, so the fine stuff ends up in the in-line filter and eventually stops fuel flow. You
can sometimes clean this tiny filter.

Joe
Made2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:34 AM   #1493
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,528
@Dekatria: thanks for believing in me

@Cuttle: yup, got some responses from the collective there, but don't think I have the space to tear into the bike here. It's pissing down tropical thunderstorm and no good covering to work on the bike.

@prince_ruben: thanks, buddy. All my farkles are mounted on top on the bike's harness, meaning it's not spliced into it and runs directly to the battery. I think it's a short in the bike's harness somewhere...

@mathewsturtevant: thank you very much for that. I read a quote in someone's signature on the DR650 thread that said: Attitude, the difference between an ordeal and an adventure. I've been repeating that to myself. And yeah, I've been trying to get a control on the voices in my head that worry too much and run through all the negative scenarios. A quiet voice kept speaking up after I left Kibondo that all was not well, but I told him to shush and let's see how things go. Turns out he was onto something. Bastid!

And I haven't told you guys, but yup, I did meet a special ms. someone during my break in Nairobi. She's a Japanese researcher and we've been together since April. It made leaving Nairobi in August very, very difficult. She's now got a job in Delhi and is waiting for me there. I told her to wait until I finished this journey that I set out on but this massive breakdown is sapping away at my will to continue, especially since I'm going to be riding through the rainy season and muddy roads now for the next few months if I continue. But, I was set on it and really wanted to at least reach South Africa, but I guess sanDRina has other plans and doesn't want to get there.

If I cross back into Kenya to fix the bike properly in Nairobi, I'm not sure I can continue south. When I crossed the second time into Tanzania this time, the immigration officer gave me a hard time, suspecting why I was crossing back and forth so often. He suspected I was working illegally, which a lot of foreigners do here, to avoid the expensive work permit. So crossing back again for the 3rd time is not looking good. And if this takes a few months to fix and my Mozambique and South Africa visas expire for the second time, getting them for the third time is going to raise suspicions.

I'm going to try and get sanDRina on a truck to Arusha, the biggest city near Nairobi on the Tanzanian side and see if replacing the wiring harness is going to fix this problem. But, then again, how can I be sure the problem wont resurface in a few hundred miles when I'm deep in mud country.

@BearII: thanks, I hope a solution is around the corner...

@Ganjora: thanks for the parts, Dave It's been a godsend to have different parts to throw at the problem. I hope I make it to SA at some point and claim those beers

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #1494
rahza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hi Jay,
I feel so sad when there is trouble on the road. Stay put. Maybe it is the best to go back a bit than go forward at the moment. hope you could fix the bike to move forward in your epic journey. Thanks. Cheers.
rahza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #1495
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

sanDRina in the middle of a field repair in southwestern Tanzania, just before a thunderstorm rolled through:

In trying times like this, I tell myself to look for the positives and put things in perspective. I'm healthy, dry and online

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #1496
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post

In trying times like this, I tell myself to look for the positives and put things in perspective. I'm healthy, dry and online
Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #1497
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,560
The end of a trip is in your head, not on a map Jay. It's just over when it's over.
That electronic gremlin is a pisser and I know the feeling of having an unsteady mount in demanding territory. Until it's fixed or you've made other travel arrangements you won't have any peace. Go for peace.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #1498
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Talking

Ha! Found the culprit: clogged fuel filter (paper core). Replaced it with a new spare (copper core) and sanDRina runs like a champ! Went for a 60 km test ride and no issues. I think that was it Continuing south tomorrow

Come on, motorcycle gods, what else you got? Let me have it.

I got jolted last night and told myself that 'give up' isn't in my dictionary. I beat my demons back in their cave and listened to the advice from biker friends who directed me to inspect this part.
If I don't make it to the next town tomorrow, I'll figure it out

Old 11-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #1499
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,410
Fantastic!

As an old diesel mech i know enough to get me in trouble about filtering fuel.
The copper will be less apt to clog but i do believe paper will hold back water that copper will not.
If the bike starts to run rough after several questionable fill-ups... drain the float bowl.

Consider: felt once wetted with gasoline will not pass water. Learned this in the '60s racing outboard boats.
A square of felt over a funnel turns the trick.

My Best,
OldPete
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #1500
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post

Come on, motorcycle gods, what else you got? Let me have it.

Careful! They might take that badly.

I'm glad te hear your on your way again. Previous to your post above I was thinking along the lines that there is nothing wrong with ending the ride and going off to meet up with your girlfriend again. It seems like a no lose situation now, carry on riding = great, stop riding and go see gf = great.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote