Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #1501
F.P.
Clown who is sick

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Careful! They might take that badly.

I'm glad te hear your on your way again. Previous to your post above I was thinking along the lines that there is nothing wrong with ending the ride and going off to meet up with your girlfriend again. It seems like a no lose situation now, carry on riding = great, stop riding and go see gf = great.
I am confused....are you suggesting that spending quality time with a your girlyfriend is equal to a motorcycle adventure through Africa?
Get on that bike and RIDE brother!
(my son at 8 years old)
F.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #1502
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Good catch Jay!
Shows even the most experienced can sometimes forget common and basic routine maintenance items. You had me 100% stumped ... as I assumed the whole fuel system would have been looked at earlier!

Man ... so glad your electronics seem to all be good! Carbs are SO much easier to deal with!

Ride Safe Carry On!

(PS: as mentioned, some of that crud may have migrated into your carb ... so probably flushing the float bowl once or twice might be in order? Or better yet ... how about flushing out the Safari too? (and it's petcocks?)
My IMS Petcocks were flithy ... and I too waited WAY too long to check them.

Good Luck!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 01:15 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #1503
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
so Jay...by chance was this clogged filter the cause of the problem before you switched all the electronics??? i sure hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Ha! Found the culprit: clogged fuel filter (paper core). Replaced it with a new spare (copper core) and sanDRina runs like a champ! Went for a 60 km test ride and no issues. I think that was it Continuing south tomorrow

Come on, motorcycle gods, what else you got? Let me have it.

I got jolted last night and told myself that 'give up' isn't in my dictionary. I beat my demons back in their cave and listened to the advice from biker friends who directed me to inspect this part.
If I don't make it to the next town tomorrow, I'll figure it out

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:04 AM   #1504
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Wholly Crap! You must know DR650 inside and out, literally. I'm thinking you're going to have to remove the whole harness to find this short but at least this was simple..............in the end.

take care Jay.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #1505
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,535
@OldPete: thanks for the good tips. The first thought when the bike died initially was bad fuel (mixed with water), I drained the tank, sold the old fuel off and bought new fuel, but forgot to check the filter then. Doh! Good tip with the felt. I'll need to find some when I hit civilization next

@MeinMotorrad: haha, yeah, don't want to piss off the moto gods too much, but they're only a figment of my imagination
I think the thought of quitting now and going to be with my human girlfriend pissed sanDRina off and she gave me all this trouble to focus the attention back on her. Women, I tell you, so demanding

@Chris: I'm riding in Afrikaaahh!!

@ADV Grifter: yeah, kicking myself now for overlooking the filter all this time. In my defense, prior to Nairobi, I had two inline fuel filters right after each petcock on the Safari tank and that meant they were clearly visible all the time and I routinely checked them and replaced as needed. In Nairobi, my mechanic buddy and I talked it over and he said putting the filter after the two lines join would mean less filters to carry. Good point, so we did that, and the filter is now hidden from view, behind the tank, near the rear brake reservoir. But, this filter was installed only 1,600 miles ago, so I think water or something else lead to early failure and then it clogged during running and when I let the bike 'cool down' I think the sediments in the filter settled and that allowed the bike to run again until all the sediments clogged the pores again. I hope that's it.
And you're so right, I gladly welcome a mechanical problem over an electrical problem, any day!
I checked both petcocks and their screens are ok but there's some crud around the base. I'll flush it when I get the next chance.

@eakins: I guess I'll never know. I mean, I could put the old CDI, rectifier and stator back on and check or believe that it was a new problem that arose after that...

@Thumper Dan: I have a spare harness and if she dies on me again, that's it, harness replacement!

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #1506
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Feels great to be back on the road! Had a nice ride today, 230 kms on muddy and sandy roads with no issues. I think sanDRina is healed :) Camping in front of Katavi National Park and next to hundreds of noisy hippos ;)

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #1507
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Feels great to be back on the road! Had a nice ride today, 230 kms on muddy and sandy roads with no issues. I think sanDRina is healed :) Camping in front of Katavi National Park and next to hundreds of noisy hippos ;)

Glad to hear that you are back on the road!
I'm planning to start riding north from South Africa in mid January.
Hopefully we meet somewhere on the road!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #1508
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 239
I've heard that paper core fuel filters are restrictive to gravity fed flow.Best to use mettalic core to prevent posible fuel starvation.
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #1509
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,178
Great to hear your bike problems have been pinpointed and solved.
Keep your spirits high and finish your trip.... You'll kick yourself the rest of your life if you don't do so.
Ride on!!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #1510
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Good to be back in the groove and riding for a couple days :) Rough but scenic route from Katavi thru Sumbawanga. Climbing up and over highlands on bumpy, washboard roads. Bone-rattling for me and pannier frame-cracking for sanDRina. Need to get that welded. Passed by the Tanzania-Zambia border and confirmed that Indians need a 'referred' visa, meaning prior approval from Lusaka, which I still need to work on :/ Managed to avoid the rain on the dirt roads but it caught me on the tarmac = bike wash ;)

Rolled into Mbeya and CouchSurfing with Anna and Maren, working in the health sector. A few days downtime are in order...

Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #1511
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Thumb

Happy again to be with a healthy sanDRina Found the fault in a clogged fuel filter and she's back to her old self. Here we are taking a break in southwestern Tanzania, in the remote forests along Lake Tanganyika. The route was mostly good riding with hard-packed mud, but it got sandy, corrugated and slippery in places. She's handling great and we tackled bumps, rocks, steeps and crazy drivers with aplomb. Resting for a few days in Mbeya, then either into Zambia or Mozambique...

Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #1512
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 939
Great to see the ol' girl back! it's always darkest before the dawn!
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #1513
Rider14
Rider14

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made2ride View Post
Hi Jay,
I know it’s a long shot but ..... have you checked your fuel filter for blockage, you may be using fuel faster than it can deliver, causing the very same problems.
I did a quick search and found this info that may be useful.
http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/ti_...e/timar09.html

Well folks, we have another filtering problem that can plague DR650 riders, especially
those who use aftermarket gas tanks and spend lots of time in the dirt.

Few DR650 owners seem to be aware that there is a small in-line fuel filter inside the
curved fuel intake pipe of the carburetor. It's so small that it can clog the line easily,
restricting fuel flow.

Some aftermarket fuel tank petcock filters are not able to remove some of the smaller
material, so the fine stuff ends up in the in-line filter and eventually stops fuel flow. You
can sometimes clean this tiny filter.

Joe
Thumbs up to Joe for hitting the nail on the head. Glad to see you're back on the road, Jay. Please keep the pictures coming - always looking forward to your updates.

- Dan
Rider14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #1514
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

@Salcar: Hey Sal, I'll keep you posted. I'll probably get to SA in a few weeks, depending on what visas I can get. Which city are you in?

@Inroads: Now I know

@SS: Thanks, man. Yeah, so glad I could find enough motivation to keep looking for the problem and it paid off

@Dekatria: Well said

@Rider14: Yup, I heard that from Joe and another DR rider and realized that I hadn't checked the fuel filter all this time and voila, that was it!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #1515
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Talking

A milestone in my journey: today is the 1,000th day since I started this adventure on March 5th, 2010 from Chicago! It's been amazing and I'm so glad that I could embark on this journey when I did. There have been life-affirming experiences, such as my stays with farmers in Bolivia and fishermen in Sudan and challenging situations, such as my recent prolonged breakdown in Tanzania and dealing with bureaucratic hurdles. All good in the end and so thankful for all of you that have supported me throughout this trip Onwards to South Africa!