Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #1591
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
What an adventure your trip has been. It's far from over but it's definitely coming to an end. How do you feel this trip has changed your outlook on the world? Especially in a country like Africa where there is so much poverty and need for help? It seems like the gap between those who are better of and those at the bottom is extremely wide.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #1592
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,535
February 1, 2013

Hello, South Africa!
And that was the last land border crossing of this trip. I have 30 days to get to Cape Town and there's a lot to see and many friends to meet along the way. I got to Upington and am staying with a biker from the local riding community, WildDog.za.net. sanDRina got treated to some new shoes, a set of sponsored tires from Heidenau, along with a new chain and sprockets, oil change and air filter cleaning.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #1593
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
A hearty welcome to South Africa.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #1594
X Banana Boy
stuck in the office

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeklr View Post
X Banana Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #1595
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
"...the idea that humans are insignificant on the grand scale of things. But instead of belittling me, it generates great respect for the forces that shape our world."
My feelings, exactly. When I hear people arguing about global warming and someone says "man is destroying the earth" I think, man is not destroying the earth, it will be here long after us, but what man is really destroying is man.

And that alone should press us to make sure all our respective govts take a reasoned approach to pollution and major environmental impacts.
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #1596
Ganjora
class A bollockser

Oddometer: 146
excellent news J.
welcome to SA.
perfect time to arrive - we're having a spectacular summer this year.
looking forward to meeting you when you get to JHB, been following your thread for a hell of a long time.
Ganjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #1597
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

February 3, 2013

That was a day out of my norm: rode 775 kms (482 miles) straight into Johannesburg, met up with Riaan, a biker setting off on his round-Africa journey soon and he had a spare ticket for a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert. Wow, great show! I'm smiling thinking about how I was listening to them on my desert playlist all thru Namibia and then I get to seem them in concert Life, you gotta take it as it comes... Strange how I was in wilderness for so many weeks and then I'm in a stadium (Soccer City) with 90,000 rocking fans! Now, I'm at a local cricket league match and Riaan is bowling.

Here's an old video from a tar ride through Utah set to RHCP's Snow: vimeo.com/8305260

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 02-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #1598
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjora View Post
excellent news J.
welcome to SA.
perfect time to arrive - we're having a spectacular summer this year.
looking forward to meeting you when you get to JHB, been following your thread for a hell of a long time.
Dave, Riaan's having a braai Monday night and you should come. I'll be leaving on Wednesday. He lives in Roodeport. My number is 083 738 2312.

If anyone else is in Joburg, you're invited too, give me a call.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #1599
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,646
Wow.

I just found your thread. Its quite epic. I should be reading threads about Siberia because that's where I'm going next.. but instead I'll be catching up with yours. Well done. Rubber side down!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #1600
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 939
Doesn't the upcoming departure from Africa make you feel melancholic in some way? It's been your home for quite a long time now... I can imagine you'd have trouble leaving it.
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #1601
Keating
pre-n00b

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
March 16 - April 3, 2011
An indication of the high quality of German automobiles is the higher octane petrol that they need with 95 being the lowest grade (with 10% ethanol), going up to 98 (5% ethanol) and 102, which could be considered race gas in the US. This is why Europeans are so worried about the fuel quality in the Americas. What will they do with 86 octane fuel?
[/i]
Hey Jay. Great RR. Just found it a couple weeks ago and I've been playing catch up.
I don't know if this has been addressed by anyone yet, but the octane ratings you see on the pumps outside of Canada and the US are RON. (Research Octane Number).
There is another rating called the MON (Motor Octane Number) which is usually approximately 10 points less than the RON octane rating.
In Canada and the US, the Octane rating marked on the fuel pumps is something called the AKI or Anti-Knock Index, which is calculated as the (RON+MON)/2.
You usually see this on the pump in smaller letters above the octane number as: "Minimum Octane Rating (R+M/2) Method". Look for it the next time you're back in NA.

All this to say, that the 95 Octane fuel you're seeing at the pumps in Europe is the equivalent of 89 Octane in Canada/US.

Keep up the great writing! And stay safe!

Paul
Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #1602
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
Seems like a really relaxing environment to be in. Good on ya
Man, I just love me some remote, open spaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post

Not sure about Swedish house. KPS is near Zion school and past Moonjikkal junction. Not sure if you would remember all that
I've donated a small amount towards your trip. Have a beer on me!!
Oh yeah, I remember now. Plan to ride back up to Kodai when I get to India
Thanks for the donation, Naveen

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Banana Boy View Post
Very cool Jammin. I was at Sossusvlei in 1988. They were impressive then, as they are now.
Nice. I wish I could've ridden there with the bike so that I could chose where to be, such as at Sossusvlei for sunrise instead of Dune 45. Just in the last year they've banned motorcycles from entering the park. Seems like some hooligans went off-roading onto the dunes and that's a no-no, so all motorcycles are banned. I got a lift from some French travelers but had to follow their schedule around the park.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #1603
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
What an adventure your trip has been. It's far from over but it's definitely coming to an end. How do you feel this trip has changed your outlook on the world? Especially in a country like Africa where there is so much poverty and need for help? It seems like the gap between those who are better of and those at the bottom is extremely wide.
Later
John
Hey John, yup, it's hard to ignore that the income inequality gap is really wide and getting wider, which is happening all around the world. But what I've also seen is that while the younger generation is hungry to get plugged into the global economy, the older generation is content with life as it comes. You can read about it, but experiencing the smiles of ladies selling fruits and veg by the side of the road is heart-warming. These people live harsh lives, according to Western standards, but they still find lots to smile about.

As my trip nears its end, I'm thinking about what happens next. What kind of life lays ahead for me? What I do know is that I won't go back to my old lifestyle as I'm content now with the few possessions I have and haven't felt the desire to be chasing money, although I do need to find a revenue stream to get by I'm excited to see what happens in India, especially after seeing how life goes on in so many other developing countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeklr View Post
Thanks, mate! I'm enjoying the company of friendly South Africans here in Joburg and looking forward to great riding in the 'bergs and along the coast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-LA View Post
My feelings, exactly. When I hear people arguing about global warming and someone says "man is destroying the earth" I think, man is not destroying the earth, it will be here long after us, but what man is really destroying is man.
And that alone should press us to make sure all our respective govts take a reasoned approach to pollution and major environmental impacts.
Well said. Yeah, no need to Save The Earth, more like Save Our Current Form of Civilization, or better yet, Let's Move On To Living in Harmony with Nature
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I just found your thread. Its quite epic. I should be reading threads about Siberia because that's where I'm going next.. but instead I'll be catching up with yours. Well done. Rubber side down!
Ooh, do share some links of Siberian RRs. Maybe from India, there's a Russia trip in my future...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
Doesn't the upcoming departure from Africa make you feel melancholic in some way? It's been your home for quite a long time now... I can imagine you'd have trouble leaving it.
For sure. When I leave at the end of this month (if I can't get a visa extension) it would be 22 months on the African continent. If I can find a boat out of Africa, that'll be the best way to sit back and reflect on my almost two years riding on this amazing continent...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keating View Post
All this to say, that the 95 Octane fuel you're seeing at the pumps in Europe is the equivalent of 89 Octane in Canada/US.
Ahh, excellent info, Paul. Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense now.

Here in South Africa, next to the unleaded fuel pumps, they offer a Lead Replacement petrol, says metal-containing and one mechanic told me to just run that in the DR, which I'm not sure about. I'll get a photo of it.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #1604
Ganjora
class A bollockser

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Here in South Africa, next to the unleaded fuel pumps, they offer a Lead Replacement petrol, says metal-containing and one mechanic told me to just run that in the DR, which I'm not sure about. I'll get a photo of it.
J, DR runs on unleaded.
sorry i missed you last night - work been a bit hectic.
hopefully you'll be around for a bit, and we'll eventually meet.
Ganjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #1605
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

February 6, 2013

Suzuki DR Overlanders Unite! I got to meet up once again with Danielle and Mike in Joburg. The last time we met was in Kampala and then they got here a few months ago and took some time to connect with family and friends. Danielle's been working on her DR350 and they should be back on the road soon. Mike's DR650 is running strong and sanDRina loves being with some 'zook friends

I had some time to relax in Joburg with Riaan and share some tips for the long road ahead that's coming for him (vansafrica.wordpress.com). He managed to get me a new clip for my GoPro housing that snapped and I've stocked up on some supplies like Locktite and copper slip grease. I cleaned up the carb and replaced a few worn parts in there (air screw and jet needle).

I'm heading north today into Limpopo to run a photography workshop at a remote orphanage (TheLonelyRoad.org) for two days and will also be discussing rain-water harvesting with the community. It's part of my participation with the Muskoka Foundation who encourage travelers to do good as they go