Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #1636
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,526

Tea leaves, ending up in a hot cup near you. While coffee beans are roasted to get to the end product, tea leaves are fermented.

A huge cell phone tower next to the Lutheran Guest House in Njombe. I was only getting 2G reception in most small towns but connection is there and data is cheap in Tanzania at around Tsh 500/25MB ($1.28/100MB).

Having a nicely presented lunch/dinner of rice and beans with some veggie and hot sauce for Tsh 1,200 ($0.76) at a nearby cafe.

Doing some gear maintenance as I prepared to head into remote parts of northern Mozambique. This is my LifeSaver water filter and check out the muck that's lining the inside. This filter works amazingly well and I've not had to buy a single bottle of mineral water on this trip.

On the road to Songea and enjoying the gorgeous landscape and twisty curves.

I got some boiled eggs ordered at the cafe near the guest house and had two for a roadside lunch.

Heading down from the highlands and just soaking in all the greenery and twisting asphalt.

Songea is a frontier town with remote crossings from here west into Malawi and south into Mozambique, where I was headed next. I knew that Mozambique would be more expensive than Tanzania so I stocked up on supplies such as washing powder, biscuits and instant coffee sachets.

Songea is a pleasant town with grand, old trees lining the main road.

The staff at the Anglican Church Hostel in Songea.

A crowd had gathered as this curious-looking biker prepared to leave.

Heading south from Songea for the remote border crossing into Mozambique.

The road was in good condition and the scenery was epic, with jagged peaks in view.

I passed through a few villages...

...and stopped often to take in the grand views.

One last break in the shadow of this tree before the border.

The forest got more dense as I left the villages behind and pretty soon I was...

...chatting up the lone customs officer at the Rio Rivuma Border. Photos aren't allowed at borders but that's where GoPro comes in handy. I distracted him just in time so that he wouldn't notice that while the bike had been in Tanzania for 3 months, my passport had been stamped in and out twice.

Nice chap, he even exchanged my remaining Tanzanian Shillings into Mozambican Meticals and gave me a really good rate, better than the banks. Now, that's what I call customs with service.

Goodbye, Tanzania. I enjoyed your land and dirt roads and gentle people and won't let my extended breakdown have a lasting impact of my impression of your wonderful country. Onwards to Mozambique!

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #1637
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Talking Reached the Southern Tip of Africa!

February 23, 2013

Woohoo! sanDRina and I made it to Cape Agulhas, the southernmost point on the African continent. The Atlantic and Indian oceans meet here and I'm looking forward to the land that lies on the other side of the Indian Ocean.

From Alexandria in Egypt to Cape Agulhas in South Africa it's been 33,475 kms (20,805 mi) over 22 months And to end my wonderful ride through Africa, I rode the most amazing road along the coast to Cape Town. Now to figure out how sanDRina and I are getting to India...

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #1638
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #1639
naveenroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
From Alexandria in Egypt to Cape Agulhas in South Africa it's been 33,475 kms (20,805 mi) over 22 months And to end my wonderful ride through Africa, I rode the most amazing road along the coast to Cape Town. Now to figure out how sanDRina and I are getting to India...
Awesome stuff. Great to see that the bike problems didn't stop you! Can't wait to read the rest of the story....
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #1640
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 671
Did you give up on the plan to replace the Head in SA, or have I missed something??
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #1641
KingKong_500
big size ding dong

Oddometer: 40
Awesome read.

A trip of a life time !

Would be an honour to buy you beer when you arrive in Chennai. Also, to look at the beauty you are riding.

Cheers.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #1642
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Cool2 End of Africa Rebuild

February 26, 2013

As part of my End-of-Africa celebrations, I treated sanDRina to a day at the spa namely Mike's garage near Cape Town. He reached out on the WildDog forums and offered to sponsor me a suspension rebuild. He used to be a test rider and chief mechanic for prototypes for a motorcycle company in Europe, so his skills are highly valued here.

For the gear heads, here's what was done: Rear Shock rebuilt with new WP stiffer spring, Front Forks oil change, Brake fluid replaced, New Brake Pads, Valve Check, Engine Oil Change and a new Spark Plug. sanDRina's a happy DR now

Big thanks to Mike for taking so much time out of his work to help me out

Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #1643
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Did you give up on the plan to replace the Head in SA, or have I missed something??
Yeah, gave up on that plan. I tired to source one but didn't manage. Shipping and planning my exit from here took all my time. I'll get one from the States and have it sent over when I'm in India. The brass inserts I had made in Kenya are holding well

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKong_500 View Post
A trip of a life time !
Would be an honour to buy you beer when you arrive in Chennai. Also, to look at the beauty you are riding.
Cheers.
Thanks, mate. I'll be there next week but sanDRina's arriving by sea, so probably in early April.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #1644
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
February 26, 2013
As part of my End-of-Africa celebrations, I treated sanDRina to a day at the spa namely Mike's garage near Cape Town. He reached out on the WildDog forums and offered to sponsor me a suspension rebuild. He used to be a test rider and chief mechanic for prototypes for a motorcycle company in Europe, so his skills are highly valued here.

For the gear heads, here's what was done: Rear Shock rebuilt with new WP stiffer spring, Front Forks oil change, Brake fluid replaced, New Brake Pads, Valve Check, Engine Oil Change and a new Spark Plug. sanDRina's a happy DR now

Big thanks to Mike for taking so much time out of his work to help me out
Excellent! Looking forward to reports from India! This latest update once again shows just how solid and tough the venerable DR seems to be. If you were on a KTM you'd be ready for another complete engine rebuild.

Jay, I know you've been really good keeping up on maintenance and I'm sure everything is covered. But just wondering when you last checked the
swing arm bearings and link bearings?

Link bearings are easy to inspect/re-grease ... the Swing Arm bearings, not so much . All these bearings seem to last really well unless you are doing LOTS of river crossings or riding constantly in rain. And don't forget those pesky fuel filters!

Ride safe ... Rubber Side Down!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #1645
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,561
Grrrrrr! Dude! You need to stop posting such a good report. Now I am really trying to figure out how I will go to Africa!

Seriously though. Great job man!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #1646
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,264
^^ Aren't you supposed to be snow boarding or something?

Really enjoying both RRs.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #1647
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
^^ Aren't you supposed to be snow boarding or something?

Really enjoying both RRs.
Right now? Naw.. I'm supposed to be sleeping or hitting on snow bunnies!

DAMN YOU ADVRIDER!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #1648
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Jay, I know you've been really good keeping up on maintenance and I'm sure everything is covered. But just wondering when you last checked the
swing arm bearings and link bearings?
Link bearings are easy to inspect/re-grease ... the Swing Arm bearings, not so much . All these bearings seem to last really well unless you are doing LOTS of river crossings or riding constantly in rain. And don't forget those pesky fuel filters!
Ride safe ... Rubber Side Down!
You bet I'm on top of sanDRina's maintenance Keeping a very thorough maintenance log. Swingarm bearings and link bearings all replaced in Nairobi - sponsored by All Balls Including steering stem bearings.

The Visu SPB (Sintered Porous Bronze) filter that I put on after I discovered I had a clogged filter has been running well since then. Still looks clean but gave it a blow out with an air hose. I can't find these here in South Africa, need to get some sent from the States. I won't be putting a paper core filter ever again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Grrrrrr! Dude! You need to stop posting such a good report. Now I am really trying to figure out how I will go to Africa!
Seriously though. Great job man!
Thanks, Noah. I finally have some downtime now and will go through your RR. Love the snow video

I'm a skier but here's a tame video with some snowboarding buddies shot on Aspen Mountain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3HYk1ZxFC4

and this one's one of my favorites, from Aspen Highlands, steep and deep powder with no one else on the mountain, love it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ulFTfQJQ0

at the end of that trip in winter 2009 I had a fall and tore my ACL. I skiied once more at Jackson Hole, right before leaving on this journey, but haven't been on the snow since Maybe I'll open a ski resort in the Himalayas

Old 02-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #1649
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Quote:
at the end of that trip in winter 2009 I had a fall and tore my ACL. I skiied once more at Jackson Hole, right before leaving on this journey, but haven't been on the snow since Maybe I'll open a ski resort in the Himalayas
Great videos. Sucks about your ACL. How does it feel now? Ever get any pain?

I'll come ski in the Himalayas with you. There is a resort called Galmarg that I wan't to check out. Maybe next winter.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #1650
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Great videos. Sucks about your ACL. How does it feel now? Ever get any pain?

I'll come ski in the Himalayas with you. There is a resort called Galmarg that I wan't to check out. Maybe next winter.
I watch those videos when I'm holed up in some cheap hotel and dreaming of snow

Sucks but my ACL didn't heal completely. I had the hamstring graft, went for 3 months of physical therapy and got my strength and balance back, but... I've suffered with tendonitis in the right knee ever since then. Hurts after standing for like 2 hours or so. Funny thing is I don't feel it when I'm on the bike, standing on the pegs or whatever. But when I'm off the bike, walking around, the pain comes back. It ranges from a constant 1 to a throbbing 5 on a scale to 10. Looking forward to doing something about it when I get to India. I can hear cracking every time I squat. I think there's lose cartilage in there now And my left knee's been taking up the slack and that too is hurting and cracking now. Oh well, it didn't stop me from doing this trip, but I hope I haven't damaged it too much.

I skied Jackson Hole with some Asterik knee braces and that felt great. Might have to use them when I get back on the snow until I'm confident again.

Oh yeah, Gulmarg. It's near the border with Pakistan Adventure Skiing