User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #1756
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,516
May 1, 2013

Today was a special day for me. I rode up the Ghat Road to Kodai, a place up on a mountain where I spent 10 years growing up in boarding school. I've traveled up and down this ghat road numerous times but this was the first time I had ridden it for myself and wow, what a fun road! So many twists and turns and narrow places with blind corners. Kodai sits at an elevation of around 2,135 m (7,000 ft) and the cool temps are a big relief from the hot plains. I'm staying with an old school friend, Hari Shankar Mani, who's friends with the new school principal and we just had a small dinner party. The principal's arranged for me to come speak at school

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #1757
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
April 29, 2013

Woohoo! Jay and Yahoo! Jammin thru India

Yes! I'm finally getting paid to travel

Nice!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
Open-Exporers----->A collection of travel blogs
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #1758
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Congrats on the sponsorship!

Glad to hear you are back on the bike and more updates to come!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #1759
far
ADVreader

Oddometer: 135
Thumb Woohoo Jay

Quote:
April 29, 2013

Woohoo! Jay and Yahoo! Jammin thru India

I'm excited to announce that I've teamed up with Yahoo! India Travel for the last leg of my journey around India. I'll be posting daily text, photo and video updates from the road on this site:

http://in.lifestyle.yahoo.com/jammin-india-with-jay/

Yes! I'm finally getting paid to travel
Woohoo Jay Congrats and now you have your dream JOB getting paid to travel
far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #1760
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post

Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Congrats on the sponsorship!
Glad to hear you are back on the bike and more updates to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by far View Post
Woohoo Jay Congrats and now you have your dream JOB getting paid to travel
Thanks, guys! Yeah, had to be patient and now it's paying off

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #1761
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

May 2, 2013

A walk down memory lane. Looking on at Phelps Dorm, my home for six years and for the last four I had an awesome lake view. Thinking of my old roomie, Harjoth Singh and all the other guys from Phelps. Good times. I walked through school and happy to see that not much has actually changed but there's WiFi everywhere now and Phelps has become a girls dorm The town itself has gotten a lot busier but Kodai still has that charm.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #1762
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
It must be like coming home.
TOTim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #1763
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Cool2 Visiting my Elementary School Dorm

May 3, 2013

I remember you, giant eucalyptus tree. You were huge when I was a kid here and it's comforting to see you haven't shrunk as I've gotten older

Back there is Swedish House, my dorm from 3rd through 6th grade. It was wonderful to visit with Shekinah, another Swedish-Houser and we recalled all sorts of memories, such as playing on that huge hill, which doesn't seem that big now and playing capture-the-flag in the woods behind that have been cut down now and the crazy daily bus journey down and up from school...

It's amazing how vivid the memories are from this part of my life and being able to come back reinforces these strong, old memories. It's been good to connect with old alumni, staff, my dorm-parent, my PE teacher, some ayyas (maids) who still remember me, the carpenter with whom I spent hours building things with wood, some of the cooks from the dining hall and the nurses at The Dish (dispensary).

I gave a little talk on the Covered Courts in the evening, just before the Kodai Athletic Club handed out Field Day awards. I didn't want to encourage the kids to quit their job later in life, but just to follow their passion, put the effort in and it'll pay off

Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #1764
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Cool2

May 6, 2013

I reached the southern tip of India at Kanyakumari! It's all the way north from here to Kashmir

I crossed into Kerala and had fun on the hilly roads with lots of twists and turns. The driving is crazy but nothing I haven't seen in other countries. It's all about anticipating whether that auto-rickshaw (tuk-tuk) is going to keep going straight or make a random u-turn. I can say that to ride in India, one needs a loud horn, good reflexes and a bucket of swear words. Use all liberally and it's good fun

I rode past congested Kochi and met up with an old Kodai School friend, John Thomas, who's now a history professor. It's good to catch up and since he studied in Delhi, he's putting me in touch with contacts for points north.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #1765
naveenroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
May 6, 2013

I reached the southern tip of India at Kanyakumari! It's all the way north from here to Kashmir

Dayum, I am in Kanyakumari now. Couldn't have met either as dad is in hospital and am with him. Good luck on the long ride north!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #1766
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

May 7, 2013

Here's a GoPro video from my ride into Calicut yesterday. The driving is crazy on Kerala's busy roads but makes for fun riding if you can match the local pace

Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #1767
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

May 8, 2013

A friendly stop by the Karnataka Police Force just outside Mangalore. I overtook their police van and a few minutes later, they were flashing their lights and waving me over. I thought, 'OK, here we go, first police stop in India...' but no worries, they were just curious and friendly and wanted to take some photos and then started telling about me to a passing journalist

I had a good ride through northern Kerala and when not stuck behind trucks, the twisties were a thrill to ride.

I reached Udipi and met up with the United Riders Udipi Bullet motorcycle club, having been connected by the Madras Bulls. The brotherhood here took fantastic care of me with tandoori chicken and McDowells Platinum Whiskey and it was good to share stories from the road

Old 05-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #1768
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
May 7, 2013

Here's a GoPro video from my ride into Calicut yesterday. The driving is crazy on Kerala's busy roads but makes for fun riding if you can match the local pace

So, I'm thinking they paint lines on the roads for decoration. It was interesting seeing a 2, 3, 4, and at times 5 lane Calicut freeway.
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #1769
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTim View Post
It must be like coming home.
It sure was. Good to touch base with 'home' every once in a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Dayum, I am in Kanyakumari now. Couldn't have met either as dad is in hospital and am with him. Good luck on the long ride north!
Oh man, we missed again. Hope your dad gets better soon. Thanks, I survived the South, now let's see the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
So, I'm thinking they paint lines on the roads for decoration. It was interesting seeing a 2, 3, 4, and at times 5 lane Calicut freeway.
Yeah, funny to think how much money they've wasted on those "Do not overtake" signs
If there's a space on the road, someone's going to be there

Old 05-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #1770
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

May 8, 2013

I recorded my first stop by Indian police yesterday. No worries, all smiles and just curious