User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #1771
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,526
May 9, 2013

Oh, yeah! I've arrived in Goa Beautiful ride on small roads through old villages shrouded by coconut trees with the breeze from the ocean. Rode to Anjuna and found a small guest house right on the beach. The caretaker, Agnes, was telling me stories from before Goa got independence from the Portuguese. Anjuna is known for its trance parties and I enjoyed some chill ambient trance at a cliffside restaurant over fish curry and rice. A day off now...

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #1772
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Press: Interview on WheelsUnplugged.com

May 10, 2013

Here's an interview I did for http://WheelsUnplugged.com by Navroze Contractor, who's an award-winning cinematographer and photographer and now writes for automotive magazines. The interview details how I got into motorcycles, how I got fleeced by Egyptian customs and why travel on two wheels

http://www.wheelsunplugged.com/featu...ride-home/1548

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #1773
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

May 10, 2013

A sleepy cat amongst the fruits in Chapora, probably eying some breakfast from the fish market across the road...

I went for a nice walk in the morning with Sagar, an old teacher from Kodai School who's also staying with my classmate, Arjun's parents in nearby Vagator. We walked to the fishing pier and took a morning dip where the waters of the Chapora River flow into the Indian Ocean. After some fresh chikoo (zapota) juice, I enjoyed another day off in the company of sadhus. Baba Ramji has been educating me on the foundations of Hinduism with sidetracks to cover Siddhartha and Mahavira.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #1774
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,457
Great stuff Jammin

Still lovin it

Cheers Andi
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #1775
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

May 12, 2013

Sublime ride out of Goa into southern Maharashtra. Good roads, lite traffic and nice curves on the hilly NH-17. All the signs are in Hindi now; a sign that I'm in North India. Left the highway and got back to the coast near Ratnagiri and staying with the family that runs GaneshAgroTourism.com. It's a farm-house on a 40 acre Alphonso Mango farm with a hill-view of the ocean. I got in contact with them as my father supplies them with organic fertilizer. Enjoying the clear night sky here. I'm 16 degrees north and can see the Southern Cross and Polaris, the North Star.

From here to the largest city in India tomorrow...

Old 05-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #1776
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Live Chat on Yahoo India Travel Monday 2:30 pm IST

May 13, 2013

Got questions on traveling, motorcycling, photography, being a digital nomad, what it takes to get up and leave, how to sustain a long duration journey and more?

Then join me for a Live Chat on Yahoo! India Travel on Monday, May 13th at 2:30 pm IST (9:00 am GMT). Ask or tweet your queries using the #JamminIndia hashtag.

Click here for the facebook event.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #1777
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Great reporting as usual Jay.
I hope you will give serious thought to writing a series of Motorcycle adventure guide books. Not Ride Reports or a Novel, but a "Do This" "Don't do That" "Go Here" "Take This Road" guide for motorcycle travelers.
Any interest in this at all? You've learned so much ... be nice to share that with other, future motorcycle travelers.

I'd love to own a "Jay's Adventure India" book.
You could do one for each continent you've traveled.

With your good advice, calm approach and clear writing style ... and with your India book in hand, I might just have the confidence to tackle such a formidable ride.
I've NEVER seen such a guide out there beyond Greg Frasier's books, which don't work all that well for me.
I'd be first in line to buy one. Don't think I'm alone.

I've read and reviewed dozens of guide books. Most are either for Back Packers, package tourists or High End short timers. Few for riders. Anyway, just an idea ... I know you've got lots on your plate, but perhaps it would interest you in future?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #1778
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Great stuff Jammin
Still lovin it
Cheers Andi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Great reporting as usual Jay.
I hope you will give serious thought to writing a series of Motorcycle adventure guide books. Not Ride Reports or a Novel, but a "Do This" "Don't do That" "Go Here" "Take This Road" guide for motorcycle travelers.
Any interest in this at all? You've learned so much ... be nice to share that with other, future motorcycle travelers.
Hey Grifter, I've thought about that and let's see... I would need to travel all those places again and probably a bit more to be thorough, oh man, that's going to take years

I definitely want to share all the tips that I've learned and the knowledge that others have shared with me with future travelers and I'll see how much gets put into my book about this journey.

Jammin screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 10:47 AM
Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #1779
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Thumb

May 13, 2013

I got to Bombay last night and nursed sanDRina with a leaking carburetor to Arunoday Singh's place in Juhu. He's an old Kodai School friend and after studying acting in the US and the UK, he's started his career as a Bollywood actor.

sanDRina's carburetor started acting up in the last few days. Her float bowl was over-flowing and she was running very rich (too much fuel in the fuel-air mixture). I couldn't get her to idle at the stop lights through Bombay's traffic. Bharat from the Madras Bulls put me in touch with a local Bullet rider and he told me that Anthony (pictured) was the best bike mechanic in Bombay.

Anthony stripped the carb down and found that the o-ring in the float needle valve was past its due date and was letting fuel flow past into the bowl. That little o-ring served me well over these past few years and it was sent to o-ring heaven A new o-ring was installed and voila, no more over-flowing float bowl but now sanDRina was running too lean at idle, since she was used to all that extra fuel coming in past the old o-ring, so Anthony put in a bigger pilot jet and now sanDRina's growling like a tiger

Anthony also adjusted my loose shift lever with an interesting technique of widening the upper end of the bolt hole so that it would pinch tighter. I can see why he's revered by the bikers in Bombay. He comes from the Trichur district in Kerala and has been a mechanic here for 35 years, initially working on old British bikes and then due to a lack of parts, switched to working on Royal Enfield Bullets.

Good to get greasy and meet the local mechanic

Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #1780
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Oddometer: 347
Jay, are you running a stock carb in SanDRina?

Mine is giving me grief as well, and I was going to hit up thumpertalk and try to figure out where I should be looking to solve a fuel issue at 3/4 or more throttle it surges at times and may cut out when rolling off throttle.

I can just imagine how that hits you in the gut as you look at how far you have to go with a misbehaving bike.

Ride Reports and other drivel:
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/
Rotten Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #1781
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Hey Grifter, I've thought about that and let's see... I would need to travel all those places again and probably a bit more to be thorough, oh man, that's going to take years
Yea, but you'd be having a blast doing it all over ... again!

Quote:
I definitely want to share all the tips that I've learned and the knowledge that others have shared with me with future travelers and I'll see how much gets put into my book about this journey.
I'm sure your book will be a pleasure to read. If you ever decide to do a "guided India tour", count me in.

Quote:
May 13, 2013
Anthony also adjusted my loose shift lever with an interesting technique of widening the upper end of the bolt hole so that it would pinch tighter. I can see why he's revered by the bikers in Bombay. He comes from the Trichur district in Kerala and has been a mechanic here for 35 years, initially working on old British bikes and then due to a lack of parts, switched to working on Royal Enfield Bullets.

Good to get greasy and meet the local mechanic
Good work on the Carb. Man, that 'ol two stroke Carb has served you well!

The Shifter Fix is well known in the DR650 community. Grinding a wider slot in the lever where the bolt goes through works well and gives you a bit more life on the lever. But it will ALWAYS loosen up ... especially if the rider is a bit hard on shifts or has crashed and bent the lever a few times. (like me )

I've ground two different lever slots wider. It works! Good idea to replace the pinch bolt once in a while. Eventually the Hardened Steel of the spline shaft will EAT UP the mating splines on the lever (softer), making them smooth. So, at some point a NEW LEVER is required.

I'm on my 3rd shift lever. (50,000 miles). The Moose Racing lever is no better than stock Suzuki one ... but maybe cheaper? (not sure)

I was in Bombay/Mumbai years ago. WoW! Sensory over load for a Gringo!

Ride Safe, have a blast!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #1782
Slim-Line Tonic
Watch time fly...

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
May 10, 2013

A sleepy cat amongst the fruits in Chapora, probably eying some breakfast from the fish market across the road...

I went for a nice walk in the morning with Sagar, an old teacher from Kodai School who's also staying with my classmate, Arjun's parents in nearby Vagator. We walked to the fishing pier and took a morning dip where the waters of the Chapora River flow into the Indian Ocean. After some fresh chikoo (zapota) juice, I enjoyed another day off in the company of sadhus. Baba Ramji has been educating me on the foundations of Hinduism with sidetracks to cover Siddhartha and Mahavira.

What a blast-all the best for the rest!
Slim-Line Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #1783
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Press: Feature in Bangalore Mirror, Curry Recipe in Print

May 15, 2013

A feature on my trip got published in the Bangalore Mirror with my chicken curry recipe now in print

Larger image: http://bit.ly/jayblrm

Web link: http://bit.ly/10sJPIg

Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #1784
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,421
96,478 kms

WarLlama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #1785
evermore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Vadodara?

Will you be passing through Vadodara sometime soon? I'll be there starting June 3rd..
evermore is offline   Reply With Quote