Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #1831
ThisWayHome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Do you know how late in the season it is possible to ride through the passes in the Himalayas? I may not be able to arrive until the middle of October and bet I'm cutting it close with weather conditions. Any insight into the riding season in this part of the world is appreciated.

sanDRina and I near the Tangala Pass at 5,350 m (17,548 ft). We did it! We rode the Manali-Leh Highway and journeyed through the high Himalayas. It was an epic four days of climbing up and down high passes, brushing up against endless snow banks, chugging through mud and marveling at the beauty of grand nature. The change from the wet side of the Himalayas into the drier side was quite dramatic, especially as the sky was a surreal deep blue, all the way to the horizon. It was very distracting to be looking from one amazing view to another while paying attention to the changing road conditions. sanDRina performed like a champ and she's actually running better at these high altitudes than down on the plains. I think she wants to stay here...
ThisWayHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #1832
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post

...but also
Thanks for taking us along...
...you have earned a place at the very top of the ADV heap along with a few others in a very small and select group.
Most of us will not do a trip such as yours and so we joined you in spirit knowing and appreciating the huge effort it takes to post a RR such as this.
Please keep us posted from time to time. I, for one, would be interested in continuing to hear from you on the thread from time to time...
...Thanks!!!
Thanks for putting it so nicely This trip without this RR would've been quite lonely for me. You guys are an awesome support network
Well, I'm still way behind on the RR, haha, still in Mozambique. So, I'll keep posting slowly and updating on what's happening here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thind View Post
thanks for sharing your adventures, truly inspiring. Do u plan on doing South East Asia with SanDRina?
Yeah, who knows... I'm hoping that Burma opens up fully and then overland from India to SE Asia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post

Thanks for documenting your trip for all of us. Hope you take us along on a new trip soon!
I need a long break but the itch will come back
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaauncg View Post
Thanks again for taking us along and letting us see so much of the world from Sandrina , I remember when you were just starting and having to switch out motors, it is been great seeing you take any obstacles or issues in stride. I hope to someday go out and see the World myself.
Craig
Yeah man, that night in San Francisco, doing an engine transplant so early in the trip and the engine's been awesome! Definitely good practice for knowing that whatever comes your way, there's a way ahead. I was seriously tested with this issue in Tanzania and it just ended up being a clogged fuel filter. Was so close to giving up then and now Im happy I didnt and kept sanDRina on the road.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #1833
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Congratulations! Pls keep posting and maybe do a summary on your trip. Also some video footage would be great.
thanks Heaps Jay.
Thanks, Dan. I promise to finish this RR but as you know, it will take some time, maybe a lot of time but it'll get done

I submitted daily video diaries for the Indian portion of my trip to Yahoo! India and you can check them out here:
http://in.lifestyle.yahoo.com/photos...ary-slideshow/

Here's a small clip from a sandy uphill climb on the Hindustan-Tibet Highway

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #1834
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Bum View Post
Glad you made it safe and sound, but sad to see this journey end. I met you at Gus's before you left Chicago. It seems like a lifetime ago, so much has transpired. I'm guessing in about 6 months, you'll be planning a new trip. (It's in your blood now bro). Be sure to take us along on the future rides. As stated you are in a select group.
Mike
Hey Mike, yeah, same feelings here. Glad I actually made it without a serious accident but sad that now it's time to return to 'normal' life but also happy, new things to look forward to. Say hi to Gus! He was my dial-a-mechanic from anywhere in the world
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJincs View Post
Well done Jay! Thanks for taking us with you. Your skills as a rider are surpassed by your ability to see the best in every person you met and every place you visited along the way.
Thanks for those kind words s The world is a beautiful place if you want to see it and it's a terrible and nasty place if you want to see that. Looking for the good makes for a happy life
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidi_lb View Post
was an swesome day man!!!!!good to meet you...catch you soon on the road
Sid, thanks for being there at the finish line. Good to celebrate with you guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I came in late and took a chair in the rear.. but this one is epic.
If I make it to India I will definitely be in touch.
Ronin, definitely let me know if you get here!

Old 06-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #1835
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman4ever View Post
Congratulations on completing this epic journey. . Will surely miss following your journey.
Would we get to see more detailed photos of your travel through India, esp Kerala and Himalayas?.
Write a book mate... with heaps of photos.
Nithin
Thank, Nithin. Yup, more detailed photojournals are coming but in due time. I need to go back and continue where I left off.. Mozambique, so it might take a while before I get to the Himalayas. Book is in the works and maybe a photobook, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWayHome View Post
Do you know how late in the season it is possible to ride through the passes in the Himalayas? I may not be able to arrive until the middle of October and bet I'm cutting it close with weather conditions. Any insight into the riding season in this part of the world is appreciated.
Middle October is probably cutting it close. I think there's a set cutoff date like first week of November or something but always depends on how early the snow comes and how heavy. Here's a local forum with up-to-date road status info and ask there how late the passes are open:
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/road-status-f90/

and here's a good sticky with loads of info on riding Manali to Leh:
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/lada...-ladakh-t1211/

Old 06-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #1836
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
browsed thru the thread, amazing, your website is very well put together btw.
Did you carry spare Jets for your carbs to adjust for altitude?
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #1837
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
May 16, 2013

It was a hot day's ride from Nashik to Indore with my on-board thermometer registering 47 C (117 F)! I sought some shelter from the sweltering sun under these shady trees and Shashank Parwar, here, emerged from his fields to take a look at this strange bike and its rider. When I saw the sickle in his hand, I asked if I could take his photo and he struck up this stylish pose. He was so well-mannered and polite, which I can't really say about those who are curious about sanDRina and me in urban areas. There's a lot to cherish about rural life...

True Statement, seems like the less people have, the happier they are.
I had a couple cook me the last of their food in a village in the philippines, they did not even know me, that was amazing and I filled their fridge with tons of food before I left.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #1838
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
browsed thru the thread, amazing, your website is very well put together btw.
Did you carry spare Jets for your carbs to adjust for altitude?
I did carry spare jets and that was the idea but I've just been adjusting my air/fuel mixture for the altitude and that does the trick. I have an air speed screw instead of a fuel screw and just adjust to either thin or rich out the mixture. sanDRina was running like a charm in Ladakh, above 14,000 ft and now in Delhi at 800 ft, just adjusted mixture and smooth running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
True Statement, seems like the less people have, the happier they are.
I had a couple cook me the last of their food in a village in the philippines, they did not even know me, that was amazing and I filled their fridge with tons of food before I left.
This is evident the world over good on you for giving back to them, even though they didnt expect it.
Now, I'm getting back into urban life and going to see how minimalist I can stay... my panniers still haven't been emptied and they're still bolted on sanDRina. Just took out my riding rain jacket, which looks like it's been through a few wars, patched up with duct tape

Old 06-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #1839
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Video of the final moments

Here's a video I shot 50 kms from the end of the trip in Delhi...

Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #1840
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
Did you go to this place?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...40940218_n.jpg
Old 06-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #1841
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
you're a legend!
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #1842
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,011
Congrats on a trip well ridden.

We rode past each other while you were in LAX, maybe back in 2010..... Do not remember other than I saw your stickers, but the traffic was thick and could not have stopped for a chat. Too bad.....

Best of luck on your future endeavors!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #1843
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Congratulations on the completion of an epic journey, Jay !

Thank you for sharing this adventure with us. It's been awesome. Many of us have been following along for years now, checking in regularly from update to update. Your journey has served as inspiration for many of us to push away from the dock and start our own.

Good luck on the next segment of your life's adventure. I wish you the best.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #1844
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
Jay, you are the man. You and your trip will always be an important part of ADVrider. You have shown us all what you are made of. The people you have met, and cooked for, the problems you have faced and overcome, the the distance you have traveled, are most impressive. You have done something that you can tell to your Grandchildren. Good for you, and thanks for taking us along.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #1845
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,459
Great Jay---epic--and I just tuned in.

Thanks for all your work putting this together. :-D
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote