Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #1891
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasenada View Post
thanks for sharing this with us, me too registered here in adv because of this thread. almost shed a tear seeing that pic of you with the 300 bikers following you, all these events and the recognition were well deserved
Hola Quasenada! Happy you could join ADV and follow along on this thread. Yeah, RR slowly coming out. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendikaf View Post
Thanks for your reply , I will most likely take a carnet even so I read that guys did it without it , not much info about and seems like a lot of problems at the borders.
Keep up riding and thanks again
Yeah, possible without a carnet, just huge headaches at every border and probably more expensive in the end, considering you might have to pay a deposit with no guarantee of getting it back when you exit!

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #1892
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Thumbs down Down and Out with Dengue

Uggh, been diagnosed with Dengue Fever, also known as Breakbone Fever. Aptly named as my joints and muscles ache all over. Have flown down to Chennai for some personalized medical care by Doctor Mom.

Three years on the road and hardly a sickness. Although I did get stung by that scorpion in Namibia. Stopped traveling for a few months now in Delhi and have come down with food poisoning, dehydration and now dengue. Wish I could see Dr. Ernesto Guevara for I know he would prescribe the perfect medicine... a long motorcycle journey

Had to take the first IV drip of my life to get enough fluids into the bloodstream:

It's about Day 7 now and I'm on the recovery path. Lost about 10 lbs this week. Gawd, what a brutal feeling the first few days were. Incredibly weak, could hardly sleep or eat. But the end is in sight! Mutton for lunch

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #1893
kenbob
Gnarly GnOOb

Oddometer: 273
Geez Jay - all those days in the saddle , sleepin under the stars

Those days were good medicine !!

Wishing you a quick and full recovery .....good luck to you !!
kenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #1894
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,164

Well, that sucks.

Good thoughts headed that way, heal quick, heal well.

You are apparently one of 100 million. I did a quick search and it seems we have a few cases here in Texas too.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #1895
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbob View Post
Geez Jay - all those days in the saddle , sleepin under the stars
Those days were good medicine !!
Wishing you a quick and full recovery .....good luck to you !!
Still can't believe that besides that scorpion sting, hardly a medical issue through all those countries and then this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post

Well, that sucks.
Good thoughts headed that way, heal quick, heal well.
You are apparently one of 100 million. I did a quick search and it seems we have a few cases here in Texas too.
My mom always did say I was one in a million But seriously, this disease is spreading. Heard about cases in Cali, too. Thing is, there is no vaccine or medication for it, unlike malaria. So if you get it, just take lots of tylenol and water.

I'm almost through with it. But lost 10 lbs this past week and feeling weak from that.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #1896
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Mozambique, Part 5: Coastal Riding and Wild Camping at Pebane
December 14 - 15, 2012

This is the continuation of the off-road adventure that I had along Mozambique's rural coast. I had teamed up with Rob, a South African chef riding to Durban and thoroughly enjoyed his delicious and simple seafood preparations at the end of each day's ride.

The story continues just as we put up camp at Pebane, about a third of the way between Ilha da Mozambique and Beira. In the morning, we had a nice exchange with a group of fishermen as they waited for calmer seas before we headed back on to the trail to Quelimane. The fun riding was over and we were beat up over washboard all day long.

The town of Pebane wasn't much to see, so Rob and I asked our way towards the beach. At the end of the road there were some cottages and a clearing under these trees. We asked the caretaker if we could camp here. Sure. How much? Free. Sweet!

Our campsite by the beach and this little stream with a beautiful sunset.

sanDRina exploded into 'home' mode. That's my one man Catoma Twist tent without the rain cover. It's just a mosquito mesh, which is perfect for letting in cool air at night and seeing the stars as I nod off. That orange towel from REI has been my traveling towel since 2006 and smells like it too! Someone said it smelled like a wet dog, which I don't really take offense to. It still absorbs all the water after a bath and dries in an hour. and sanDRina doesn't mind, dirty girl herself.

Rob's Honda Africa Twin and his traveling home.

Chef Rob is already busy preparing dinner. While he was taking a nap after the hard day's ride, I arranged with the caretaker to let us use these table and chairs for the evening. There was no fresh seafood around but he had a lot of freshly-frozen seafood, which was just fine. We bought a bunch of shrimp and squid and he threw in the use of some pots and charcoal for the night.

A wooden boat by the beach just past our campsite.

The pristine beach at Pebane with a brightly setting sun.

A far cry from the exclusive kitchens of El Bulli and El Celler de Can Roca but a good chef needs only some heat, a pan and his cooking sense to...

...prepare some tasty food. Rob cooked up some seafood pasta with just olive oil and salt. Light and delicious. Once again, the meat was too much for just the two of us but we gorged to replenish the calories after a long day in the saddle.

Just before sunrise on the Mozambican coast at Pebane.

The golden rays of the rapidly rising sun.

A lot of fishermen were about, waiting for calm seas before heading out. This man had an interesting face and...

...he was one of the few repairing his boat during the down time brought on by the rough seas.

The morning rays highlighting the concentration needed in mending a boat. The other guy just wanted in on the photo.

Everybody helping to turn this boat over, including the two ghosts up front.

An older canoe being repaired with fire.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #1897
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

As the fishermen gave up heading out to sea, they had to walk back through our camp and everybody just stopped and stared for a while. Fair-enough, considering we just stared at them on the beach. After about 10 minutes, we really had to pack up, so I politely asked if they could leave and most of them did.

Our Pebane camp all packed up and we thanked the caretaker for all he did. The camping itself was free but we used one of his cottages to take showers, bought the seafood and beers from him and used his furniture and pots and paid him a round 300 Meticais ($10.12) for the both of us. Not bad, considering how expensive Mozambique usually is.

Well-rested for another long day along Mozambique's rural coast. The children in villages were always cheering us on and we felt very welcome.

Fueling up. This was the official filling station in this area. Fuel was kept in those huge tanks and sold by the jerry can.

I recognized this sweet. It was coconut burfi! My mother makes this a lot in South India and what do you know, there's an excess of coconuts in Mozambique and they figured out the same sweet to make from it, or maybe there's been some recipe exchange over the years.

Smiling coconut burfi trader.

Leaving the towns behind, it was back into the bush. A bright, sunny day through forests and corrugated roads.

We were both fatiguing quickly. After 30 kms of fast-riding over washboard, we needed a good 15 minute break, before going back in for another beating. It was a long day with 300 kms (186 mi) between Pebane and Quelimane and most of it was brutal washboard.

During one of the breaks, I noticed this huge crack on sanDRina's frame. Oh no! This must've happened on the first day of this coastal adventure when I hit a bridge at full speed and landed really hard. The forces must've gone through my rear shock mount and cracked here. We were still in the bush and had over 600 kms (373 mi) till the next city of Beira.

Nothing to do about it besides suit up and...

...get back on the bike and ride out of here, over more washboard. I was hoping the crack wouldn't get worse.

Passing through sandy villages.

We arrived at Quelimane and setup camp at this old hotel and got the caretaker to setup a charcoal stove and we were both so tired today, we just had him salt and grill the fish for us. It was a 4 kg pedra and again too much meat for us but we ate most of it.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #1898
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
100th

This is where I started, so it's fitting to have my 100th post here .

I see the quality has not diminished ... outstanding report my friend and get well !

hwunger screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 02:13 PM
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #1899
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,545
Hi Jay,

I stopped earlier this year at TrevorHeath's house in Arizona and had some of your wonderful curry recipe at his lovely home.

Just wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed your ride report and saw that it was so close to five stars, I had to give you a five star vote to put you over the top.

I really enjoyed traveling in India so many years ago, and it is on my list of places to go at a future date. Hope to see you down the road someday. Keep up the good work.

नमस्कार,
जॉन

JDowns screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 05:33 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #1900
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
This is where I started, so it's fitting to have my 100th post here .
I see the quality has not diminished ... outstanding report my friend and get well !
Glad to be the first and the 100th
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Jay,
I stopped earlier this year at TrevorHeath's house in Arizona and had some of your wonderful curry recipe at his lovely home.
Just wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed your ride report and saw that it was so close to five stars, I had to give you a five star vote to put you over the top.
I really enjoyed traveling in India so many years ago, and it is on my list of places to go at a future date. Hope to see you down the road someday. Keep up the good work.
नमस्कार,
जॉन
Namaste, John. Your hindi is better than mine!
Glad you enjoyed the curry. It's the legacy of my trip
Thanks for the five stars. I will finish this ride report... some day.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #1901
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Cool2 Sponsor: Warp 9 Racing and JamminGlobal

November 26, 2013

My trip ended a while back but sponsors are still approaching me Is there a message there somewhere…?

Big thanks to Warp 9 Racing for sprucing up sanDRina with this beautifully-machined, adjustable front brake lever along with other levers, an oversized 320 mm brake disc, chain guide, handlebar risers and an improved design starter motor cap.

They're out of Salt Lake City in Utah and make accessories for dirt bikes, specializing in rims, and have recently gotten into making parts for the Suzuki DR650. Thank you Warp 9 for showing the DR some love!

I haven't mounted the new rotor yet, but just with the lever, the brake feel is so much improved. Maybe my old levers had too much wear

http://warp9racing.com

Click for a larger shot

Old 11-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #1902
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Thanks for the last update. Wishing you a speedy recovery and happy thanksgiving!

Later
John
Eagletalon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #1903
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Thanks for the last update. Wishing you a speedy recovery and happy thanksgiving!
Later
John
Thanks, John! All cured up now.
Hope you're all having a wonderful Thanksgiving

Old 11-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #1904
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Cool2 Himalayan Panorama

November 29, 2013

A Himalayan panorama. A 270 degree capture of the road from Manali to Leh and the epic view at the start of the Morey Plains. Perfect place to feel insignificant on this massive rock we call home.

See the high res version here: http://bit.ly/morey-pano

Old 11-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #1905
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post

A Himalayan panorama.
So beatiful, thanks for sharing!
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote