User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #301
gsrxrider
GSR X RIDER

Oddometer: 1
Bogota, COLOMBIA

Hey dude, when r u coming to Bogota??? We have a bike community, here, in Bogota, it would be nice to know and hear about your trip. www.potencialimite.com is the website. Please send us a message when u get here. Good Luck, i know u gonna love Colombia!
gsrxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #302
candohome
Notta Poser

Oddometer: 254
Couch in Quito

Looks like we are getting in line to host. Waiting for ya. Lemme know.
US# 507-593-9550
skypename - candohome
candohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #303
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,065
What a great section of the voyage Jay!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #304
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos Equis
That is by far, the most amazing page of a ride report I have ever read!
I'm inspired, humbled and awed!
Thanks for going, sharing, taking such good pictures and writing so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker
Wow, really enjoyed your voyage

Could almost taste the salt air, feel the warm salty breeze and hear the old schooner creaking and banging as she rose and fell in the swells.

From the other end of computer screen, I think this was one of the best legs of your journey, thanks for the sharing.

The crew seem like a very resourceful bunch of lads.
Nice, glad you could feel a bit of what it was like to be there. Yeah, standing on the deck, wasn't long before you were covered in a nice salty mist. Great experience. Was everything I'd imagined it to be and more.
Yup, definitely the most interesting leg of the journey so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla.
That's a great RR update. Most thorough and detailed one I've read about sailing the Gap.

Did you process your bike out of Panama? Or just left without doing the customs paperwork?

Buen Viaje!
Thanks. I had the same question and looks like the bike did not get processed out of Panama. I guess I could've stressed that to the captain, but I'm not planning on coming back anytime soon

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #305
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Whooo Hoooo! You are so lucky to find a good Skipper and crew. Are the Steel Rat guys planning on continuing running passengers or are they moving on to another part of the world?

Loved the pics from the Crow's Nest. Stunning little islands! Can't believe they got your bike into that Zodiac! Wow! They need to find a common concrete boat ramp for loading/unloading. Would be much easier on the cargo Or even a beach?

I looked at your tire ... very impressive at 7000 miles! I looked up Kenda but that tire looks different to yours. I want one of those Kendas! Price is right for sure ($47). We all appreciate all your hard work in doing this excellent ride report. Safe travels! Below is pic I found of K761, yours looks a bit different?
Good crew makes all the difference. For the time being, I think they're planning on still sailing these waters and taking passengers and bikes. Roli told me they have a good thing going in Carti, good relationship with the Kuna Indians, so it might be a few years before they decide to move on to other waters.

I know, even I couldn't believe they were bringing the bike ashore in the dinghy. There was a concrete pier nearby and I presumed they would use that, but I guess since the boat was already anchored, it would've been a major hassle to move a few feet just to unload the bike. Perhaps you could stress that if you have a pretty bike.

Yeah, the Kenda sure is wearing nicely. That's how my tire looked new but once the center wears, as bigdon says, you get a fat wide slick in the middle and I think that contributed to my spill in the rain in Costa Rica (a little too much braking and it slid). Need a water drainage channel in the middle.

I bought tires here in Medellin and was looking for the Kenda K761, but couldn't find it and decided to change brands when I came across a good deal on Metzeler Tourances (made in Brazil). Front and Rear for $107. Going to carry them with me and change as needed.

Anything I need to know about the Tourances? especially the ones made in Brazil???

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 05-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #306
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite
Great leg,

I know sometimes you gotta trust faith to get you there, but considering that there is the alternative to fly over the gap, I think I would've probably done that, for no other reason than the initial cannoe ride.

I know the trip to the San Blas and the sail accross is worthwhile but the V shape cannoe loaded with bike and gear... hum I don't know, risky... risky... don't get me wrong I am sure you thought about this before doing it, and with a 650 far less heavy than the big GS's it might have looked more shaky than it really was. Where you a bit surprised when you saw the cannoe, or is that what you expected?

Great that it worked out, and glad to have you back on 2 wheels.

Ride on Jay.
What's life without a bit of excitement, eh?
Flying is probably the more peace of mind way of doing the gap, but I'm on a super tight budget, so sailing it was.

And yes, I've learned to do what I can and then leave the rest to the Universe to get me there. Things work out, but you must truly believe in the force (the sub-conscious energy that flows through the Universe and makes things happen).

I knew it would be a canoe and wasn't surprised when it pulled up. There was nothing to it. It wasn't even that shaky. Was quite a smooth ride. Once the bike was in the canoe with the planks on either side to stabilize it, you're good to go. I think big GS's have gone on the canoe to the Stahlratte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrxrider
Hey dude, when r u coming to Bogota??? We have a bike community, here, in Bogota, it would be nice to know and hear about your trip. www.potencialimite.com is the website. Please send us a message when u get here. Good Luck, i know u gonna love Colombia!
Hola Amigo, Lo siento, but I will not be coming to Bogota. I have only 22 days to be in Colombia, super strict visa for Indians (the embassy in Costa Rica would only give me exactly 22 days with no possibility to extend). So I will be going straight south to Ecuador. I would've liked to see Bogota and the area.

I've connected with the local motorcycle community here in Medellin, TouringColombia.net. They are taking really good care of me and I met about 30 of their members last night for a ride around the city and dinner. We're going for rides into the Antioquia countryside this weekend.

I'm already loving Colombia, especially the women

Quote:
Originally Posted by candohome
Looks like we are getting in line to host. Waiting for ya. Lemme know.
Thanx amigo, I will give you a message when I am getting near.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
What a great section of the voyage Jay!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #307
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
I bought tires here in Medellin and was looking for the Kenda K761, but couldn't find it and decided to change brands when I came across a good deal on Metzeler Tourances (made in Brazil). Front and Rear for $107. Going to carry them with me and change as needed.

Anything I need to know about the Tourances? especially the ones made in Brazil???
That's the cheapest price for Tourances I've ever heard of! Wow!
I had no idea Metzeler was sold in Brazil ... but makes sense as Pirelli own Metzeler and Pirelli has a huge plant in Brazil. This is great info. I've only heard of Pirelli MT-60's (a race wet tire) and most Metzelers were very expensive in most of S. America. Good to see them competitive with Asian brands.

Tourance (in DR650 sizes) in the US cost about $141 rear, $118 front.
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=200_248_252

You did good. Great road tires but not so good off road. If things get real loose and steep, try lowering down the pressures, should help some with traction/control on loose terrain.

The Tourance last well ... the rear should go even further than the 761 Kenda.

I might be worth it to check in with Migracion about a Visa extension. Maybe go to Bogota or to a central govt. office somewhere? Can't hurt to ask for a 21 day extension. These are normally given in many countries if you show up with a valid visa already.

Rubber side down!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #308
F.P.
Clown who is sick

Oddometer: 386
Jay,
$107 for the Tourances is a steal. Many GS owners, including myself, run Tourances. I ran them for my Prudhoe trip and got 10K miles out of them. Very good road tires, OK for hard pack and kinda loose gravel, sketchy in the mud.
Love the boat trip - I can't imagine them lifting a big GS onto the canoe and getting on and off the Steel Rat. Great story!
Thanks for taking the time to take us along...
Chris and the boys on the hill in Morgan Hill.
(my son at 8 years old)
F.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #309
Donda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
cant wait for pictures in colombia, excelent RR
Donda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #310
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Had a nice weekend of day rides around Medellin with the guys from TouringColombia.com. Great bunch of guys, been treating me really well. I shot good video on the GoPro, but probably going to need some down time before editing and posting that.

Heading into El Cafeteria, the coffee zone tomorrow.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #311
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Talking Video from Colombia

I finally started recording with my GoPro and here's the first video. It's heading up from the small town of Caucasia up the mountains to Medellin. This is a main north-south highway, Route 25. Good quality roads but as expected, lots of trucks and overtaking on coming traffic.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #312
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Oddometer: 706
Great Video. Loved the music
IBA #33096
WOXOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #313
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
That's the cheapest price for Tourances I've ever heard of! Wow!
I had no idea Metzeler was sold in Brazil ... but makes sense as Pirelli own Metzeler and Pirelli has a huge plant in Brazil. This is great info. I've only heard of Pirelli MT-60's (a race wet tire) and most Metzelers were very expensive in most of S. America. Good to see them competitive with Asian brands.

Tourance (in DR650 sizes) in the US cost about $141 rear, $118 front.
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=200_248_252

You did good. Great road tires but not so good off road. If things get real loose and steep, try lowering down the pressures, should help some with traction/control on loose terrain.

The Tourance last well ... the rear should go even further than the 761 Kenda.

I might be worth it to check in with Migracion about a Visa extension. Maybe go to Bogota or to a central govt. office somewhere? Can't hurt to ask for a 21 day extension. These are normally given in many countries if you show up with a valid visa already.

Rubber side down!
Yup, made in Pirelli's plant in Brazil. Ok, sounds like I got a good deal. I knew tires would be priced best in Medellin, because it has the best bike culture here.
Thanks, I already do lower air pressures when I head off-road, so we'll see how well they handle. Yeah, looking forward to them lasting longer. I'm still riding on the Kenda's since the rear has some life left. Maybe I'll change it in Peru...
I thought about visa extension, but another 10 days here should be enough as I have a lot of ground to cover ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.P.
Jay,
$107 for the Tourances is a steal. Many GS owners, including myself, run Tourances. I ran them for my Prudhoe trip and got 10K miles out of them. Very good road tires, OK for hard pack and kinda loose gravel, sketchy in the mud.
Love the boat trip - I can't imagine them lifting a big GS onto the canoe and getting on and off the Steel Rat. Great story!
Thanks for taking the time to take us along...
Chris and the boys on the hill in Morgan Hill.
Good info. Yeah, looking forward to the longer life. Expecting them not to be that good in the mud, would need real knobbies. Let's hope the TransAmazonica is dry

Say hi to the boys and Alex

Old 05-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #314
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
Let's hope the TransAmazonica is dry
The Transamazonica is NEVER dry... It traverses the Amazon Jungle, one of the rainiest parts in the world, so it might be "less wet", but never dry...

You will find plenty of mud even in the dry season.... During the wet season? Even if it is doable (which I doubt because of deep puddles... like above a Land Cruiser's hood deep in the middle of the road) it will not be fun... An adventure ? Oh yeah!

You can expect this on the Tranzamazonica and BR319 (Manaus-Porto Velho) during DRY season (unless they've improved the "road" in the last 3 years)

Not my picture, just using it to illustrate .... for more, go here (skroll down for Amazon Pictures) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314904

I quote from that thread "Fortunately in the Amazon Jungle was the dry season..."

It would be a hell of a ride though
Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #315
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Great video. Nice way to get a feel for the riding down there. Looks like fun.