Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #466
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Outstanding update Jay! That must have been a lot of work! Your pics keep getting better. You covered a LOT of ground in these latest segments. I'm going back to reread some of it. Excellent!

ALL BALLS Bearings = CRAP!!

I've been trying to convince guys these bearings are pure crap for about 3 or 4 years now. SKF are REAL bearings ... should last a very long time. Most Japanese bikes use Koyo bearings, which are also very good.

Trust me, you are not the first to get burned by the Idiots at All Balls. They are simply re-packaged low grade Chinese bearings. Avoid. Glad the delay worked out to be such a delightful time! This is the best of travel.
Thank you. Yup, sorting and posting pix sure does take a lot of time, but hey, it's worth it And yeah, Peru is a big country, lots of diverse settings. Sorry for being late on these posts but breakdown in Bolivia and wanting to get thru Amazon took priority. Pix from Bolivia and Amazon coming over new few weeks.

Too bad I didnt know this about All Balls before. Oh well, lesson learned. But then again, good thing I broke down where I did and had the chance to experience some of southern Peruvian life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla.
BRILLIANT update(s)

You have some VERY good pictures in there also, especially taking into account that you are not using "fancy" equipment.

Ride on!
Thanks! I'm finally getting a polarizing filter for my SLR so let's see how that works in Patagonia... But yup, I think the fanciest tool in my camera kit is my index finger

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #467
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Cool2 Video from Peru: Kuelap to Celendin, Cloud Forest

Here's a video from the dry Andes of remote northern Peru. It's heading from the ruined fortress of Kuelap, near Chachapoyas through the cloud forest along narrow cliff-hugging dirt roads to Celendin and Cajamarca. A beautiful ride.

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #468
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Oddometer: 705
Great Video
IBA #33096
WOXOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #469
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by takimanpgt
ஹொவ் ஆர் யு? யுவர் ஸ்டோரி இஸ் இன்ச்பிரிங் அண்ட் அமேசிங். இ ஹவே பீன் ரீடிங் திஸ் தரித் சிங்கே தி பெகின்னிங் அண்ட் கன்னாட் வெயிட் டு சி யுவர் நேவேஸ்ட் போஸ்ட்ஸ். விஷ் யு தி வெரி பெஸ்ட் இன் யுவர் திருவேல்ஸ்.

போர்கிவே தி தமிழ் ற்றன்ச்லடின் - ற்றிஎது ம ய்பெஸ்ட்!
Hello Tamilian brother! Very nice to see tamil script Thanks for following along. Hopefully I'll make it back to India at some point on this trip and down to Madras. (dont have tamil script here).
I'm staying with a Tamilian friend and we're making rasam today :)
Apuram pakalam, Jayanth

Old 09-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #470
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
Here's a video from the dry Andes of remote northern Peru. It's heading from the ruined fortress of Kuelap, near Chachapoyas through the cloud forest along narrow cliff-hugging dirt roads to Celendin and Cajamarca. A beautiful ride.
Wow!

The vid mentioned that it went like that for 300 kms - did you ride that all in one day, or were there stops along the way so you could take a breather?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #471
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519
Wow!

The vid mentioned that it went like that for 300 kms - did you ride that all in one day, or were there stops along the way so you could take a breather?
The dirt road starts near Chachapoyas and it's 330 kms to Cajamarca. All the video was shot in one day but I started from Kuelap (40 kms up the mountain) and finished in Celendin, about 60 miles/100 kms from Cajamarca and did 230 kms that day. I took my time as you can see, I'm going pretty slow only 1st, 2nd gear, good 1 hr lunch break, stopped for photos, breaks.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #472
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin

Great video. Wonderful views. I bet your CDR trip helped prepare for this portion.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #473
gypsyrr
in flux

Oddometer: 592
Very nice video, Jay. I'm catching up on the report after being gone a few weeks this summer.

Peru is beautiful. I don't know how you didn't stop all along the way just to take a closer look over the edge. The video gave the sensation that you were about to fly around 3:52 or so, when you stood on the pegs. Scared me a moment there!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #474
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOXOF
Great Video
thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWPC
Great video. Wonderful views. I bet your CDR trip helped prepare for this portion.
Yup, totally. Road quality was similar except for the sheer cliffs and I learnt to love nice dirt roads on the CDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyrr
Very nice video, Jay. I'm catching up on the report after being gone a few weeks this summer.

Peru is beautiful. I don't know how you didn't stop all along the way just to take a closer look over the edge. The video gave the sensation that you were about to fly around 3:52 or so, when you stood on the pegs. Scared me a moment there!
Thx Kristy. Yup, lots of beauty in Peru. Haha, I did do that a few times, but didn't want to be risking going over the edge too much
Yeah, figured standing would give a better view of the cliff. The things I do for you guys

Old 09-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #475
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Chain and Sprocket Life Question

I'm wondering if I should replace the chain and sprockets now or can I wait another 3,000 miles till I get to Sao Paulo?

Chain has 15,900 miles on it and sprockets have 18,900 miles on them now. I plan to replace all of them at same time.

Chain is getting loose. I'm at 4 1/6 on my adjustment out of 6 6/6 (7). There are some kinks in the links, but it's running fine.

What do you think? I'd like to wait another 3,000 miles. It's all asphalt from here.

Kinks in the Chain. It's an RK 525XSO.

14 tooth front sprocket coated in Amazon mud. Are the teeth starting to hook?

42T rear sprocket. Looks good?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #476
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Oddometer: 705
Yes, your sprocket is hooking. Also the chain is kinked pretty badly based on the image posted.
Will it make it another 3,000 miles. IMHO, No.
The real question is do you want to risk a chain failure trying to make it another 3000 miles.
If that chain fails while you are at speed, it can do a lot of damage.

Personally, I'd change it now.
IBA #33096
WOXOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #477
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Here is my response from the DR650 thread on Thumpers:

Not so bad for your quoted mileage and considering where you've been!

Kinks are an early sign your chain is finished. The Sprockets look quite worn but might be OK for another 3K. I see "sharpening" on the edges and widening in the pitches (between teeth) Also some hooking on the countershaft ... but compared to Moto Adventure Gal's sprockets ... you're in good shape!

The rear sprocket is clearly worn out ... not quite terminal ... but close. 3000 will be pushing your luck, IMHO. But what else can you do? GO FOR IT! Keep it oiled! Damn the mess ... keep it soaked in 90 wt. Gear oil and keep it adjusted. Hopefully it won't stretch too much more. Don't let it get loose. IT WILL NOT BREAK. No worries there.

This is what I would do:
1. Soak chain in Diesel. Clean it very well, try to work kinks out if you can.
May take a day or two of soaking and cleaning. WD40 is better but I doubt you can get it there. Diesel is OK or Kerosene or some sort of penetrating oil. Kinks can sometimes be "worked" out ... or at least made better. I've recovered a few chains this way.

2. If you have a new counter shaft sprocket handy, put it on NOW. This will help you limp home (to Sao Paulo). (less stress on chain as most wear on chain comes from countershaft sprocket. Unless doing off road, I would go back to a 15T.

3. Replace everything when you can. I hope they can do a rivet link rather than a clip. But if done well, either is OK.

My DID X-Ring VM-2 now up to 23K miles ... still going (couple minor kinks however)

Good luck, safe riding. I hope everyone has been following your Ride Report here on ADV.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #478
Linhares
OSM addicted

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
WD40 is better but I doubt you can get it there.
You can find WD40 in every corner here in Brazil.

Jay,
you are doing an awesome adventure!
It's a pity you won't come to Brasília, the capital city. By the way, Fortaleza is a much bigger city than São Luís, where you are. There, I think, will be more easy to find things that you need.

Abraços,
Linhares
Old 09-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #479
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOXOF
Yes, your sprocket is hooking. Also the chain is kinked pretty badly based on the image posted.
Will it make it another 3,000 miles. IMHO, No.
The real question is do you want to risk a chain failure trying to make it another 3000 miles.
If that chain fails while you are at speed, it can do a lot of damage.

Personally, I'd change it now.
Yes, I think you're right. The next section, I actually can't risk being late because I have to take some exams in Sao Paulo (for the masters I'm studying for) so I think to be on the safe side, I should change it here.

Quote:
The rear sprocket is clearly worn out ... not quite terminal ... but close. 3000 will be pushing your luck, IMHO. But what else can you do? GO FOR IT! Keep it oiled! Damn the mess ... keep it soaked in 90 wt. Gear oil and keep it adjusted. Hopefully it won't stretch too much more. Don't let it get loose. IT WILL NOT BREAK. No worries there.
Thanks for your ever prompt and detailed replies! Much appreciated
but I think now, I'm going to try and change it here, instead of pushing it since I can't afford an accident and being late in getting to Sao Paulo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linhares
You can find WD40 in every corner here in Brazil.
Jay,
you are doing an awesome adventure!
It's a pity you won't come to Brasília, the capital city. By the way, Fortaleza is a much bigger city than São Luís, where you are. There, I think, will be more easy to find things that you need.
Abraços,
Linhares
Oi Linhares! Yes, sorry, would have liked to visit Brasilia, but you have one massive country that needs a year to properly visit everywhere
Yes, I know other cities will have more supplies, but I have a close friend here and that's why I'm staying here for a few weeks. thx.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #480
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Question Front Tire Cupping. Serious issue?

In relation to my above post, any dangers in running a front tire that's cupped?

It's a Kenda K761 with 15,900 miles. I've recently been through wet mud and about 2000 miles of dirt roads, handled just fine. Next leg is 3000 miles of asphalt. What do you say?

Definitely feels a bit funny on asphalt, but no handling issues. Can I get another 3000 miles out of it?