eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:06 AM   #977
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
you get the clutch arm gasket out?
Yup, just pried it out with a sharp knife. It sits in a pocket there. And then just pushed the new gasket on.

Where should I be using anti-sieze compound instead of locktite blue?
I put the anti-sieze on exhaust related bolts (header, mid-pipe). Should I put it on the foot peg bolts or is locktite red better for that?

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #978
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

I had a crazy situation today: I did a routine valve check and after buttoning things up, I thought I'd check on the inner spark plug and after spinning it out for two turns, it wouldn't budge anymore. I went back in and came out and got stuck at the same place. I applied some penetrating fluid and still no budge, so gave a bit more force and voila, I snapped the electrode and broke the thread off of the spark plug. Very wierd issue. I was immediately thinking of how to get a replacement cylinder head and my ferry for Egypt leaves in 4 days.

The white piece of the electrode you see in the picture was dangling in the lower half of the spark plug. Took it to a local mechanic and he drilled out the old threads and managed to rethread it, but the plug wouldn't stop spinning as it was only catching a few threads. He didn't have a small enough heli-coil and we couldn't go to a fatter spark plug as the wrench wouldnt be able to fit in the tight area. So, final solution I have now is that the re-threaded threads were bashed in a bit to provide a better grip and then we applied red locktite to seal a new spark plug in its place. It's not coming out and I need to find a replacement cylinder head, but Im good to go for the next few months. They were thinking of just plugging the hole and running on just one spark plug, but I said, if you're going to plug the hole, why not plug it with a new spark plug.

They think it was either because a) the spark plug was cross-threaded the last time it was put in and that was the first time I let anyone else work on my bike on this whole trip (which was at a really good shop in Sao Paulo, who did lots of other great work on the bike), or b) the spark plug was left loose in there and the heat buildup in the gap siezed the head material onto the threads preventing it from coming out. You can see the busted plug was not seated flush with the head.

Im kicking myself cause Ive been so good with spark plugs all these years and the one time I hand her over, sometime like this happens. I guess this adds weight to the mantra "no one cares about your bike as much as you do."

Lukas in Vienna says he has a spare cylinder head, but I wont be able to get on my hands on it before my boat leaves. I think I can make it down to South Africa and then source a new cylinder head there.

I should get an award for having the craziest issues (I also managed to snap the tip of my jet needle).

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 04-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #979
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Oddometer: 706
That sucks Jay.
IBA #33096
WOXOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #980
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
You're a survivor Jay!
Good job on the improv job!

If you read my response to your post on the big DR thread about Anti-Seize, you will see I listed Spark Plugs as one place I use it. I should have mentioned I've had a couple VERY Close calls removing and replacing plugs. MAN ... it is very easy to cross thread plugs on the DR. The Anti-Seize acts as a lubricant and helps plugs thread up correctly. Next time.

If it happens again ... when the plug gets STUCK ... I would screw it back in ... start motor and, let it get HOT. Then try again to remove again. Can sometimes help.

Anyway ... sounds like you're OK for now. But start the motor and LISTEN! You will hear it if that plug is not sealing 100%. Motor will have a very different sound. It really needs to seal tight and not let any air out during combustion. Really surprised the mechanic was not able to simply use a tap to "clean up" the existing threads. I guess they were too damaged to save? Did you get all the metal and ceramic pieces out of the cylinder?

I'll keep an eye out for a good Cylinder head for you. Will PM you if one comes up. Need anything else? Correct size Heli-Coil? Maybe Lucas could "overnight ship" his to you?

Good luck, ride safe.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 04-29-2011 at 08:30 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #981
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider14 View Post
Good luck with the next leg of the journey
- Dan
thx, new chapter coming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorHeath View Post
Jay was this the tightest area for Gas on the entire trip from Colombia down? What in your opinion is the minimum range needed in Km's for a bike today in SA on the routes you took?
Thanks in particular for page 64 an excellent resource!
Trevor
Yeah, in the Amazon, there are stretches where 400 km range is needed and also on Ruta 40 in southern Argentina, there isn't easy gas from the town of Perito Moreno down to Tres Lagos, 460 kms away. But in between, you can go off route for 70 kms to a town with gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu260r6 View Post
Have you checked out the recent violence in Southern Sudan in the past week? I was thinking of traveling through there this summer, and I might reconsider if it escalates to a full blown insurgancy. Are you planning on getting the visa in Cairo? I might use your expierence to gauge whether or not I'll go.
Yes, I'm monitoring what's happening there, but the usual route doesn't go thru southern Sudan, so even if things turn worse, it should still be ok to transit thru the northern part from Wadi Halfa down to Khartoum and then east to Ethiopia. Yes, planning to get the visa in Cairo. I'm hoping my Indian passport will help me instead of hinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil04074 View Post
I just joined this RR a couple of days ago and have a lot of reading to catch up on, but it only took a couple of pages before I sent 20 dollars to Paypal to your account.

I figured just your methodical methods and lists at the beginning of the RR were worth the price. I especially like your effective use of CouchSurfing and your emphasis of meeting people. Ride safe!
Sweet, thanks! Yeah, the scenery you can always enjoy from the photos, but the thing you take away from actually traveling is the experiences you had and meeting people usually leaves the strongest impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorHeath View Post
Jay,
I'm sorry if I missed the discussion, (I did go back and search around page 55) but can you tell me what the passage cost from (which port in South America) to Hamburg?
Thanks
Trevor
Hey Trevor, yeah, forgot to mention the price (still need to post the Atlantic crossing pictures), but you can board the boat only in Buenos Aires and then get down in 4 ports in Europe (Hamburg, Tilbury UK, Antwerp, Le Havre). It costs Euro 2,200 for the bike and single person. If a couple is traveling, it's a bit cheaper as single person has to pay for the whole cabin. Not a bad deal considering it's 26 days and you get 3 meals and transport across an ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg View Post
Hey Jay!
It was nice to meet you the other day at Silke and Ollie's. Good luck with your trip... We're stilling drinking the Applewein! Not too much music though.
Dave, nice to have met you in Frankfurt and again here in Switzerland. Yeah for touring DR family

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy View Post
Good stuff Jay!
It's always nice when you can barter
We all got something we can contribute

Old 05-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #982
SUZOKI
Going East

Oddometer: 12
Hi jay...love you`r ride report.Don't wont to sound to discouraging about spark plug problem....but to me you sound very optimistic the way is fixed it is going to last all the way to S.Africa.

Best of luck

SUZOKI screwed with this post 05-01-2011 at 01:48 PM
SUZOKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #983
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Of all the DR650 people out there ... can't think of many more knowledgeable than Lukas. I'm sure he could solve the mystery. I don't have a clue on this really. Might be worth a trip up to Vienna?

As you know, many have reported the noise you are hearing but I don't think anyone has had a failure related to the starter (except the '99/00 DR's.) Send Lukas your pics ... I bet he knows this stuff.

Good luck, have fun in Italia!
Yeah, if my EU visa wasn't running out, I'd head up to Vienna and try and figure out this starter gear noise with Lukas, but now, I'll just live with it and hope it isn't doing any damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
That sucks Jay.
Tis life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
You're a survivor Jay!
Good job on the improv job!

If you read my response to your post on the big DR thread about Anti-Seize, you will see I listed Spark Plugs as one place I use it. I should have mentioned I've had a couple VERY Close calls removing and replacing plugs. MAN ... it is very easy to cross thread plugs on the DR. The Anti-Seize acts as a lubricant and helps plugs thread up correctly. Next time.

If it happens again ... when the plug gets STUCK ... I would screw it back in ... start motor and, let it get HOT. Then try again to remove again. Can sometimes help.

Anyway ... sounds like you're OK for now. But start the motor and LISTEN! You will hear it if that plug is not sealing 100%. Motor will have a very different sound. It really needs to seal tight and not let any air out during combustion. Really surprised the mechanic was not able to simply use a tap to "clean up" the existing threads. I guess they were too damaged to save? Did you get all the metal and ceramic pieces out of the cylinder?

I'll keep an eye out for a good Cylinder head for you. Will PM you if one comes up. Need anything else? Correct size Heli-Coil? Maybe Lucas could "overnight ship" his to you?

Good luck, ride safe.
Good tip about starting the motor to get things hot. I'll remember that. Yeah, he said there wasn't much metal left to save the threads. Yes, please keep an eye out for a cylinder head, but I'm thinking there should be one available in South Africa. Lukas has one, but not sure how to get it now...

So, I rebuilt the top end yesterday and everything went well today. Bike runs great. No missing bolts and no spewing oil Sealed spark plug looks solid in there. First time I've re-assembled the top end myself Bike is ready to go and tomorrow heading to Lake Como and then Tuesday into Venice for the ferry.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #984
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Fookin hell Jay, you have had the worst luck. But look at it this way, youre getting to be pretty handy working on the DR. Its hard to believe that Rogerio cross threaded that plug, he is an excellent mechanic, but some of the other guys working in that shop, not so much.

Good to see you all buttoned up and back on the road.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #985
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Africa is here I landed a day early in Alexandria, since the ship isn't stopping in Syria right now. Ship voyage was good but it was a very windy passage with some sea sickness. Met 2 Dutch bikers heading the same way, going to South Africa in 4 months.

Egyptian customs was a bit of a circus act. While we were told to stay upstairs to get sorted through immigration, they manhandled the bike down in the hold trying to read the VIN number and in turn dropped the bike, breaking my windshield And they slimed their way out of any responsibility. I tried to throw a fuss, but didn't want to jeopardize any of my processing. Bastids. To top it off, they entered the info from a traveling Mercedes CLS into my carnet! That's two pages of this precious carnet spent on Egypt. Along with a carnet, we had to pay 505 Egyptian Pounds ($85) to temporarily import the bikes, plus another LE115 ($20) for Egyptian license plates, driving permit and insurance. Adding the $600+ to add Egypt to the carnet, this has been one expensive country to enter, but at least it's cheap once you get here.

Besides the customs issues, they only gave me a 3 day visa onboard, so it's off to the immigration office tomorrow to extend it to a month, like the Dutch guys got.

All is good now and staying with Manuel thru CouchSurfing, a French expat engineer. Had some good falafel and foul (bean paste) for dinner.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #986
Wildbill650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
WOW!! Its good to hear that your trip is going well. I am subscribed and enjoying the stories. Keep safe and enjoy the ride.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #987
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

All about the Carnet de Passage

I wrote this reply to Mark (Misery Goat) all about the carnet and thought I would post it for future reference:

The Carnet de Passage is not that big of a headache as people make it out to be. It is a serious piece of paperwork, but pretty straightforward. For US residents, you have to go through the Canadian Automobile Association since the AAA is not a member of the FIA, so they can't issue the carnet, which is an official FIA document. You have to deal with Suzanne Danis (SDanis@national.caa.ca) at the CAA who is top notch. She is very responsive and helpful and knows all about overlanders. I think Grant Johnson established the connection when they set about on their trip. You can apply for it all through email (scanned documents) and she will FedEx the carnet wherever you want.

Click here to see the high resolution version.

The fee for the carnet is $650 for AAA members or $100 more for non-members, so better to become a AAA member and get the discount.
Get on the http://www.caa.ca website and use the carnet cost calculator to figure out your costs. Just to be clear - the point of the carnet is that the issuing auto club is telling the customs people of the country you visit that if you dont leave the country with your bike, that country can claim the import duty from the issuing club. In less developed countries, the import duties are usually more than 100% the value of the vehicle (to discourage foreign imports and protect local auto industries). Most countries in Africa are usually around the 250% mark and Kenya is at 500% and then Egypt tops the list at 800%. Iran and India are both at 500%.

To get your carnet, there are two options based on the value of your bike and the countries you're visiting: the indemnity (insurance) or bank guarantee. The indemnity is where you're basically paying an insurance premium to cover the import duty cost of your bike but you only get back 43% of the premium you paid when you return your carnet. The other option is the bank guarantee, where you basically put aside enough money in a certain bank account to cover the cost of your carnet and you get back all of this, but there's an additional fee that the bank takes of $2,000. I'm not sure how the bank guarantee amount is figured out but the minimum is $5,000 and for a bike valued at $10,000, you have to set aside $10,000 (depending on the country).

My bike was valued at $1,400 and for my original carnet, which was for all the countries in Africa except Egypt, the insurance premium cost $540 and I would get back $232 on return. So, total cost after returning the carnet with the $650 fee would be $957.

As you know, my plans changed and I had to add Egypt to my carnet. That changed the insurance premium to $1,209, with me getting back $520 on return with a total cost of $1,338. I paid the difference to the CAA and the French Auto Club in Paris amended my carnet (basically writing on it saying it was valid for Egypt).

One of the reasons I went with an old, used bike was so that carnet wouldn't be a deal breaker for Africa. Playing around with the cost calculator, it looks like for bikes worth less than $4,000, the indemnity works out as the cheaper overall option and for higher value bikes, the bank guarantee costs less. To get the value of the bike, I think the CAA determines it from NADA or something similar. I told them the bike was valued at $1700 when I bought it and now it was worth $1200, which they revised up to $1400.

Using the carnet is pretty straight forward and the customs people know what to do (mostly). It is a booklet with 25 sheets. On each sheet, there are three sections, one for the import customs office, one for the export customs office and one for your records. When you enter a country, the import customs has to fill out and stamp all three sections and they tear away the lower section for their records. When you leave the country, export customs has to fill out and stamp the middle section and the top section and then they tear away the middle section for their records, leaving you with the top section with an import stamp and export stamp. This is crucial. When you return your carnet to the issuing auto club, all the stamps have to match up, so it's up to you to make sure before you leave the customs office that all is in order.

Click here to see the high resolution version.

More and more countries are moving away from the carnet and issuing their own temporary import document, like all of the Americas (except Brazil when you enter by ship). However, the less developed countries are still clinging onto it, which is mostly in Africa, the Middle East, still India and countries like South Africa and Australia, who I think just love the bureaucracy they inherited from the British.

Luke and Nick made it up from South Africa to Djibouti without carnets (cause they bought expensive new bikes), so ask them for details on that. Also, on the ferry from Venice to Alexandria, the papers the shipping company gave us indicated that you can enter Egypt without a carnet, but you'll have to leave the deposit at customs when you enter and supposedly, you will get it back when you leave. I can't say whether that's true or not.

I just entered my first country with the carnet and I'll let you know if I run into any other issues.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #988
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUZOKI View Post
Hi jay...love you`r ride report.Don't wont to sound to discouraging about spark plug problem....but to me you sound very optimistic the way is fixed it is going to last all the way to S.Africa.
Best of luck
Hey mate, yeah, the thing is I am very realistic when I encounter a problem and run through all possible options and assess the outcomes and then when I'm out of options, I go with what I have and become an optimist

Also, the thing is I feel I have a good handle on how to judge advise. So, when this experienced mechanic in Switzerland told me the spark plug was going to hold for at least 20,000 kms or more, I went with it. I've ridden about 700 kms so far and it looks good. If it does become loose, I'll just plug up that hole and run on one spark, shouldn't be that big of a deal. Thanks for your concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Fookin hell Jay, you have had the worst luck. But look at it this way, youre getting to be pretty handy working on the DR. Its hard to believe that Rogerio cross threaded that plug, he is an excellent mechanic, but some of the other guys working in that shop, not so much.
Good to see you all buttoned up and back on the road.
Tell me about it, I tore down that cylinder head in 20 minutes and the next day, put everything back together with no extra bolts lying around I was a little weary about dealing with the camshaft and it's alignment, but no problems with that. I'm also a master of the cam chain tensioner by now

Yeah, I think one of the younger guys at the shop were putting the head back together, but no need to blame anyone now. It's done and it's fixed.

The story just keeps getting all the more twisted. Now, I'm running a DR with one permanently sealed spark plug. I wouldn't be surprised if I finish the trip with some random Chinese motor in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill650 View Post
WOW!! Its good to hear that your trip is going well. I am subscribed and enjoying the stories. Keep safe and enjoy the ride.
Thanks for the support

Old 05-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #989
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if I finish the trip with some random Chinese motor in there.
Thanks for the support

The DR/Pulsar 180?

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 AM   #990
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
The DR/Pulsar 180?
Hey, I could use a sponsorship from Bajaj (Indian company that makes the Pulsar) to make the last leg home...

So, I got refused for a visa extension. The lady at immigration told me it was impossible to grant an extension and I have to leave the country and come back with a new visa. Umm, that's not going to happen. A passport fixer in line told me not to worry about it and usually you just pay a fine if you overstay your visa and he said they don't even look most of the time. So, I'm just going to wing it down in Aswan.

Falafel on the streets of Alexandria. It's a fried patty made from chickpeas and fava beans served inside a lafa (flat bread). Super tasty and cheap at about $0.15 for a falafel sandwich