Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #91
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,101
Love the idea of the solar panel--hope that works out as intended. Very nice photos of all the modifications.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #92
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,154
Subscribed
Safe travels!

Old 03-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #93
pablito
KLRer in SF

Oddometer: 16
Jay

Best of luck on your ride. Looking at your route map got me really excited.

I took a year off once to travel the world; changed my life for the better.

I am glad you made it to my home town with such great weather. I hope SF treated you well. I look forward to future posts.

All the best, Paul
pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #94
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
Dave, the cabin was great, had all the comforts needed. Winds were crazy strong at night, had to get up and make sure bike wasnt blown over, lol. Thx

Made it to San Jose, staying with rider I met on my Alaska trip, Chris. Shoulders are sore after 3 days of riding into the chilly wind. Just my luck that the whole of CA is in a cold spell :( Looking forward to warmer weather across the border.

Over next few days going to service the bike, mount new tires, unload some items and repack.

Details on dinner to come soon. Plan for Friday around 7 pm or later in the city.
Best of luck as you head South!
I see your DR is very heavily loaded. I'm wondering if you've actually weighed up everything? Mounting racks, Boxes and contents, tool tubes and tools, spares and everything else.

I found my DR got pretty weird with a lot of weight off road. I'm glad you've fitted a fork brace and steering damper. I need to do this too, but I will now travel with soft bags and with 60 lbs. less weight than before. Not easy.

I can't recall if you upgraded the suspension on your DR? From the pics, I noticed your DR looks like its riding just a bit "low" in the travel? I've got a Ohlins in the rear and heavier springs up front. I like it, handles luggage pretty well, even on rough roads (off road) at speed.

I will be following your reports to see how things go. My set up is not as complex as yours but I love the ideas you've got going with the Solar panels et al. I've only got 30K miles on my DR (this one is my 3rd) and its running like new. (fingers crossed!)

What tires have you decided on? If you're not doing much off road, I could recommend Avon Distanzia's. Long wearing and versatile tires. I got about
8500 miles on a rear in mixed touring. (on/off road)

May all the luck be with you! Hope to see you down the road somewhere!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #95
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
Jay, the solar panel only produces 10W. Was it not possible to upgrade your generator to a higher output? That would give you extra wattage 24/7, as opposed to maybe 12/7 or less for the panel. Additionally, it probably would have upped it far more than 10 W.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #96
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobIAm
Jay, the solar panel only produces 10W. Was it not possible to upgrade your generator to a higher output? That would give you extra wattage 24/7, as opposed to maybe 12/7 or less for the panel. Additionally, it probably would have upped it far more than 10 W.
You can re-wire the stator as outlined by the Pro Cycle guy in his DIY instructions. This gives 50 watts more but at idle you lose a bit of output. A good move, IMO. At 3000 rpm you gain 50 watts over stock. Will not damage Reg./Rect., stator, battery or pick up ignitor coil.

I don't run many accessories on my DR, after all, it's not a BMW. But I can run my 77 watt Gerbing and 24 watt Symtec grips (on high) and a GPS all day by simply switching off the headlight. This extra 50 watts seems to do the trick, as I've run this set up on many 10 hour days, back to back in very cold weather. At night, well then you've got to lower the heat on the jacket and run grips on low. Even then the batt may discharge some in four or five hours of riding.

You could also install HID headlight (uses 35 watt and is brighter!) and LED tail lights to save a few more precious watts. I would also carry a Battery Tender Waterproof with me. This charger can sit out in the rain overnight no problem and will recharge a dead DR battery in about 3 to 5 hours to 100%. Trips like Jay's are best begun with BRAND NEW batteries, which even with discharging, will usually last a year or so at least and longer if you keep it charged.
Heat kills batteries and constant total discharge is not great for them either.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #97
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
We're ready for you in downtown San Diego Jay! I have the vintage bikes ready for Palomar so let's get it on!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #98
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
Best of luck as you head South!
I see your DR is very heavily loaded. I'm wondering if you've actually weighed up everything? Mounting racks, Boxes and contents, tool tubes and tools, spares and everything else.

I found my DR got pretty weird with a lot of weight off road. I'm glad you've fitted a fork brace and steering damper. I need to do this too, but I will now travel with soft bags and with 60 lbs. less weight than before. Not easy.

I can't recall if you upgraded the suspension on your DR? From the pics, I noticed your DR looks like its riding just a bit "low" in the travel? I've got a Ohlins in the rear and heavier springs up front. I like it, handles luggage pretty well, even on rough roads (off road) at speed.

I will be following your reports to see how things go. My set up is not as complex as yours but I love the ideas you've got going with the Solar panels et al. I've only got 30K miles on my DR (this one is my 3rd) and its running like new. (fingers crossed!)

What tires have you decided on? If you're not doing much off road, I could recommend Avon Distanzia's. Long wearing and versatile tires. I got about
8500 miles on a rear in mixed touring. (on/off road)

May all the luck be with you! Hope to see you down the road somewhere!
Thanks, I'm going to need a lot of luck

I havent had the chance to weigh everything (do they still allow you to ride onto the truck scales on the freeway?) but with almost the same configuration on my Alaska trip, at the end of that I had to ship everything I mounted on the bike (luggage rack, boxes and all contents) and that came out to 150 lbs. I'm probably taking more tools now, but less food, but it's in the range of 150 - 200 lbs. I weigh about 155 lbs.

Yeah, I really wanted to go as light as possible and did my Mexico trip with saddle bags, but now that I'm going to be gone for a long time and need to depend on the bike to carry all my possessions, I have to live with boxes and the added weight. When I went on my Continental Divide trip last year, it was mainly to make sure that this configuration was ok in offroad conditions. The CDR isn't all that technical offroad but that's about the kind of roads I'll probably experience on my trip, lots of hard pack, some loose gravel, some small rocks. And the bike handled good through there, rear brake working effectively and I only dropped it once cause I was going too fast into an unexpected downhill and grabbed the front brakes, oops. But no damage to anything and I could even pick up the bike on a downhill, so no worries there.

I thought a lot about soft bags, but I'm thinking I need the secured safety of belongings in lands down south. Plus the additional cargo volume I feel is essential as I'm trying to be as self-reliant as possible regarding break downs and surviving (camping equipment).

Yup, my DR has progressive springs in the front with fork brace and steering damper and stiffer rear spring with Larry Roesler shock. Yeah, it was sitting too low, so I've cranked the spring up a bit and set sag. Feels better now.

I need to be on a tight budget in order to pull off this trip, so I'm going with Kenda K761's, they're a 70/30 tire and the rear lasts about 8K miles. I did my Alaska trip on them and it handled the Dalton and Top of the World highway no problem. I air down when needed and am quite disciplined about tire management. I've gotten 9,000 miles out of the Kenda K270's, a 50/50 tire that I did my CDR trip on and rode out to San Francisco on. Also, I know that Kenda's are available south of the border (got some in Mexico, hopefully should be available in Colombia or Equador).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobIAm
Yeah, I know the solar panel seems like a lot more complexity and weight for just 10 extra watts, but the idea is also that if I'm camping in some remote place for a few days with no electricity, I'd still like access to my laptop and this will allow me to charge it and other gadgets (phone, camera, ipod) without running the bike.

Also, I'm hoping to spread the word about clean energy and living more sustainably and hope to get some discussions started with it. I know it looks pretty crazy on a motorcycle, but I hope it works out, haha.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #99
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
You can re-wire the stator as outlined by the Pro Cycle guy in his DIY instructions. This gives 50 watts more but at idle you lose a bit of output. A good move, IMO. At 3000 rpm you gain 50 watts over stock. Will not damage Reg./Rect., stator, battery or pick up ignitor coil.

I don't run many accessories on my DR, after all, it's not a BMW. But I can run my 77 watt Gerbing and 24 watt Symtec grips (on high) and a GPS all day by simply switching off the headlight. This extra 50 watts seems to do the trick, as I've run this set up on many 10 hour days, back to back in very cold weather. At night, well then you've got to lower the heat on the jacket and run grips on low. Even then the batt may discharge some in four or five hours of riding.

You could also install HID headlight (uses 35 watt and is brighter!) and LED tail lights to save a few more precious watts. I would also carry a Battery Tender Waterproof with me. This charger can sit out in the rain overnight no problem and will recharge a dead DR battery in about 3 to 5 hours to 100%. Trips like Jay's are best begun with BRAND NEW batteries, which even with discharging, will usually last a year or so at least and longer if you keep it charged.
Heat kills batteries and constant total discharge is not great for them either.
I know about Jeff (procycle)'s stator rewire and looked into it for a long time but decided not to mess with the generator system, leaning more on reliability. I checked and measured the specs of all the components in the system (generator, rectifier, wiring harness) and everything looked good, but still not enough juice, so that's why I decided to go the solar route.

I do have 2 Solstice Solo 10W LED lights and a switch to turn off the main head light and I've been running in that configuration while on divided highways in day light since daytime lights are mainly for presence in rear view mirrors of other vehicles, but turn them all on at night and wow, the light thrown is pretty nice. The LED lights are mounted at a slight angle and that produces a wide light pattern that I like. I have a battery voltage monitor and can see about 0.5 extra volts coming out of the battery with main headlight off.

Yup, started with a new battery and it's healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben
We're ready for you in downtown San Diego Jay! I have the vintage bikes ready for Palomar so let's get it on!
Sweeet! Can't wait for Palomar, have been dreaming about it for so long.
In my sport touring days on the Suzuki GSX-R600 I've ridden Deals Gap, Blue Ridge Parkway, Lolo Pass and I feel Palomar Mtn would complete a tour of the most awesome twisty roads in the US
(I'm sure there's more to ride here, so I'll be back )

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos

Jammin screwed with this post 03-18-2010 at 01:07 AM
Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #100
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Question

DR Questions:

I've done the air box mod, with an opening cut in the top but every time I ride through a lot of rain (return from CDR trip and coming here to SF), I get water collecting in the air box. I have a Corbin seat and Aqualine Safari tank and that's all sealed up and mated nicely and tight. There's nothing I can do now, but want to know if I can just remove the airbox water drain plug and just run it like that or is that a concern for proper air intake or even water intake during rain. Of course if crossing a stream, I'll plug it back up. What do you think? Or should I just leave it on and open it after riding through rain to drain any water in there?

Can someone confirm again what engine temperatures are a danger. I have the Vaportech with the engine temp sensor around the spark plug against the head. I was told normal running range is around 260-290F and danger is getting close to 350F. While running around SF getting parts, etc, temps climbed to 320F in stop n go traffic and I turned off and waited till it dropped before going again.

Besides that, bike is all ready to go again. Mounted new tires, Kenda K761, new chain, valve check, rearranged a few things and mounted more spares onto the bike (to clear up space in the boxes). Heading south tomorrow to Paso Robles and then onto San Diego. Planning to cross the border from Arizona since I'm skipping Baja and heading to the mainland and dont want to cross at Tijuana and ride along the border there.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #101
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Sounds good Jay. You've done enough miles on your DR to know what works for you. When I traveled in Latin America I did not camp. Once in a while I missed camping. When stuck somewhere I'd ask in villages for someone who could take me in for the night. My Spanish is fair as I spent 7 years working, traveling, living there. (Guat. El Salvador, Argentina)

Sounds like you can handle the DR well off road, this is a good thing if you plan to get off the Pan Am and see interior regions. You could spend years
doing side trips/exploring.

I'm impressed by your tire reports. The Kendas sound awesome, and YES they are available in Latin America. Cheaper than most others. 8000 miles is excellent! I just put the Kenda on my list! (I've only used the K270)

Sounds like you are right on top of the electrical issues I'm sure you'll be fine as you're paying attention. I hope you have an electric jacket, you'll need it in the highlands, especially the Alti-plano in Peru' and Bolivia. Gets cold up there. I like it because my main riding jacket can be lighter and vent better and I can go with fewer layers in the cold. My Gerbing packs small. Well worth it but do note the current draw.

Air box
I've ridden in rain but never noticed water in the air box. My air box top is cut off, a La Jesse air box mod. I use a Filter Skins cover in very dusty conditions. Keeps filter clean(er).

DR's do pump some oil from the crankcase to the air box, especially on a new motor .... or if you overfill oil level a bit. I drain it off using the drain tube. You may find the lower sealing lip of the air filter soaked with oil at times. This is pretty normal if you are running on the highway at 75 mph all day. Thumpers do pump a bit of oil at higher RPM's.

I've only crossed water to just above the skid plate, not very deep. No water in air box. Use the drain tube and keep water drained out .... and YES ... do keep the drain tube ON and plugged up. Do not leave cap off as it would suck dirt and water in. Only remove Cap to drain.

Also keep in mind you have a crankcase vent hose that enters the air box. (this is where the oil comes from) Make sure that rubber hose stays in place, is not ever kinked and is free flowing. (mine popped once after I was fiddling with the shock ... pain to put back on, hard to get to)

I am not sure, but I think it may have a ONE WAY anti-back flow valve on it to prevent WATER or FUEL going from the air box back into the crankcase. If this hose does not have a one way valve, I would consider putting one in-line to prevent water ever going into crankcase in the event you fall in a river crossing. This has been a disaster for other RTW riders in the past. (see Colebatch's BAM road thread) I plan on doing this to my bike, have not done it yet as its a pain to get to.

Heat/Engine Temps and the DR
If your engine is correct and it seems to be, then just forget the temp. gauge. I would disconnect it, it will only bring worry. You do not want to know and in any case there is NOTHING you can do!

Best I can suggest is run good Synthetic oil and relax. I have ridden through Death Valley a couple times in extreme temps (118F). One ride, after hours riding I stopped and let bike idle. I just wanted to listen to the motor. I removed helmet and ear plugs (don't ride without them) and just listened to the DR motor. At this point it had been running hard for hours at 75 to 80 mph. It honestly never sounded better. Perfect. Very impressive.

Read up on the Suzuki SACS Air/Oil cooling system. Its really quite good, was developed for road racing in the 1990's. Basically, your DR will never over heat, but of course do try to keep moving. You were right to turn it off when stuck in traffic. I do this too .... can't help myself, even though I know the motor never really gets hot enough to do damage.

Synthetic oil makes all the difference with an Air/Oil cooled motor.

I hope you will post your RR link over on the BIG DR650 thread. There are some really good mechanics over there as well as dealers (Jeff at ProCycle) among others. I know they would all love to help you out anyway they can.

!Suerte!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #102
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

First Leg: Chicago to San Francisco

March 5 - 16, 2010

With everything finally buttoned up in Chicago, I was ready to hit the road and head south. I was definitely nervous the last night before leaving as is normal, however, I was now ready and there was nothing to worry about and I actually got some good sleep one last time in my bedroom, on the floor since the bed was sold. :)

On the morning of March 5th, I said my good byes to my shelter and life here in Chicago and as I rolled out of the garage one last time, the butterflies in me were free and I was comfortable and excited knowing that there was no turning back to this previous life and I had taken a step into a new chapter.

Even though temperatures were about 22F in the morning, I knew things would warm up as I was heading straight south out of Illinois to Memphis. I was riding around the cold and avoiding crossing the high passes of the Rockies because there was still snow up there.

The plan for the first leg was to head to San Francisco to regroup at my friend Shridhar's place. We both connected after my Mexico trip and have been discussing this trip since then and I figured I needed a forward staging location, as such, from Chicago so that if something wasn't working on the bike, I could rearrange things before heading for the border. I also shipped a few last minute things to Shridhar that wouldn't have arrived in time.

The ride wasn't too cold and I was happy to be jammin to my tunes, on my motorcycle, heading south.

Stayed with Gabe in Memphis on the first night through CouchSurfing and we went out for a nice dinner on Balboa in the downtown area.

I'm going to miss the Mid-West. Check out the crazy headline, haha. Somewhere in Arkansas.

Seeing my first long horn in Forth Worth, Texas. Even though I lived just a few hours south while going to Texas A&M, never saw a proper long horn.

James, my host from ADV (texasyeti) with the full horns.

He treated me out to an awesome steak dinner at the revived stockyard and I like it rare.

James has a few bikes and here is a classic BMW Dakar.

And he's a dog person. Dog people are always good people in my books. Cute beagle.

His other dog is this cute pit bull, Gidget. They're such lovely dogs and too bad they suffer a bad reputation. I lived with one for a while that a housemate had and really enjoyed how smart and lovable those dogs are. Pouring over a map to see what excitement lay ahead as I went through West Texas heading to Las Cruces.

Riding into the sun near El Paso, where the road finally got interesting as elevation climbed and the road twisted a bit.

Staying with John from ADV (barko1) in Las Cruces. He also belongs to the purple frame DR club :) And he was actually flying out the next day to Australia to borrow a DR from an ADV member to ride it across from Sydney to Perth.

Heading out into 40F temps and a strong head wind. Just my luck that when I get to the lower latitudes a cold spell swung into place. The head winds were quite strong through Arizona and I figured it was training for the winds of Patagonia.

Staying with Dave from ADV (dave6253) in Phoenix.

He's got a KTM 990 Adventure and an Aprillia sport touring bike. He's a prolific ride report poster on ADV and I got some photo editing tips from him (Adobe Lightroom).

Packing up the bike in the morning. Here comes living out of a pannier for the next few years.

Leaving Dave's house under the auspiciousness of grand saguaro cacti.

Taking US-60 across west Arizona towards California. Wasn't that exciting but had to change it up from riding so much Interstate. Battling head winds all day long.

At least all that wind was being put to good use here in eastern California at this massive sprawling wind farm. There must've been over a hundred windmill towers and they were all spinning fast.

Staying at David from ADV (scorpion)'s lair in the high desert outside Los Angeles in Landers.

Cooking up a spaghetti and pinto bean meal after a chilly and windy day. Winds were battling hard all night and I got up once to make sure the bike hadn't been blown over.

Heading north through California up to the Bay Area. I didn't realize the pass between Mojave and Bakersfield would be as cold as it was. It was snowing and sleeting at just 4,000 ft.

Staying with Chris in San Jose, whom I met and rode with on my Alaska trip. He recently moved into this great location right on top of a small hill.

He keeps hassling me to just get a BMW and be done with it, haha.

Meeting up with Shridhar in Silicone Valley, where he works for Paypal now. Had lunch that day with Rajen, an old high school friend who works for Yahoo there.

Riding the beautiful Skyline Drive through the hills from San Jose to San Francisco.

And finally making it to the west coast and the Pacific Ocean. I'm going to be seeing a lot of her as I head down south and looking forward to it as I just love coastal riding; something about all that water and vastness.

I took a couple days off the bike to catch up on things that I didn't get done before heading out and servicing the bike at a mechanic friend's place of Shridhar.

Having dinner at Charanga (cuban, latin) and meeting up with old friends and new friends from ADV.

Shridhar and I doing the touristy things. But hey, it's a beautiful bridge.

The Golden Gate Bridge glowing at sunset.

Enjoying the first of many beautiful sunsets over the Pacific.

Rounding off the evening with a drink at Cliff House. Single malt scotch is my beverage of choice.

Pizza on Haight and Asbury: pesto with potato and garlic.

Having some South Indian food at Udipi since I know it's going to be tough to find this in Latin America. There's probably Indian restaurants down there, but specially South Indian cuisine is definitely more rare. This is a dosa and it's 2ft long and paper thin. It's a rice flour crepe that you dip into lentil soups and various chutneys. It was heavenly.

Shridhar had the Chole Batura, a huge fried puri (fluffy bread) that goes with garbanzo/chick pea curry.

Shridhar with all his toys. That's a para motor strapped onto the Miata and his V-Strom in the back. He also has a DR, not pictured.

Spending a few days at Stewart's place, a friend of Shirdhar who offered to help service the bike.

Mounting a new chain and the Motion Pro Chain Breaker and Riveting tool worked like a charm. Using a grinder to file down the rivets here. Hopefully the new chain lasts me through Buenos Aires.

Putting on new tires, Kenda K761 with heavy duty inner tubes to reduce the chance of punctures.

The old Kenda K270's that came off the bike. This is after 9,000 miles and I think it could've gone another 2,000 but figured best to change it when things were not rushed and had access to a shop at my own pace.

Elongating the valve stem hole, as advised by world traveler Adam (shortwayround.co.uk) to relieve stress on the valve stem to further tube life.

Stewart was a big help and he said he was glad to help me get on my way as he'd like to make a big trip someday himself.

He has a bunch of bikes in his garage and loves tinkering on them. That's a classic Moto Guzzi out there.

And I forget what kind of bike this is, but looks like a beautiful cafe racer in the making.

Taking a test ride around the city. Lots of great architecture.

I'm all done in San Francisco and ready to hit the road again. I like this city and would definitely like to live here at some point in the future.

Heading south to Paso Robles and then onto San Diego.

Jammin screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 07:59 AM
Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #103
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Couple things I noticed:
Enlarging the valve stem hole in the wheel won't do much to protect the tube if you spin the tire on the wheel. If it really spins (very unlikely) it will tear the valve stem out anyway.

What will happen is crud (sand, small stones, water and junk) will get into the hole and inside where it will grind up your tube and may cause a flat. This will happen off road riding. I would round up the hole (neatly) and find a rubber grommet to fit. Keep the crap (and WATER) out of there! Water inside will rust and corrode spoke nipples over time and potentially ruin the wheel.

I also notice your spokes nipples and wheel look a bit corroded. (from Salt back East?) Watch for cracks!

I was curious why you were grinding down the Chain pins? (Rivets) If you have the Motion Pro chain tool then you can just push the pins out in order to cut the chain. No grinding needed. A chain tool is faster and easier.

I forgot to mention one thing I noticed on your bike regards overheating.
Front Fender: I notice your fender is cut. There is a reason Suzuki (and off road bikes) have the back part of the fender there. Mud splatter.

In mud riding, without the back part of the fender, you can get a lot of mud build up on the engine and Oil Cooler. Eventually you've built up a nice insulating barrier and air will no longer cool the bike efficiently. So if you want to run the cut fender then try to keep the motor clean of mud/crud build up. Some mud is like Pottery and gets cooked on there!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #104
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Laugh Broke down on Hwy 1

I can't seem to get going on this trip, lol.

I'm broke down about 40 miles south of San Francisco on Hwy 1 and it looks like it's a busted cam chain at the least. Shridhar's arranged for a friend to come pick me up.

Once again the problem lies not with the bike but the operator! I keep making so many mistakes.

What happened is that when the engine was being rebuilt, I asked my mechanic to explain how the cam chain tensioner works and when reassmebling everything, we forgot to secure the little screw cap that goes on the tensioner housing. And while riding thru southern cali on the way up here, that screw finally fell out and I was spewing oil. I put a replacement bolt in with RTV and was good to go.

Then while at Stewart's place in SF working on other things on the bike, I found the original screw lodged in a cervice on the engine and figured I should put it back on. My problems started when I put a bit too much force and stripped that screw. Then I had to remove the tensioner housing to clean out any stripped metal. There were still enough threads for a longer bolt to catch. Then what I did wrong was when putting the tensioner housing back on the engine, I forgot to put tension on the bolt before putting it on the engine and releasing it to self-adjust the tension on the cam chain. I just started screwing in the housing with the bolt fully extended and that put too much tension on the cam chain.

I should've released something wasn't right when doing the valve check as spinning the crank required more effort than I remembered and that was because the chain was too tight now.

It still fired up fine and was running nicely, all though hotter than before but I told myself not to worry and everything would be fine. I had a funny feeling leaving this morning that something wasn't right and now it's revealed itself.

Oh well, at least it's happening here in the US with access to knowledge and parts :)

On Hwy 1, shifted up thru the gears past a town and shortly after the engine just died with no drive. No clunking sounds, no locked rear wheel, just quiet. Pulled over, tried to start again and only the starter motor was spinning freely, not turning over the engine. Opened the valve inspection caps and the intake valves are shut tight and the exhaust side is freely moving. Hand turned the crank and it's spinning effortlessly with no movement in the valves and I can see that the cam chain is also not moving. I think it snapped and has come off the gear on the crank.

Going to get back to SF and tear it open to confirm the diagnosis. You think valve train damage is gauranteed? I hope not. Hope it's only a busted chain.

Are there any ADV DR gurus in the Bay area?

Does anyone have a DR motor that I could salvage the top end from in case I need to replace the head?

I'm good. Spirits are not down and it's a beautiful day to be broken down :) Busy hwy, but 3 people stopped to offer help.

The trip is already getting off track and I'm not even across the border yet, lol. It's all good, more time to spend in northern Cali.

Jammin screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 04:25 PM
Old 03-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #105
HiJincs
Wanna' B Hooligan

Oddometer: 630
Reading this breaks my heart but I like your attitude!

You couldn't have picked a better place to break down.

May this be the worst of your troubles and your trip be more enjoyable than your greatest dreams!
HiJincs is offline   Reply With Quote