Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
DanielR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #1412
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,111
Great Video Jay.
Very interesting to be able to appreciate the different types of terrain you rode through.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #1413
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
man, this is a next level trip/ride report. thanks for taking the time to write an epic report, i've tried and understand how hard it is to keep writing detailed updates as regularly as you do. keep up the good work!

i've always wanted to insert the llama emoticon
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #1414
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,516
discovered this morning that a big chunk of my bike tools went missing! My mistake because after the rebuild I forgot to lock one of the plastic tubes on sanDRina that had my tool roll and figured that the cap rattled off and the tool roll fell out or... someone stole it when I parked at the supermarket Just bought new tools making this an expensive mistake and I couldn't find all the right tools, so making do with these replacements until South Africa. Besides that, packing is slow going but I should be a bit lighter than before

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #1415
Rider14
Rider14

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
discovered this morning that a big chunk of my bike tools went missing! My mistake because after the rebuild I forgot to lock one of the plastic tubes on sanDRina that had my tool roll and figured that the cap rattled off and the tool roll fell out or... someone stole it when I parked at the supermarket Just bought new tools making this an expensive mistake and I couldn't find all the right tools, so making do with these replacements until South Africa. Besides that, packing is slow going but I should be a bit lighter than before

That's the first such incident you've reported (that I can remember) in all your travels.

Hope you replaced the important ones, and we're all looking forward to the beginning of phase 2.

Good luck,

-Dan
Rider14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #1416
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Great Video Jay.
Very interesting to be able to appreciate the different types of terrain you rode through.
Thanks, glad you guys like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrundage View Post
man, this is a next level trip/ride report. thanks for taking the time to write an epic report, i've tried and understand how hard it is to keep writing detailed updates as regularly as you do. keep up the good work!

i've always wanted to insert the llama emoticon
Yay for llama! yup, it aint easy to keep this report going but I love it and... I'm finally up to date (yay for mj)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider14 View Post
That's the first such incident you've reported (that I can remember) in all your travels.
Hope you replaced the important ones, and we're all looking forward to the beginning of phase 2.
Good luck,
-Dan
Yeah, sad and I think it was more of a case that the cap rattled off and I spilt my tools on the highway somewhere. That was a good collection of tools that I had built up over the years I replaced the wrenches and sockets and got an adjustable wrench for the axle bolts. I lost my loctite (can't find here) and T-handles and the sockets, they only had 1/2" sockets and my wrench is a 3/8" and no adapters

Packing is almost done. Plan to roll on Sunday morning

Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #1417
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Talking

sanDRina is finally packed and we are ready to roll tomorrow! Here's my proposed route map for the rest of my journey around Africa. I'm starting from Kenya, making a quick loop through the rest of East Africa, then heading south thru Mozambique into South Africa by October where I'll take the last two exams on my masters and then I'm done with the degree. From there, I'll be turning north and heading thru Namibia, Zambia, DRC and into West Africa thru Cameroon, Chad and Niger. I'd like to go thru Mali, but that depends on whether it's stable enough by next Feb/March. If not, I'll head thru Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea and into Senegal. From there, it's up into Morocco and then Europe. This is just a plan and plans are subject to change

sanDRina's been loaded up for the journey and I'll have to get used to riding a heavy bike again. It's back to living out of my panniers and no more jeans or shoes, just cargo pants and Keen sandals

Goodbye Nairobi! It's been fantastic. I made so many great friends and had lovely experiences all over the country

Here comes Part 2 of my RTW journey...

Click on it to go to the interactive version in Google Maps.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #1418
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Cool2

Back on the road in Uganda. I left Kenya after my long break there and crossed the border at Suam River on the flanks of Mt Elgon. The route around this huge volcano went up and down its ridges, thru numerous remote villages and offered epic views down to the northern plains. I wasn't expecting to slog it thru wet mud on the second day, but hey, good practice for riding in the Congo ;) sanDRina felt unbalanced and too heavy, so I gave my front tire to another DR traveler and have to rearrange some things, but I'm loving the extra power in the engine from the rebuild. Heading to western Uganda and then Rwanda.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #1419
Ganjora
class A bollockser

Oddometer: 145
looking forward to having you in sunny south africa.
Ganjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #1420
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,664

Thanks again for keeping this report going!
2. To ignore an event until the last minute so as to avoid any expectations of attendance, but then show up anyway.
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #1421
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Breakdown in southwest Uganda :/ sanDRina was wobbling on the dirt track thru Queen Elizabeth National Park and I saw that multiple spokes were broken in her rear wheel (spokes are those thin metal rods that connect the center of the wheel, the hub, to the rim). I had this new rear wheel hub and spokes installed in Nairobi because the old hub was worn down from multiple bearing changes thru South America. It's a strange failure. Locally available Chinese parts wont fit, so I've got my support crew in Nairobi in action. Milan has reconditioned my old hub and fitted it with near bearings (thanks for the quick work, buddy). Now, Mariko has just put it and the old spokes on an overnight bus to Kampala where Mariska will put it on a bus to Kihiihi, the small town where I'm at. It's near the DRC border, there's cellphone coverage, intermittent electricity and bucket baths. It's all good, something about it being an adventure when things stop going to plan ;)

Jammin screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 07:47 AM
Old 08-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #1422
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
Spokes

Bummer. It looks like a tensile failure, the head of the nipple has pulled off where it is peened over and localised stresses are created. The other weak spots are the thread where it necks down from the full diameter into the nipple, although these look like rolled threads, so should be OK, and the head of the spoke in the hub, where its also peened over and localised streses are generated leading to cracking. This suggests to me that the spokes are all too tight.

Steve
Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #1423
Jammin OP
Living on a DR

Yay, repair was a success! JamminGlobal rides again :) Replacement wheel hub and spokes arrived this morning from Nairobi (thanks support crew) and Willy, the most experienced mechanic in the small town of Kihiihi in SW Uganda set about re-doing my wheel. I guess fancy aluminum spokes and nipples aren't cut out for sanDRina. The original steel ones are back on. I roll out tomorrow to Lake Bunyoni.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #1424
Rider14
Rider14

Oddometer: 153
Good thing Willy had his scrubs on for surgery on that wheel!

Keep us posted - the quick live updates are most welcome.

Ride safe,

- Dan
Rider14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #1425
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post

Yay, repair was a success! JamminGlobal rides again :) Replacement wheel hub and spokes arrived this morning from Nairobi (thanks support crew) and Willy, the most experienced mechanic in the small town of Kihiihi in SW Uganda set about re-doing my wheel. I guess fancy aluminum spokes and nipples aren't cut out for sanDRina. The original steel ones are back on. I roll out tomorrow to Lake Bunyoni.
Man Jay you're mechanic skills and intelligence are increasing with experience. You can never part with SanDrina!