Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #31
NMTrailboss OP
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobiker
Curtis, put at least one beer down and continue posting.

Nice shot Mark! Great weekend!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #32
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,124
one thousand two hundred and seventy five

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #33
NMTrailboss OP
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly
one thousand two hundred and seventy five
Not enough??
Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #34
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss
Not enough??
post away

Old 03-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #35
NMTrailboss OP
Team Dead End

Mike's Sky Rancho is a beautiful place with a lot of history. I've wanted to stay here for years. This night we had the place all to ourselves. No one staying here but us. Very quiet and peaceful night. We wandered the grounds for awhile and took in the scenery...

...and then headed into the lobby to take in all the souvenirs left by riders and racers for many years. What an amazing place with so much history!

Paul planted his happy ass down on the nearest couch and took in the view while enjoying a cold one!

Unfortunately, with business slow due to the economy and the recent rains, the bar was closed while we were there, but the two young ladies running the place that night let us in to enjoy the posters and memorabilia and take some photos.

Kevin: "I'm sure I've been here before!?!"

The tough day was worth it! This place rocks!!

After some searching, Kevin found the business card he had pinned up here about 8 years ago when he owned a restaurant in Moab. He couldn't believe he found it! Pretty cool!

Found some of the big boys here as well...

Larry Roeseler...

Malcolm Smith...

Johnny Campbell...

The true Baja legends!

After drooling on the wall candy for awhile, we cleaned up and headed back to the dining room for a great steak dinner...

...and headed back to the room for some shut eye. Lights out early here when the generators shut down at 8:30 pm...pitch black!

When morning came, we headed down for some breakfast...

...and went back to the lobby to leave a couple of our own stickers!

I had to fulfill a promise I made to brewtus before the trip that I would leave a little piece of our local trials club at Mike's, so here it is for you brewtus!

We had a quick pow wow to check the maps. Kevin said there are three ways out of Mike's headed to the Pacific coast, but based on the road conditions we had seen yesterday, we would take the easiest way out and skip the technical stuff today. Sounded good to me.
Geared up and hit the trail!

Easiest trail indeed!!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #36
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,882

Great report...
Old 03-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #37
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,314
Old 03-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #38
Jimmym1296
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Really enjoying the RR. Snow finally melting here. Getting the itch. Haven't been able to ride since last July when I went ladder diving and had to have surgery on my elbow and shoulder. Almost done with rehab from my December shoulder fix. Can't wait. All these great RRs are getting the juices flowing.
Jimmym1296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #39
NMTrailboss OP
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmym1296
Really enjoying the RR. Snow finally melting here. Getting the itch. Haven't been able to ride since last July when I went ladder diving and had to have surgery on my elbow and shoulder. Almost done with rehab from my December shoulder fix. Can't wait. All these great RRs are getting the juices flowing.
Jimmy, sorry to hear about the elbow and shoulder. Hope you're back to riding soon! Should have more story posted soon...stay tuned!!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #40
NMTrailboss OP
Team Dead End

February 16th

Finally we pulled out of Mikes with a spare gallon of fuel on our sides headed out the "easy" way to the Pacific coast. Plan was to ride to the Observatory Road via El Coyote, head to Mex. Highway 1, go check out an old ship wreck on the Pacific coast, run several miles of beach headed south and eventually end the day in El Rosario.

The ride from Mikes got interesting almost immediately as we crossed a small stream and began climbing up a shelf road. Within the first mile we ran into a big rock slide which had come down fromt he hill above the road and covered the road in large rocks and a dirt pile about 10' to 12' high. Here we go again!

You can see the continuation of the road in the right side of the photo. This took about 20 minutes to get all three bikes through.

At last! Over the rock slide! You can still see Mike's in the background...not too much progress so far. Oh well, it's still early!

We continued about another half mile and ran into more road destruction.

Paul had stalled his bike while crossing this series of ruts and was having difficulty restarting it. After several attempts, he had taken his helmet off to cool off. Several more kick attempts later, it fired up so he rode the rest of the way up the hill through the ruts to get to some level ground...

...and when we reached the level part, I saw fuel pouring out from under the seat! I thought at first that the carburetor was overflowing fuel, but the amount of fuel was too much. It was soaking his pants and boots and running down the frame! We finally realized that in the process of getting through the ruts on the steep hill climb, somehow he had punctured his spare fuel container and lost most of the gallon of gas on his pants and the ground.

We poured the remainder of his fuel into the bike and tried to clean the spilled fuel from his pants. All this fun and we are still within sight of Mike's!

Off we go to see what else lies ahead. We actually made it almost a mile before more destruction! The next obstacle was an uphill boulder field with ruts down the sides. Fun, fun!!

Finally at the top of this hill, we were able to ride for a couple more miles with only slightly technical sections and even some smooth stretches! Despite the challenge, the scenery was beautiful and weather was great!

Woot! Second gear for a short stretch!!

We reached the downhill that Kevin had warned us about which he said is usually the only technical part of this route, but with what we had already ridden through, he wasn't sure how bad it would be.

It was pretty bad, but part of it had a little path down the side that we were able to cheat on. The rains had taken all the dirt from the roads and only left rocks and boulders to play on!

As we reached the final switchback, the biggest rut down the right side crossed the road and washed it out pretty good. Kevin and Paul decided it was easier to just drop off the side of the road to the switchback about 30 feet below.

A short distance after that switchback, we decended into a narrow canyon and found the creek was still running. It was obvious that the water had been very deep through here during the floods and there was debris everywhere. This crossing was challenging, but doable...

...got across this one and started wondering how many more crossings there would be in this canyon.

It only took about 50 yards to find the next crossing, and it was gone!

The road had been completely washed away for about the next 80 yards or so and the drop off into the creek was about 5 feet! WTF!!!! We were not meant to get to the Pacific coast I'm guessing!

We got off the bikes and walked the area and the creek bed for several hundred yards and three more crossings of the road to see if it would be worth our time to bulldog the bikes through this canyon and destruction...

...and finally decided it was going to take too much effort to continue and we had no idea what lied ahead. It had only been getting worse as we rode away from Mike's Sky Ranch so there was no reason to believe it would get better as we went farther west. We had a 200+ mile day planned this day and so far had moved only 8 miles in over two hours! It was still fairly early in the day so we decided to back track through all the devistation back to Mike's and try one more route out of Valle de Trinidad to get to the Pacific side.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #41
NMTrailboss OP
Team Dead End

The backtrack to Mike's was no easier...

...down the boulder fields...

...and back across the rock slide on the shelf road.

This shot shows the steepness of the drop off on the canyon side of the road. Don't want to mis-step on that one slab rock!

It took us exactly another two hours to complete the 8 mile stretch back to Mike's.

It was mid-day now and we were fairly whooped! We had made no progress so far this day and had used about a gallon of gas each, not counting the gallon Paul spilled into his boots!

We went back into see our hosts from the previous night to refill the Camelbacks and have a soda and a short break.

After catching our breath from the morning's adventure, we headed back down the main road to Mex. Highway 3 and down the highway to Valle de Trinidad to refuel.

I know the attendant at the Pemex in V de T must have been thinking we were lost since this was our third time filling up in less than 20 hours!

We checked the map and located what should be the main dirt route from V de T to Mex. Highway 1. After wandering through town for a few blocks, the GPS showed we were on the right road and we headed off at a good speed. It felt great to open up the bikes for the first time in awhile!

Ahhhh, but it was short lived as we headed down the valley and pulled up to this sight!

Damn!! Foiled again! It just wasn't meant to be on this trip I guess. This wash out was the worst one we had seen yet. Wiped out the road and left debris clinging to the culvert which had to be over twenty feet high!

Unbelieveable!! It's amazing what Mother Nature can do when she's pissed off!
Look at where the water level had been on both sides of the canyon above and below the "bridge".

And here's a side wash draining water from Valle de Trinidad to the main wash.

That did it! We were not meant to go west on this day! Uncle!!

New plan...decided to ride pavement and the Laguna Diablo road back to San Felipe to search for the best fish tacos and cold beer in town and come up with a way to get back on track for this ride tomorrow!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #42
NMTrailboss OP
Team Dead End

The blast down the highwy went fast and soon we pulled up to the back way to San Felipe along Laguna Diablo.

The dirt route is long and fast. About 40 miles long, but goes through some great desert scenery along the base of Picacho del Diablo.

Finally a little more than an hour and one more primitive Federale check point later, we arrived back in San Felipe where this ride had began two days earlier! We topped off with fuel...

...and discovered that Paul had brought a few souvineers from the desert with him!

After checking back in to the same room we had been in two days earlier...

...we cleaned up and got ready to walk down to the main part of town for some grub and cold beers!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #43
NMTrailboss OP
Team Dead End

I decided to talk a short walk down the beach while everyone was getting cleaned up and got some shots of the local wildlife!

After everyone was cleaned up and had a couple of beers, we headed down the main drag in search of some fish and shrimp tacos for an appetizer.

We gave this place a try and were not disappionted!

The tacos were amazing and I love the various types of hot sauces and salsas available to try!

Paul hung out for the oysters.

He said they were very good and fresh! Not my thing, but I forced one down just to try it. Still not my thing!

We headed down the street to Rice and Beans for dinner and to check out more racing memorabilia.

Seems where ever you go in Baja, this man's face just keeps popping up! Hi Malcolm!!

Dinner was fantastic as they all had been so far.

The lighthouse was cool to watch from outside the restaurant.

Finally it was time to put the bikes to sleep...

...and hit the sack. It had been a long day. We had ridden for two full days (and another 1/4 day) so far and seen some amazing scenery and sights as well as the devistation from the floods of a few weeks earlier and were now back where we had started. Tomorrow we needed to decide over breakfast what the plan "B" was going to be and hope we could still see some of the routes we had come down here to enjoy!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #44
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Old 03-10-2010, 12:50 AM   #45
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Thumb

... a real ADVENTURE ride!! ;-)

Nice!! good pics!!