Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,680
Now thats what I call ADV riding!
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:55 AM   #48
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,921
Knarly indeed Curtis! This day would have been a handful on a smaller bike.
I'm sure it was quite a challenge on loaded up 650s and carrying full packs!

Good stuff!!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #49
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,774

Stay tuned, kids. More to come.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #50
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,590
Wow. Getting turned back over and over sucks for sure, but I can assure you that it beats shovelling snow.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #51
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,438
Wow, what an epic day. But, I bet those margaritas made it all better!
Region Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #52
NMTrailboss OP
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley
Wow, what an epic day. But, I bet those margaritas made it all better!
Indeed!!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #53
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Normally Rue1 gets those margaritas that look like blue toilet bowl freshener. That one actually looks.........acceptable.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #54
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,693
Great report, we were 3 days ahead of you. We left Mike's on the 13th.

Seeing your report makes me wish we were on smaller bikes!

Keep it coming
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #55
pepebaja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Mike's Sky Ranch Endurocross

Looks like you guys qualified for Mike's upcoming endurocross mixed with a little of Trial de Espana(Baja)
I rode with a group of friends during the Baja 1000 weekend and were actually on the course from Valle T towards El Coyote behind by the first 5 overall bikes of the race and the terrain was very easy and forgiving even though much ruts were created by prenunners.
I've been riding down there and never,never have i seen so much devastation that mother nature gave to those trails. I feel pitty for Mike JR and all the families that he supports with his hotel and the same to Melling family at El Coyote and Melling ranch. They survive with the income generated by off roaders and imagine the $$$$ that will take to take a D9 caterpillar to recreate the trials .
I hope its done soon. Baja 500 and Baja 1000 cannot be done with those road conditions.
Maybe create a new score category for rock crawlers
Old 03-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #56
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #57
NMTrailboss OP
Team Dead End

February 17th

The next morning in San Felipe greeted us with another spectacular sunrise! It would be easy to get used to this view every morning.

We had a quick breakfast and sat with the map for awhile coming up with a plan "B" after being turned away from every attempt the past two days. The decision was to do a long, but easy day and head south towards Gonzaga and over to Catavina on Mex. Highway 1 and continue on to the Pacific coast in El Rosario. That would put us back on our original route, but one day behind schedule.

With a plan in hand, we geared up and headed south towards Puertecitos.

We started along a power line dirt road Kevin knew for about 20 miles...

...which had some more race course markers. What a blast!

We pulled into Puertecitos to this interesting place for a break, but they were closed at the time.

Interesting indeed!

Kevin led us through Puertecitos and down to the beach a little ways south of town.

With the tide out, the "beach" was very rocky, but was still a beautiful place for a break!

Several miles later, the pavement ended and we continued down the old highway route towards Gonzaga. It was much more fun riding once the pavement ended!

This is a beautiful stretch of road and it's hard not to slow down and soak up the Sea of Cortez and the fantastic desert scenery.

Great road!!

After another Federale check point, we pulled into Rancho Grande on the outskirts of Gonzaga Bay looking for gas.

The Pemex across the road was closed. Kevin seemed to know there may
be fuel here as he disappeared into the small convenience store and returned several minutes with a young man named Juan that said he could get us some gas.

With the bikes topped off, we're off to Coco's!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #58
NMTrailboss OP
Team Dead End

Twenty fast miles of dirt later, we pulled into Coco's Corner and Coco came out on his ATV to greet us with some cold Coke's. What a great guy!

We went ahead and rode inside his yard and parked. Coco was a very nice person and very talkative. He gave us some advise to heed about damage to routes in the area and suggested staying on the main route to the highway. Kevin knew a couple of other routes out of the area, but decided to take Coco's advise and take the safe route through.

BTW...nice sticker Duke!

We all signed Coco's book...

...and placed the second set of NMTA Trials stickers I had promised to do!

We even found where Kevin and his group from three years ago had signed!

Almost immediately after signing, Coco begins doodling in the book. Very interesting man and great stop along the route to Highway 1!

After a few more minutes of sight seeing around the area, we jumped back on the bikes and headed out to Mex. Highway 1.

After reaching the pavement, we turned northwest and headed to Catavina for gas.

We hooked up with Perfecto in Catavina for gas. Kevin seems to know everyone down here!

Unfortunately, in order to make it to El Rosario by sundown, we had to run 75 paved miles on the highway into town. This was a long stretch, but was still very scenic. We were feeling the pain by the time we pulled up at the motel in El Rosario though! Ahhhhh...the Baja Cactus! This would be our home for the night.

Antonio Munoz, the owner of the motel, was one of the poeple Kevin had been emailing before our trip for information on the floods and damage and had been very helpful with info. and advice. Good people down here!

While stripping off our gear and opening our first beers of the evening, Kevin notices my rear tire is flat! I must have ridden it for at least twenty miles down the highway and never noticed it! Just goes to show how stiff the Maxxis Desert IT sidewalls are!

Time to get it repaired before dinner. Kevin found some bricks to use as a bike stand...

...and off we went with the tube change!

I had Paul working on the bike after awhile with the excuse that "someone needs to photograph this and I've got the camera!" It seemed to work!

This was the hole in the tire, but by the time we found it, the object was gone. Pretty big puncture though and went through both sides of the tube. At least it wasn't in the middle of nowhere!

We used a piece of spare camelback hose to transfer the tire sealant from the old tube to the new one. Worked well!

After finishing the repair (Maxxis sidewalls are a mother to install and bead up!), we locked the bikes up and headed to the room.

The rooms at the Baja Cactus are beautiful and I would recommend this place for anyone riding through this area. Beds were the best of this trip!

The room we were in had two beds below and a loft with two more full sized beds above. I think the whole thing was about $38! Hard to beat!

After cleaning up a bit, we walked down the road to Mama Espinozas for dinner. This place is another piece of Baja race history with many posters, photos and memorabilia from many Baja 1000 races.

Story has it that Mama's was the very first check point of the first Baja 1000 race in 1967 and she served lobster burritos to all the racers that stopped there!

We ordered a big meal and it was amazing! I Kevin and I had steaks and shrimp and Paul ordered fresh lobster. Mama also brought us some goat cheese and fresh tortillas along with the usual chips and salsas. Fantastic meal!

After dinner, we chatted with Mama some more and checked out all the posters and photos. Very cool place!

And here's that Malcolm guy again! He keeps popping up everywhere we go! This was a great old photo signed by Malcolm from the early '70's riding a 1967 Husky. Gotta love it!

We walked back to the hotel and did a quick patch job on the tube...

WTF!!

...and called it a night! It was great to finally have a full day without having to turn around and retreat! Back on route and headed to the Pacific tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #59
themanfromars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Thumb

looks like a blast..i just got back from my first ride down there and am now addicted to these Baja RR's...really appreciate the pix! those roads were a mess!
themanfromars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #60
temekuguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Great Report

Thanks for the great report! Nice to see Coco is doing well.
temekuguy is offline   Reply With Quote