User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Patrol OP
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,306
Converting Land Rover Discovery to Diesel

We have a 2004 Discovery that we love, but the gas mileage is ridiculous. Our Suburban was a hybrid by comparison. I just got a promotion that came with a company car, and was contemplating selling the Rover. Then I started pondering the idea of converting it to diesel. I'm a weekend mechanic at best, in fact, that's giving me too much credit, but I've been maintaining our cars/trucks and my bikes successfully. Jesse James I am not. This would be by far the biggest project I've tackled.
Does this sound do-able? Is it going to be so expensive that it's just dumb? I have a lead on a very low mile diesel motor from a Toureg that got written off in Michigan, and I was thinking about using that. What do you guys think about time, cost, probability of success?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,992
Only thing that would really put me off that toureg plant is the engine management and probably security system built into it. Old engines dont' have any b.s. I don't know the toureg has this or not, but I would consider it.

Also to go diesel you may need to rethink the transmission, and axle gearing.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
Your best bet is to get a turbo diesel out of a defender 110. I don't recall seeing diesels in any other range rover products here in Germnany. Being in Canada, you should have more diesel powered vehicles than we do in America.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,066
There is a conversion kit aval.. Can't recall of the top of my head the name of the company that offers it though. Uses a Brazilian made 2.8l strait six power stroke. Or try to get a TD5 out of the EU.

Edit; here you go
http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/index...egory&cat_id=1

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
The Cummins 4BT motor is nice for conversions because it's all mechanical* - no electronics to deal with. However, doing a conversion like this requires a LOT of fabrication, scrounging, and money. I recently saw a delivery van for sale with a 4BT, and at around $3000.00, it was about the cheapest I've ever seen a 4BT with a transmission.
*it's also reported to be loud, rattly (well duh, it's a cummins) a bit high on vibration, and some versions don't make much power).
Google 'Diesel Conversions' and see if you can join a forum.
Cheers,

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grider Pirate
The Cummins 4BT motor is nice for conversions because it's all mechanical* - no electronics to deal with. However, doing a conversion like this requires a LOT of fabrication, scrounging, and money. I recently saw a delivery van for sale with a 4BT, and at around $3000.00, it was about the cheapest I've ever seen a 4BT with a transmission.
*it's also reported to be loud, rattly (well duh, it's a cummins) a bit high on vibration, and some versions don't make much power).
Google 'Diesel Conversions' and see if you can join a forum.
Cheers,
I think a 4BT weighs about 750 lbs., though.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead
I think a 4BT weighs about 750 lbs., though.
No argument there! All the Cummins egines are HEAVY.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Mully
Kineticist

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol
We have a 2004 Discovery that we love, but the gas mileage is ridiculous. Our Suburban was a hybrid by comparison. I just got a promotion that came with a company car, and was contemplating selling the Rover. Then I started pondering the idea of converting it to diesel. I'm a weekend mechanic at best, in fact, that's giving me too much credit, but I've been maintaining our cars/trucks and my bikes successfully. Jesse James I am not. This would be by far the biggest project I've tackled.
Does this sound do-able? Is it going to be so expensive that it's just dumb? I have a lead on a very low mile diesel motor from a Toureg that got written off in Michigan, and I was thinking about using that. What do you guys think about time, cost, probability of success?
I wouldn't regard what you're proposing as a viable project: you'll have to change gearbox, wiring harness, trans crossmember, exhaust, radiator, fuel tank, fuel filler, springs, and more in addition to the engine. Run, don't walk, away from the idea.

Before you write off your DII, there are some simple things to look at on the fuel economy issue: O2 and Mass Airflow Sensors, mufflers, cats, fuel type.

mully
Old 03-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,377
I'd do a comparison first.

What kind of gas mileage do you get now?

What kind of mileage does a defender get with a diesel? Or, find a similar vehicle that weighs the same with a diesel for a comparison.

I'm guessing on the fly but, I would wager your conversion to probably cost at least $4-5K. Probably more for your local.

Figure out how much you would gain by the extra fuel mileage.

How long would it take to recoup your outlay? Is it worth it?

Diesel here in the US is more expensive than the least expensive gas at the pump.

$4-5K or more, is a lot of gas!

Me, I'd find an affordable used vehicle that got good/great fuel mileage and drive the Discovery less often.
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
D1 and 2 were available with the international / LR 2/300tdi 4 cylinder and later with the LR TD5 5 cylinder diesel.
But the conversion would be really expensive. Too expensive ...
Old 03-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Years ago - I forget how many - the 300tdi was offered as a common crate motor/replacement for the Buick engine. I think that applied to both D's and Discos.
I'm sure the newer Discos are more complex.
The only redeeming qualities of the new Rovers has gotta be true passion and love of the brand.
If you never look in a mirror, you can justify most anything...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
Patrol OP
VALE 46!

Thanks Mully, you may have saved me from my own foolishness. Maybe a Honda Pilot is a better idea.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
Lone Rider

Quote:
Thanks Mully, you may have saved me from my own foolishness. Maybe a Honda Pilot is a better idea.
Rovers may be the epitome of cult vehicles, or at least very close. Some of them were crap-on-a-stick, but loved by many people. The cult vehicle thing can be a lot of fun.
I never had one, but still would like to have a D90. The fit and finish wasn't good - OK, call it really bad - and their logical value was 1/3rd of their selling price. But they're cool, on a personal level. I like the seating position, myself, and the wheelbase, and some other stuff.

Sexy isn't always logical....

Lone Rider screwed with this post 03-08-2010 at 06:13 PM
Old 03-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
Patrol OP
VALE 46!

My wife grew up in England and she's wanted one ever since. I got an incredible deal on it. It had belonged to the owner of a LR/Jaguar dealership. 13000 miles and 50% off, hard to go wrong. I don't think we'll get rid of it, but the way it drinks gas is unreal. I've never owned anything that came close to it as a guzzler.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
Lone Rider

Quote:
...50% off....
Of what?