Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
ScenicCitySVCult OP
All Dangle No Angle

Oddometer: 103
Kawasaki KE100

Anybody had one?

I WANT one desperately. Looking for first hand reports on how they are to own/ride. If anybody knows of one in the Southeastern U.S. for sale, let me know!!
ScenicCitySVCult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
Kiba
Dances With Huskies

Oddometer: 100
It was my first bike. I had a 2001 chassis with bits cobbled together off of older models from the junkyard. Light, smoky, not too fast in stock form (though I have seen it mentioned here on ADVrider that they can be tuned for a decent amount of power, since they are rotary valve two-strokes).

Mine did an indicated 60 from what I remember, which means it probably was cruising at around 45-50 in top gear.

Took alot of abuse from bad riding/overtaxing as well as stupid stuff (like using premix in the tank, although the oil injection worked) and never gave me trouble.

They can be fun bikes. I never did any real modifications to mine, but there is some potential for surviving in traffic too as long as you don't think you'll be doing slab on it.

1986 Yamaha XT600 (daily driver) 14,876 miles
1986 Yamaha TT350 (dirt supermoto) 5021 miles
1978 Yamaha XT500 15371 miles
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,214
I had one, bought it for the wife........you know the rest.

Fun off road, but don't expect to climb loose or high hills. Great on the street, much quicker than a Honda Trail 90, so no feeling of impending death by following traffic away from a light like the Honda.

As previously mentioned, don't expect to superslab it though.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,194
My dad had one.
It was 'the' bike, I wanted a bike so my dad bought one and thought we would take turns.

He would go out, and after 20 minutes I thought he fell and cracked his head open.
He would come back and I would go out, and he thought I fell and cracked my head open.

After a few times, he broke down and lent me some of the money to buy a Suzuki TC90. ( I had to pay him back)

We had loads of fun riding together, and my friends had a TS90 and a DT100.

The old rotory valve bikes made very good power.
I remember my dad's bike being a little bit bigger then the tc90, and maybe better suspension.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
Oldbutslow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
That engine would run! Suspension was non-existent, but what do you expect. The battery and charging system was even worse. But, I loved the little beast for what it was.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #6
ScenicCitySVCult OP
All Dangle No Angle

I desperately want to pick one up...apparently they can be had for under $1k?

It seems like a lot of fun...great little grocery getter/around town/get to work bike. Good for letting friends learn on...plus it's a 2 stroke with a title and tag!

If anyone knows of one for sale in the Southeast, let me know!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #7
Kiba
Dances With Huskies

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicCitySVCult View Post
I desperately want to pick one up...apparently they can be had for under $1k?

It seems like a lot of fun...great little grocery getter/around town/get to work bike. Good for letting friends learn on...plus it's a 2 stroke with a title and tag!

If anyone knows of one for sale in the Southeast, let me know!
Should absolutely be less than $1k even if it's in great condition- I sold mine for $650 in the end back in 2006 and it looked pretty nice.

The one thing I never did was get decent street tires- the stock knobbies made the bike very vibey on the street. It's such a light bike even something cheap like a Michellin Gazelle would probably be alright for street usage.

1986 Yamaha XT600 (daily driver) 14,876 miles
1986 Yamaha TT350 (dirt supermoto) 5021 miles
1978 Yamaha XT500 15371 miles
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
ScenicCitySVCult OP
All Dangle No Angle

Well...somebody needs to sell me one!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicCitySVCult View Post
Anybody had one?

I WANT one desperately. Looking for first hand reports on how they are to own/ride. If anybody knows of one in the Southeastern U.S. for sale, let me know!!
I had one back in the late 70's. My Brother "tuned" the motor at Western WA University and when I got it back from him it wouldn't run that great until it was near maximum revs then it would come on with a big hit. I have a huge leg injury scar from that little stinker coming on the pipe during a wheelie. I had to hide the wound from my folks or they would have taken the bike away. I almost threw up when the wound drained old blood and icky stuff. The motorcycle broke its crankshaft drag racing my buddy on his MT 250 Honda. Fast fast fast.
Seattle
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
Twotrak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I have one. I bought it to teach family members to ride because it's about as small and light as you can go and still be street legal and have a real clutch. I've had it for several years and it mostly just sits now. I got a bigger rear sprocket for it and now the top speed is 53 miles per hour (gps confirmed). It seems comfortable though cruising only at 35 to 40 mph. So the way people drive nowadays it really is dangerous to take on most streets beyond a neighborhood. With the lower gearing it does work as an ultralight trail bike. The suspension is the limiting factor if you are a full sized adult - you can bottom it out riding in the yard. By the way, you might try posting this in Thumpers. I know some of the folks over there ride them. You know, people tend to laugh at little bikes nowadays but as I have gotten older and weaker a 205 pound street legal bike with a low seat height makes sense. I think that under 50 it might be as fast as my friends TW200. It weighs 70 pounds less than a TW and in first you can lift the front end with the throttle. If you ride by yourself and fall it won't crush you and you can pull it out of any situation by yourself. Plus I like the sound.
Twotrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,214
The older ones were called G5. They also had the G4, basically same bike but with a dual range tranny for off road work.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
Twoung
n00b

Oddometer: 7
They're neat little bikes. I bought one for 200 bucks, rode the thing wide open everywhere I went and then the piston/cylinder finally gave out. So i sold it. Don't expect very much from them. It's really fun to just hop on and give er hell. It's basically a grocery getter. Yes, they can be made faster. But good luck finding the parts for performance. They stopped making them in 2001.
Twoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #13
Chief Ten Bears
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Here's mine:

Chief Ten Bears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
sslidewaze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I had one as a first bike. It was a blue 1977. Dad bought it for me in 1979 when i was 12. I rode that thing all over a couple 1000 acres of fields, and gravel and dirt roads. I remember running out of two stroke oil a couple of times and putting 30 weight in the resevoir. Never did tell my dad that. I couldn't kill that little bike and road it daily for four or five years, then I replaced it with a 79 Husky 250cr....

Wish I had it now for my kids.
'79 CB400 Hawk
sslidewaze is offline   Reply With Quote